Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 02:53 AM
Fire Giant

I suppose I dreamed doing the aviak guards and the hermit in lake rathe, or Osgarden in the jail in high keep ? Or doing the bar in sola in the 30's ? I wish I could remember the entire sequence but I soloed on him most of the way, I did group some in high keep just because I was there already for Osgarden.

Dunno where I got all the info from but it was out there I certainly didn't know about all those spots on my own.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:59 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balimon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I suppose I dreamed doing the aviak guards and the hermit in lake rathe, or Osgarden in the jail in high keep ? Or doing the bar in sola in the 30's ? I wish I could remember the entire sequence but I soloed on him most of the way, I did group some in high keep just because I was there already for Osgarden.

Dunno where I got all the info from but it was out there I certainly didn't know about all those spots on my own.
You probly did it in velious or luclin and are misremembering. Its ok, we all experience false memories.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When did "being able to solo as untwinked melee character" become our standard of a good server? (That's rhetorical, not picking on you Jimbo.) In the classic EverQuest I remember melees didn't solo, or at least not consistently for experience (they totally soloed for fun and maybe loot, but only soloed for XP if they absolutely couldn't find a group or were killing time while they waited for one).

Maybe in Luclin as more Fungis accrued, mudflation increased the available twink items, the bazaar made buying them easier, AAs led to free mass Aegolism buffs, and things like Paludal Cavern introduced EZ mode for alts ... but in Classic through Velious it felt to me like less than 1% of the server had the resources to twink out a character anywhere close to P99 twink levels. Just about everyone was busy working on their first character (or they worked on alts when their main wasn't close to 60). Of the people who did have twinking resources, most twinked out hybrids and casters. And out of the ones that twinked melees the vast vast majority grouped with those twinked melees.

A warrior soloing for levels in classic was a freak, if they even existed at all. Or at least that's the EQ I remember.

P.S. Ok, now go ahead and tell me your stories of how your server was full of soloing twinked melees in Kunark .... I know this forum, I'm waiting ...
This is rather the point I was getting at, on blue it is trivial to get a base level of fear that way overpowers what a new player might use on live.

It actually raises a second issue; I'm not sure npc content is tuned correctly, certainly at low level. Even in the most rudimentary gear mobs seem to be easily mitigated. I suggest low level mobs may have an under tuned attack score.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:38 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekreant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So what youre saying is youd rather play world of warcraft. They have that. They have that RIGHT NOW.
WOW is a bit too casual for me . I like the idea that if you bite more than you can chew you are potentially going to lose all your gear . Also XP loss is great isn't it , makes you really hate dying .

However EQ on p1999 is pretty easy if you have a lot of platinum ( In which you can just buy the best twinking gear and snooze to 50 with fungi tunic only 45k plat? )

I would join Green Server if given the choice .
Old 02-10-2019, 10:06 AM
Fire Giant

I get so sick of people complaining about the server maturity. If you play 10 hours a day, whether you start day 1, or today, you're going to be a "have". If you play casually and have a few hours a week, you're going to be a "have not". Time is linear.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:23 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekreant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You probly did it in velious or luclin and are misremembering. Its ok, we all experience false memories.
I'm sure your memory is perfect. Now I remember why I don't post much on the forums. Dick.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristlebaner [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I get so sick of people complaining about the server maturity. If you play 10 hours a day, whether you start day 1, or today, you're going to be a "have". If you play casually and have a few hours a week, you're going to be a "have not". Time is linear.
This is fundamentally wrong. You cannot earn the same amount of plat in the same timeframe as they did. You could play 18 hrs a day for 3 more years and NEVER EVER get close to the amount of plat people who did the same thing from the launch of the server. Facts are facts.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
This is fundamentally wrong. You cannot earn the same amount of plat in the same timeframe as they did. You could play 18 hrs a day for 3 more years and NEVER EVER get close to the amount of plat people who did the same thing from the launch of the server. Facts are facts.
The general point people make is that they are just so far behind they will never "catch up". The reality is that most of the people who say this, would never "catch up" even if the server launched last week.

Are there people on this server with millions of platinum? Yes. Do you need millions to do just about everything in EQ? No.

Example:

Player 1 starts an enchanter. He has 10 hours a day to play. Probably gets to 60 and can join Aftermath in 3 months, maybe 2. In the first 6 months of raiding, he is in mostly no-drop gear, substantially better than what 90% of the server wears. He also has won a few 100k+ items that go for relatively low DKP and should not be sold. Things slip through the cracks and he makes 300-500k by selling droppables. He is also a well geared 60 enchanter and 10 hours a day will allow you to camp for hundreds of thousands more plat anyways.

Player 2 starts an enchanter. He has 2 hours a day to play. He gets to 60 in 15 months. He can't join any meaningful guild because his play time is too low and will never maintain the minimum DKP requirement. He joins a casual guild that has to team up with another guild to down even trivial targets. He has 8k in the bank and struggles to buy even his level 60 spells.

I would be willing to bet that most of the folks that whine that we need a new server are player 2. And always will be, whether they start day 1 or day 1000.

It's just how these things go [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-10-2019, 09:20 PM
Kobold

Something tells me that if the p1999 devs actually wanted to release the Green server they could probably do it in about 3 months. They don't probably because this is just a hobby and if they don't really feel like working on something this day or that day they won't. Such is the life of a hobbyist programmer.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:46 PM
Planar Protector

I dont understand why every single time someone posts about being interested in a fresh new server, I get to read 20+ posts of arrogant asshats with their noses pointed in the air commenting in various ways about the insane population, how the future items will be perma-camped, how neckbeards will still be neckbeards and casuals will still be casuals...ect

I'm 99% sure everyone who is interested in a new server knows how it goes. They know the shit show that goes on for pre-nerf items and camps. It doesn't change the fact that a lot of people are STILL interested in a new server because they want the playing field to reset to zero again, regardless of the insanity.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Closed Thread