Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: Remove Agimat's pics?
Yes, make room for pics of my Main modelling every item people want 18 16.51%
No, i enjoy looking at this guy every time I search for jboots, fungi, or mana robe 40 36.70%
Bush/towers 22 20.18%
Removing the pet window was not in the classic time line 29 26.61%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_gnome_collector [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Aye im fucking disgusted by this. The wiki is shared by the entire community. It's not for creating a shrine to yourself.
I agree. We should all be doing our part to help create Agimat's shrine. It isn't fair he should have to build it himself.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Clearly the only race that should be modelling any items are Halflings, not sure how this isn't the common practice by now?
Hail, Barrel Hobbit
Old 09-09-2019, 10:37 AM
Planar Protector

The wiki's unofficial official policy on this (which came out of a discussion among wiki admins awhile back) is that the wiki:
  1. Prefers un-credited (ie.name-less) screenshots: they're more encyclopedia-like, and the wiki is P99's encyclopedia
  2. If there is no picture of a something already, it is acceptable to upload one that is "credited": the wiki is better off having credited pictures than none at all
  3. Because of the above two, you are allowed to replace a credited picture with an uncredited one
  4. However, what you are not allowed to do is take an existing picture (credited or not) and replace it with another screenshot just to get your name in (or, as it was in the original case, to remove a certain guild's name)

So, for the most part it looks like what this user has been doing has been good: they've been giving the wiki images it didn't already have, and if he gets to stick his name in as "bragging rights" for helping the wiki, so be it.

However, I reviewed his edit log and he removed some existing pictures in order to replace them with his own. That's a very clear bad practice, and so I have temporarily suspended this user until we can have a quick conversation and make sure they understand the rules.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Kobold

I agree that having pictures of the items is beneficial... but..

https://wiki.project1999.com/P99_Everquest:Image_Policy

Items
In general, images of items should not be uploaded. Only in rare circumstances (classic screenshots proving existence, stats, etc) would they be useful.

Players
Currently, the only place where you will find p99 player pictures is one per class epic quest, denoting the first player to receive that epic.

I think having a specific policy against posting pictures of the item's graphics is dumb (FashionQuest).
Old 09-09-2019, 10:42 AM
Planar Protector

And by the way people PLEASE don't do this. All it does is make a giant waste of time of me as I have to go back and revert all the images (I now have to wade through every one in http://wiki.project1999.com/index.ph...at&namespace=6 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]).

Literally all you will accomplish is wasting a ton of both your and my time: don't do it! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Kobold

This is like the kid reminding the teacher about homework. Dude tries to add a bunch of FQ pics (which the wiki is sorely lacking), and you get him suspended.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakborn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree that having pictures of the items is beneficial... but..

https://wiki.project1999.com/P99_Everquest:Image_Policy

Items
In general, images of items should not be uploaded. Only in rare circumstances (classic screenshots proving existence, stats, etc) would they be useful.

Players
Currently, the only place where you will find p99 player pictures is one per class epic quest, denoting the first player to receive that epic.

I think having a specific policy against posting pictures of the item's graphics is dumb (FashionQuest).
Oh, heh, I never even knew that page existed. That's actually the perfect place to post our unofficial official policy and make it official [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, I'll update it to mention that fashion screenshots are ok. That page was written back in 2012 by our beloved wiki god Ravhin, and a LOT has changed since (including the introduction of the fashion categories).

The page will (soon) say that images of visible equipment are acceptable, but it should also encourage people to post them on category pages rather than on item pages (since many items look the same, and what we really want is ten different pictures of different races/genders on the same category page holding similar-looking items ... not ten different images on ten different pages of different items that all look the same).

Old 09-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydoc [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is like the kid reminding the teacher about homework. Dude tries to add a bunch of FQ pics (which the wiki is sorely lacking), and you get him suspended.
If all he did was add a bunch of pictures he would not have been suspended. He was suspended (temporarily) because he took perfectly good fashion quest pics, with nothing wrong, and deleted them.

That's very detrimental to the wiki: as I said, the ability to get "bragging rights" is what motivates some people to take the time to post pics. If someone wipes out previous contributors efforts, that discourages everyone from contributing.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Triple post time: I just want to emphasize that while the practice of deleting good pics to post your own is frowned on, I very much agree with the spirit of what monnkeydoc said.

User Agimat uploaded a great number of new and unique images to the wiki, which desperately needs FashionQuest screenshots. This is awesome, and I am grateful to him for doing it.

I suspended him simply to clarify this one practice, which was a very small part of his overall image uploads ... but I'm not trying to tar and feather him! Once things are clarified I fully expect this great individual will have their editing rights restored and they'll continue making great contributions (which, again, most of their uploads were).

Old 09-09-2019, 10:58 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh, heh, I never even knew that page existed. That's actually the perfect place to post our unofficial official policy and make it official [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also, I'll update it to mention that fashion screenshots are ok. That page was written back in 2012 by our beloved wiki god Ravhin, and a LOT has changed since (including the introduction of the fashion categories).
Please update that policy Loramin. It seems really silly to not allow images of items to be posted as images would allow the readers to increase their knowledge of the item [subject of wiki article], which is the entire point of having a wiki.
Closed Thread