Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 09:10 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Enchanter; should I reroll?

Just started playing again with RL friends after not playing for 5 years or so -- my highest level character is a 23 DE Enchanter -- Apparently I put 25 points into INT and 5 into CHA, which I understand is the opposite of what one ought to do, and that DE Hide no longer grants invis vs undead, which is why I recall choosing that race in the first place (afk purposes).

Should I consider rerolling? Is Character creation INT-vs-CHA that big of a deal? How many hours would it take me to get back up to level 23, roughly? Have pretty decent gear, from doing a dozen-or-so Stein of Moggok runs back when I played before.

Thanks in advance for advice.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:32 PM
Planar Protector

You been here since 2010. Your highest character is 23. Don't even consider re-rolling. The whole cha-int thing is really only relevant in later levels and occasionally for corpse recovery. You can simply focus primarily on getting charisma gear. i think a De is perfect for you actually, because it wil probably take you forever to get gaz ring and the hide will come in handy for charm breaking.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:53 PM
Sarnak

Can get your CHA up pretty easily with cheap gear, I'd just keep leveling your dark elf.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:59 AM
Kobold

I have a high-elf Enchanter who did the same as you: only 5 into CHA.

In the end-game, when calming through a dungeon naked with nothing but your starting stats and a +50 CHA buff, that extra +25 CHA will feel very worth it. You can lose sleep over that shit. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Even at 60, I have to sacrifice most of my gear slots for some pitiful amount of CHA on a crappy item just to stay max, but I don't have a Neriad Shawl or epic yet.

You can get to level 13ish with just the Kaladim bone chips quests, so the question for you is about whether you want to grind ~10 levels in Oasis / Unrest before you reach parity with your old main. If your friends are also lowbies, then perhaps it'd help you reconnect with them faster? IMO, I would never even consider starting another Enchanter without max-CHA, but I don't hate my Enchanter main for his original sins.
[53 Channeler] Xenk
[59 Luminary] Problem
[31 Monk] Solution
Old 04-16-2019, 10:43 AM
Banned

I'd re-roll.

1-23 is pretty easy. If you ever did find yourself nearing 60 knowing you could have an extra 20 CHA....you'd probably be pretty upset.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Kobold

I posted a thread with the same question a while back. I just kept going and am now in my 50s. I say, keep going. As others said, you can get high CHA with gear plus you get CHA buffs later. I am also in the camp that believes CHA is a bit overrated anyways. It helps reduce critical resists with the lull/calm line of spells, helps mezzes and charm stick (which never seem to get resisted anyway,) but has little effect on charm duration which is more related to the MR and level of the mob. I'm not saying you shouldn't strive for high CHA, but IMO HP is more important for survivability, at least early on.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Depends what you want to do at 60 tbh. Solo artist? Prob reroll. Otherwise, it’s fine. If you’re constantly grouping/raiding INT is arguably better than cha anyway.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:27 AM
Sarnak

Someone once told my ENC buddy that he "should obviously re-roll" as he forgot to put the +5 points into AGI as a Erudite (AC penalty for having AGI >75).

He considered this but then realized that keeping an extra +5 AGI via a gear slot or two wasn't that big of an issue (ie I don't think he's ever had to "choose" gear over the other due to AGI considerations). Turns out enough random pieces have kept his AGI 75+ all the way through lvl 53.

However, if you're only level 23 and are having serious contemplation about your stat distribution, *now* is the time to reroll-- as others have said, you can get to lvl 15-ish via the bone chip quest really quickly. You could possibly get to lvl 23 again in just a day or two. At 23, you're probably like 1-2% into your character's EXP lifespan at this juncture.

Conversely, if you allow yourself to get into the 40s and are still feeling "stat distribution envy," it's going to be much harder to catch-up to your buddies via reroll. If you were level 40-45, I'd tell you to stick it out. However, you are still "young enough" to make this change if you so desire!

Slightly unrelated example:
I also have a group of buddies I play with and leveled up a cleric-- a class I originally had no interest in playing-- as it seemed to complete the group. Turns out I hated playing the cleric and switched to another toon (cleric was 41 at the time). As painful as it was, I'm still very happy I rerolled-- my only regret is that I wish I would have rerolled sooner! So, please learn from me on that at least. Wish you the best of luck!
Old 04-16-2019, 11:43 AM
Fire Giant

No you should not. You can fix any stat with gear, and max both with level 60 gear if you want.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven1313 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I posted a thread with the same question a while back. I just kept going and am now in my 50s. I say, keep going. As others said, you can get high CHA with gear plus you get CHA buffs later. I am also in the camp that believes CHA is a bit overrated anyways. It helps reduce critical resists with the lull/calm line of spells, helps mezzes and charm stick (which never seem to get resisted anyway,) but has little effect on charm duration which is more related to the MR and level of the mob. I'm not saying you shouldn't strive for high CHA, but IMO HP is more important for survivability, at least early on.
Its not "more related to MR and level check"

Its literally 1% save chance on charmbreak/tick per 10 cha up to 200, and then its 1% per 11 cha up to 255.

With all things MR and Lvl-delta being equal among chanters, the difference between a 150cha (15% save check) chanter and a 255cha (25% save check) chanter means the former will fail to save on a charmbreak 40% more often than a max cha chanter succeeds at saving against a charm break.

Out in oractical terms, suppose the base chance of charmbreak is 5% with zero cha on a tashed mob 1 level below u (avg once/2minute for charmbreak)

A 25% save chance would extend your average charm duration from 120sec to 120s/.75 = 160s or 26.67ticks given the spekl itself has the duration capability to last that long.

Likewise a 15% save chance extends your 120s duration 120s/.85 =142s =23.5ticks

This has direct relevance to the mana/sec spent maintaining the charm, and everyone know mana/sec is really the only thing that matters in a long grind/crawl.
Last edited by Thorondor; 04-16-2019 at 06:33 PM..
Closed Thread