Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Banned

And I cant go back to my necro after chanter charming
Old 07-11-2018, 03:53 PM
Kobold

I get the feeling you guys might like necro. I honestly might just roll both and play both until I ultimately decide.

Couple questions remain

Is the mage epic really that impossible ? What makes it such an Olympic feat? I got a few epics on live..

...during planes of power..

Fine, what ever, I know that doesn't count.

I want to do some landmark(lol)quests like jboots and other various quests. What level could you feasible acquire things like jboots?

How far behind is mage than necro? I have read several times the meta for mage is chaining combined with chaining and probably more chaining.

Is mage really that far behind necro in terms of soloing?
Old 07-11-2018, 05:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpromise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is the mage epic really that impossible ? What makes it such an Olympic feat? I got a few epics on live..
It only drops from Magi P'tasa which is a relatively rare spawn compared to the other minis. And since the nerf they only spawn every 3 days, probably with a variance up to 12 hours. So that's any time (up to) 24 hours before or after that 3 day mark that Magi can spawn, and only if the spawn points are kept clear. For a long time Aftermath's RMT farmer kept that place locked down and would ruthlessly train anyone who dared to put his profits at risk. He's since been banned, but it's still a rare spawn. There was a time we would go up at least once a week for, like, a year, and only saw Magi twice. Never dropped the staff. Sirfloppin's trains dropped us countless times.

There's a reason it's the rarest epic on the server*. And not only because of Aftermath's profiteering and raid destroying trains.

*maybe second to wizard because lol who plays wizards

Necro epic was rare because Slime Blood was expensive and, honestly, it's a vanity item (that my necro loves, don't get me wrong) more than anything else. Slime Blood is "cheap" now at 120 or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenpromise [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want to do some landmark(lol)quests like jboots and other various quests. What level could you feasible acquire things like jboots?
Most people resort to buying an MQ for jboots.

The Ancient Cyclops has a chance to spawn at 9pm game time every night in South Ro. There's a druid port ring in the zone. Guess what happens at 8pm every game day? There are a few notorious farmers that keep that pretty locked down, hi druins, but you can always give it a shot.

There's also the ocean of tears camp. You'll get it eventually if you spend time there, I suppose.
Last edited by Bummey; 07-11-2018 at 05:55 PM..
Old 07-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It only drops from Magi P'tasa which is a relatively rare spawn compared to the other minis. And since the nerf they only spawn every 3 days, probably with a variance up to 12 hours. So that's any time (up to) 24 hours before or after that 3 day mark that Magi can spawn, and only if the spawn points are kept clear. For a long time Aftermath's RMT farmer kept that place locked down and would ruthlessly train anyone who dared to put his profits at risk. He's since been banned, but it's still a rare spawn. There was a time we would go up at least once a week for, like, a year, and only saw Magi twice. Never dropped the staff. Sirfloppin's trains dropped us countless times.

There's a reason it's the rarest epic on the server*. And not only because of Aftermath's profiteering and raid destroying trains.

*maybe second to wizard because lol who plays wizards

Necro epic was rare because Slime Blood was expensive and, honestly, it's a vanity item (that my necro loves, don't get me wrong) more than anything else. Slime Blood is "cheap" now at 120 or less.

Most people resort to buying an MQ for jboots.

The Ancient Cyclops has a chance to spawn at 9pm game time every night in South Ro. There's a druid port ring in the zone. Guess what happens at 8pm every game day? There are a few notorious farmers that keep that pretty locked down, hi druins, but you can always give it a shot.

There's also the ocean of tears camp. You'll get it eventually if you spend time there, I suppose.

Oh...

well that's deeply disturbing and rather depressing. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for clearing that up. I've read the guide and already knew there would be lots of camping but was unaware of the apparently single bottleneck.

Once s week for a year. Bro that literally made my blood run cold. I want to still roll a mage but knowing the epic isn't feasible is a bit of a bummer
Old 07-11-2018, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh...

well that's deeply disturbing and rather depressing. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks for clearing that up. I've read the guide and already knew there would be lots of camping but was unaware of the apparently single bottleneck.

Once s week for a year. Bro that literally made my blood run cold. I want to still roll a mage but knowing the epic isn't feasible is a bit of a bummer
Mage is just a boring class. From lvl 4 to 60 its the same thing. Just resummon pet after pet.

Necro has so many tricks between twitching mana, back up healing, fd pulling, charming and so on.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:51 PM
Fire Giant

Either join a guild that does hateplane alot or AM and make friends

Or prepare to farm plat for like a year or more at 60 for your epic
Old 07-12-2018, 01:56 AM
Planar Protector

Necro brings more total power and versatility to the game. Interesting solo opportunities.

Mage brings more raw damage (pet sustained dps much higher) output to the table (unless the necro is charming effectively) along with class defining call of the hero. Since mages lack utility, they’re generally free to translate nearly all their mana into killing power in the form of nukes which (while less efficient than dots) apply their boom instantly and don’t result in waste. Mage solo, though effective, is boring. I prefer to group.

Both can feed mana to others.

I’ve got both at 58.

Necro is the stronger class by far when you consider the total package. In a group that just needs dps and has all other bases flawlessly covered, the mage would be a more ideal 5th/6th wheel for dps.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 07-13-2018, 02:44 PM
Sarnak

While mage epic seems to be really powerful I find it sad that you don't get to choose between different pets anymore. Once you get the epic you will always use just that. For me one of the defining aspects of the mage class is picking the right pet for the job at hand.
In light of that you could almost say it's a good thing that the epic is hard to acquire. *shrug*
Old 07-13-2018, 02:54 PM
Fire Giant

Necro has an actual toolkit
Old 07-14-2018, 12:26 AM
Planar Protector

Mage is a favorite of boxers everywhere because it requires so few actions. You can make 1 hotkey (/stand, /assist tank, /pet attack, /cast nuke, /book) and hit literally 1 button per fight while playing at 90% of maximum efficiency. Or get a Burnt Wood Staff and chain that every 20s. You will however be top dps unless there is a charmed pet or a primal rogue in the group. The magician epic pet here is the Luclin version and will probably be nerfed back to earth, and in any case it doesn't really stack up with Velious geared melee.

Necro is much more interesting theoretically. A necromancer is basically 1/3 enchanter, 1/3 monk, and 1/3 magician, which makes them quite possibly the most flexible class in the game. The problem is that none of their abilities really work in groups. Charm is great, but Necros don't really have the tools to recharm like an Enchanter (tash, AE stun, AE mez, Bedlam). Their lure dots are great but take 2 minutes, so they are only efficient solo or perhaps duo with a shaman. The heal is nice but it's not so easy to dispel any more. And Necros can FD split, but every group will contain 3 iksar monks so you won't have the opportunity to do that much. Velious is probably the worst expansion for Necros; in Luclin they got Mind Wrack, Funeral Pyre of Kelador, and dot stacking which really powers them up.

Really the only good cloth class in Velious is the Enchanter.
Closed Thread