Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 02:13 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Really appreciate all the feedback. I feel better about my choice to go with an elf. I ended up rolling a wood elf and got him to level 5 then made my way to freeport. If any any newbies or seasoned players rolling new toons want to group up, send Tethelin a tell. Looking forward to leveling him up!
Old 06-03-2020, 02:27 PM
Planar Protector

Terrible choice but who cares.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorvaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been debating which class I'd like to dig into on green for a while now and have finally landed on rogue. My question pertains to which race to go with. I really like half elf and wood elf but it seems stats favor barbarian and dwarf.

If I go with an elf will the lack of strength hinder me too much in terms of my damage output, or is it fairly easy to make it up with gear?
For gnome rogue I don't think it is possible to match the theoretical dps of BiS barbarian rogues in vanilla. By end of Kunark, it doesn't matter anymore...ofc there is more to life than pure possible DPS --- knowing the game well, sneaking to check nameds/camps, dragging friends for rezzes, not going afk every single pull (this is a big one. the life of a rogue is relatively boring 99% of the time...I can usually out DPS folks on my rogue in an exp grp over time because I am always first to get into position and never go AFK, which reduces your uber race DPS to exactly 0.)

I'm not sure for elf races, but they can't be worse than gnomes (my go to for rogue race for fun/rp reasons).
Old 06-03-2020, 06:32 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Terrible choice but who cares.
LOL
Old 06-03-2020, 06:41 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorvaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I go with an elf will the lack of strength hinder me too much in terms of my damage output, or is it fairly easy to make it up with gear?
No and yes. Str and Sta items are the most plentiful in the game.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:05 PM
Banned

Go barb rogue, everything into stamina.
agi/dex not important as people make it out to be.
end game gear is littered with strength so dont sweat it
stamina always hard to come by
deception for elf needs

Go.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jauna [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Go barb rogue, everything into stamina.
I stand behind this. It's the min/max if you ever plan to raid. This is the setup.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Really appreciate all the feedback. I feel better about my choice to go with an elf. I ended up rolling a wood elf and got him to level 5 then made my way to freeport. If any any newbies or seasoned players rolling new toons want to group up, send Tethelin a tell. Looking forward to leveling him up!

There was a number of notable wood elf rogues on blue who were consistently parsed top damage dealers on raids, myself included. I was #1 to 3 for most raids I attended. It's about having the minimum gear to survive and having the right buffs. It's not about race. I'd actually suggest dark elf for PD robe, but wood elf aesthetics are the best in game.

I went +25 STR +5 STA on my rogue. This isn't end optimal, supposedly, but it actually worked out really nicely when I found myself stripping STR for resists in Kunark. And I never had any survival issues. I was usually among the last to die.
Last edited by Cecily; 06-04-2020 at 05:19 PM..
Old 06-05-2020, 08:18 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
I ended up rolling a wood elf and got him to level 5 then made my way to freeport. !
I reneged on my decision to go wood elf and went back to my original choice with half elf. My first ever toon on live was a half elf rogue so it hit me in the nostalgia a little more. Got him to level 8 in Qeynos/Blackburrow area last night and somebody was super nice and gave me a free port to Freeport area. I wish I remembered his name cause it was pretty cool of him. I'd love to group up with some people so please feel free to send me a tell if you're looking for a stabber and around level 8. Name is Tabris. I should be on a lot this weekend. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-05-2020, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

You always make exactly what you want. You pick the race and class that most interests you. You will never regret doing so down the road. If you wanted half elf but settled for wood elf go back and make half elf. I personally despise half elf’s but if that’s what was really calling to you ... you need to make it.
Closed Thread