Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Fire Giant

Wink Throwing or Archery as a Rgue in Green?

Hi guys!

Been leveling my little rogue on Green, got to 17 last night and slowly coming into the class.

I really like it, want to stick with it until the end.

So my question is now in green, if it is worth it for me to

A) Begin investing in Throwing

B)Begin investing in Archery

And why?

For 17 levels I have never needed to actually pull anything due to abundance of group pullers and I have never touched throwing daggers or even a bow and arrow.

So what you guys think? Shall I invest in a bow and perhaps go into some fletching? or Blacksmithing for throwing daggers an assorted stuff?

I have been stealing, backstabbing and hide/sneaking behind mobs for all these levels and am completely new to rogues, as I decided to play something I havent played before (druid, necro,sk, monk mostly)

Still getting used to no magic whatsoever nor ability to move quickly or fd of any sorts, really really like rogues, specially mine, being a little gnome.

So any tips suggestion etc would be welcome, I am practically kitted Auld Lang Syne style with the only amazing piece of gear the Dragoon Dirk I looted of Dorn yesterday , besides that I am still using cloth pieces.

So wondering if perhaps investing my very tiny amount of plat in vendor sold daggers for example or trying to raise blacksmithing to make throwing daggers on the cheap would be great, or simply focus on bows and arrows, if it will needed at all until velious down the road and even more right now that we are at true classic.

Any help will be appreciated!
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 11-05-2019, 06:23 PM
Sarnak

The only thing you'll ever use it for is pulling, and it's easier to get decent range with a bow than with throwing weapons.

I don't see what the "investment" is. Grab a cheap storebought bow for like 2p or whatever, and stacks of the cheap arrows. The range is long enough to pull almost anywhere, it's not like you're gonna run around soloing and no camps are so big that an extremely long range is required.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noselacri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only thing you'll ever use it for is pulling, and it's easier to get decent range with a bow than with throwing weapons.

I don't see what the "investment" is. Grab a cheap storebought bow for like 2p or whatever, and stacks of the cheap arrows. The range is long enough to pull almost anywhere, it's not like you're gonna run around soloing and no camps are so big that an extremely long range is required.
Ahh I see, I was just reading off the net but seems most guides pertain to stuff on Live, where they mention assasinations using throwing items and other neat tricks , but I know those things dont work for our time locked server, so was curious if there was anything good for investing into it time and some plat.

So if all we use it for is pulling then no need to focus on it ... hmm

Thanks for the input!
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 11-06-2019, 11:55 AM
Sarnak

There was a bug in classic where rogues could get rather large criticals by shooting thrown weapons with a bow.

Naturally you have to hit your target from behind.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Throwing for a rogue for the crits.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Aviak

Throwing dagger crits rarely happen and suck ass Baler is just dumb. Buy a bow if you want to pull or dont and just let one of the other 1000 losers playing do it.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotsalem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Throwing dagger crits rarely happen and suck ass Baler is just dumb. Buy a bow if you want to pull or dont and just let one of the other 1000 losers playing do it.
throwing and range in general suck during classic-velious.
It's just fun to tell other people you use throwing for the crits. Their reaction that rogues get crits via throwing is usually good. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:41 PM
Planar Protector

You gotta skill throwing up just to meme on lowbie mobs at 60 with thrown assassinations.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:35 AM
Planar Protector

The real role play is assassinating those pesky sewer rats with your dragon forged gear.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

Aktulally your target has to be a lv 46 or lower humanoid in order to have a chance to assassinate. Sewer rats would not be valid targets due to them being animals.
Closed Thread