Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xruptor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So there is no Troll Inny armor but if he went CZ there would be troll armor? He doesn't really want to wear ogre stuff lol. He wants to stick to troll. So I'm assuming he has to reroll to Troll SK CZ then? He is currently only level 3 so it's not much of a big deal.

Though to be fair he has been thinking of switching to Dark Elf SK. Even though everyone said they are weak choice for SK and leveling up will be a pain. Most say if you aren't going Troll/Ogre go Human instead (for small race). Eh lets see what he does.

This is part of the reason why he is considering switching to Dark Elf Shadow Knight. Even though most say that's a TERRIBLE idea from what I've read/seen.
It's all ogre- troll wearable including the weapons, I -think- it falls between raid drops and group dropped gear, but its been awhile. The only other thing is picking cazic makes the Kunark quest stuff grind a bit easier. Believe Inny sk was bottom of the rung on faction.

The DE choice really falls on the fashion quest side of things just because every stat and racial ability for ogre-troll lines up perfectly with Shadowknight. Dark elves dont really bring anything to the table better. Their intelligence is higher, but your not nuking shit down, your banging on it with melee weapons and the Darkelf is 48 points (troll) and 70! Points (ogre) behind, which relates directly to your attack #, and damage.

Edit- and you can get the guise if DE is really that important.
Last edited by Gatorsmash; 11-21-2019 at 07:46 PM..
Old 11-21-2019, 07:32 PM
Planar Protector

SK troll is the defacto best race for raiding puller/tagger SK
SK is one of the best taggers in Velious.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorsmash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's all ogre- troll wearable including the weapons, I -think- it falls between raid drops and group dropped gear, but its been awhile. The only other thing is picking cazic makes the Kunark quest stuff grind a bit easier. Believe Inny sk was bottom of the rung on faction.

The DE choice really falls on the fashion quest side of things just because every stat and racial ability for ogre-troll lines up perfectly with Shadowknight. Dark elves dont really bring anything to the table better. Their intelligence is higher, but your not nuking shit down, your banging on it with melee weapons and the Darkelf is 48 points (troll) and 70! Points (ogre) behind, which relates directly to your attack #, and damage.

Edit- and you can get the guise if DE is really that important.
Thanks that is really helpful. He got his Troll SK Inny to level 5. I think he's good with his race choice and diety. He was just a bit worried about his choice of Race/Stats and Diety. He knows folks keep saying go Ogre for FSI and stats, but he still prefers the Troll. On top of that only primary reason I think he was going DE (although I'd have to ask him again) is that it's a small race and he has a fondness for evil races like the DE's. But he's cool with the Troll. (Well for now until he bothers me YET AGAIN about race LOL).
Old 11-22-2019, 05:11 PM
Sarnak

For a troll, it doesn't really matter. You'd be fine putting the points into charisma.

You'll be marginally better off putting the points into stamina but ultimately it doesn't matter. Strength let's you hit a little harder but it's already pretty high. Max int would allow you to cast... half a spell...
Old 11-22-2019, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsamma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Max int would allow you to cast... half a spell...
On the contrary. 20 points into intelligence at level 60 would give you 240 mana. Hybrids have the same mana calculations as priests/casters.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:04 PM
Sarnak

Capping stamina isn't as easy as people make it out to be. Sure, if you're raiding ToV it's not an issue, but anything less and you're unlikely to cap it even as an ogre/troll with shaman buffs. For some reason, SK gear has terrible stamina. The planar set gives 14. The Thurg and Kael sets give a total of 12 and 11 stamina respectively. In Kunark, the class set gives 8 from the BP and that's it. An ogre with 15 points in stam needs about 60 more from gear to cap out with sham buff. There's also value in having capped stamina in resist gear, or without the shaman buff so that you free up an extra buff slot. That's not happening until you're raid-geared in Velious, and 95% of players don't get to raid at all.

Intelligence is almost completely useless to a SK. Mana pool matters to quad kiters and clerics, not to a class that spends most of its life spamming 10-mana spells. In order for the size of your mana pool to matter, you'd have to be going from 100% to 0% mana in one go and still need more. As a SK, that's not really a thing that happens. You don't pour a full mana bar into one mob. At level 50, those fifteen points in int will give you half the mana cost of one lifetap. If you have to put your points into something that isn't stamina, you might as well pick agility and get something out of it.
Last edited by Noselacri; 11-22-2019 at 09:16 PM..
Old 11-22-2019, 09:25 PM
Planar Protector

If you find yourself easily confused, invest your starting points into int.

If, on the other hand, you are getting tired, invest in stamina.

Edit: but seriously, this is my sk on blue and he has pretty reasonable gear (no ntov, some skyshrine) and he is far away from maxing intelligence or stamina.

Your starting stats won't be 'wasted' by being capped until you are really well geared, and when you are 1 SK surrounded by dozens of other people I don't think it will really matter.

I never regretted having low intelligence. I can usually manage it in a way where it stays functional, and it's kinda nice how quickly the mana bar refills!
Last edited by Jimjam; 11-22-2019 at 09:33 PM..
Old 11-24-2019, 08:28 AM
Planar Protector

I had a ogre sk on live and can’t recall ever having mana issues unless pulling some real solo trickery (far past xp grinding). In groups DC and clinging darkness did just fine by me.

Regardless of race I would make sure agil is 75 and go stamina. A few hundred hps won’t enable you to tank (or not tank) something but it’s often what you finally end up zoning or feigning with. More max mana is great but mana regen is the sustainable game. I’d even rather have higher base strength because a lot of the cheap higher ac stuff is heavy and unless you are walking around capped that is at least a passive attack increase.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

81 intelligence is over 100 points less than your stamina, which could be maxxed with some more good gear.

I don't see an argument against intelligence, for a min max
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
81 intelligence is over 100 points less than your stamina, which could be maxxed with some more good gear.

I don't see an argument against intelligence, for a min max
Its a fair argument Gustoo. Maybe if i work on the SK he'll get to the point where I don't have enough mana to safely split, etc and i'll (or groupmates) will start dieing cos I'm oom, but i haven't reached there yet.

Btw please make some gear suggestions. I can't decide between gladiator chain arm/legs or skyshrine. Any other suggestions either?
Closed Thread