Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 11:04 AM
Fire Giant

You can make two macros that each play two songs for easy four song twisting. If hitting a hotkey every 6 seconds is too active then no, you probably shouldn't play a bard.

That's why on blue my two main characters leveling up were bard and mage. On the days when I wanted to be lazier or chat more in groups I'd play the mage.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:12 AM
Kobold

That is great to hear. I am not trying to be a lazy player 24/7, but the class is insane in the APM (actions per minute) compared to the other classes if you want to be a super try-hard... or so it seems to me as a newbie.

I was just worried if I could still kill stuff on the days I'm not feeling like going super saiyan mode. Sometimes it's nice to alt-tab and kill something easy or just give your fingers a rest day and I'm wondering if I'll be able to "chill" on a bard.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:20 AM
Fire Giant

It does tend to be kind of hard to do anything "chill" mode with a bard. If you're grouping and just using buff songs or doing hp/mana you can do a four song twist with two macros and it's not a big deal if you miss a note and a song drops for 9 to 12 seconds until it picks back up on the next go around. That is generally as chill as it gets for a bard.

When soloing I don't really like to use multi-song macros because, for example, missing a snare or fear and having to wait another 3 seconds to be able to start casting it again can cause a lot more problems than missing a round of mana song or haste dropping for 10 seconds.

If you're worried that you're going to have days where you're just not up for the constant action of a bard I'd just start thinking about a less active alt to play on those days.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:36 AM
Planar Protector

Nah, bard in pure vanilla is ez mode to chill. Get your first slow songs and just use that / haste and melee down mobs. Solo melee with 20% slow and 10-15% haste is amazing with no gear and low level. Sit somewhere with regen on after. Congrats, you solo better than a monk. Its not the fastest / most efficient way to kill, but its super easy to do.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:47 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nah, bard in pure vanilla is ez mode to chill. Get your first slow songs and just use that / haste and melee down mobs. Solo melee with 20% slow and 10-15% haste is amazing with no gear and low level. Sit somewhere with regen on after. Congrats, you solo better than a monk. Its not the fastest / most efficient way to kill, but its super easy to do.
Thanks to both replies. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for and great to know.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:58 AM
Fire Giant

What he said really only holds true at the low levels. By the time you're out of your 20's you're not going to be meleeing down mobs that you're soloing for xp. You won't be able to unless you do things like melee until you get low, mez and regen for a bit, and go back to melee. It becomes drastically less efficient to try to solo that way beyond the low levels and bards will do much more damage using DoT songs and instruments than they will using easily available classic era weapons.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:18 PM
Planar Protector

As long as you're staying on top of gear, it still holds true up till way later. Given the same gear level as say, a monk, you will still be able to just face tank stuff in vanilla better (get dem HG's) since you can slow / haste, and they cant. Even just slow, being a straight 20% damage reducer, is super strong.

Again, I never said its the most efficient, but being a chill bard isnt efficient either.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:21 PM
Fire Giant

I think that you are overestimating the ability of a bard in banded and with low level/low ratio classic weapons to stand up in solo melee against xp giving mobs beyond the 20's.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:35 PM
Planar Protector

I am not. You underestimate the power of haste and slows. I am comparing the facetank solo ability of a classic bard to a class melee.

And again, it ts about the feasibility of a 'chill bard', not what is the most effective way to XP. He might finish each fight with like 10-20% hp, but still doable and can regen it fast.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:37 PM
Planar Protector

Luckily, bards get fear at 26 and charm at 27, so right after they start to suck at meleeing/tanking, they gain the ability to fear-kite (combine with snare song) or charm (charm-kite a group of mobs, or just make two mobs 1v1). Then they get the single-target mez at 28 and become even better in groups!
Closed Thread