Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 05:48 AM
Planar Protector

Default Archery? Does it get better?

So, I've been trying to figure out the secrets with archery!!!

Now, from the very beginning it has been reported that dex helped with the damage bows do. But from my experience, that doesn't seem to be happening (i'm at 219 dex unbuffed). Instead it is just more attack rating.

I also read that bows don't get damage bonus like weapons do.

Basically, will a trueshot bow (20 damage) always be hitting for about 20-22? From level 1 to level 50? (Using basic arrows)
Old 02-03-2016, 06:49 AM
Planar Protector

Dex for damage, crits, and proc. Use a weight reduction quiver for haste (e.g. tailored quiver minimum). Using a trueshot at what lvl? hrm get a rain caller, man, just do the quest as trueshot is a prereq (wont need fletching). Trueshot is really just meant for low/mid lvl rangers until you can do the quests... unless you've been a big bad faerie hunter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But gives a little extra range which may mean more shots off.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Archery
http://wiki.project1999.com/Rain_Caller

Then maybe get some other bows?
http://wiki.project1999.com/Windstriker
http://wiki.project1999.com/Bow_of_the_Underfoot
http://wiki.project1999.com/Efreeti_War_Bow

I just use a http://wiki.project1999.com/Shaped_D...d_Compound_Bow most of the time, then 150 range arrows (150+150). Bows really didn't come into any serious usage until AA apart from range pulling and added dot style damage if you root and spell dot to soften a target.
Last edited by Daywolf; 02-03-2016 at 07:09 AM..
Old 02-03-2016, 07:02 AM
Planar Protector

Oops, yea, I meant I use rain caller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Dex for damage? My damage seems the same as before with my 219 dex unbuffed....i tend to hit for 20 or 22 most regularly.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oops, yea, I meant I use rain caller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Dex for damage? My damage seems the same as before with my 219 dex unbuffed....i tend to hit for 20 or 22 most regularly.
Ah ok. Yeah rain caller adds a little range. Still a good bow. I edited in alternative links that provide more damage. Maybe time for a trip to plane of sky? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Then of course arrow damage, ya know?
Old 02-03-2016, 07:19 AM
Planar Protector

I mean...besides just getting a better bow.... does dex or levels increase the damage being done?
Old 02-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Planar Protector

I think it can only go higher with crits regarding the bow itself, . Bow + arrow damage + bow haste? Should be doing more than 22 in total and cumulative with the haste. Then a bow like windstriker has 45 damage on the bow and 100 on effect. No, dex won't turn like a hunting bow into a fierce killing machine hehe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But you'll get it's ~max damage more often with high dex.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean...besides just getting a better bow.... does dex or levels increase the damage being done?
yes you muppet. you hit for max damage more often. if your too thick to see this use a parsing program.

archery has always been streaky for damage......the min to max damage range is huge, even the AA extra damage, didnt solve the very wide variance in archery damage.

archery is kinda broken on p99, cos the developers are too dumb to fix rangers. Its on record that they have NO expereince of the class and ignore fixing anything that takes some thought.

Archery is best used with trueshot, rest of the time get haste item and a good ratio 2hander if you want big hit numbers.

Sadly in the end, you will realise that rangers are sub par on p99.

Are YOU Cleansed from the chains of digital desire?
Old 02-03-2016, 08:23 AM
Fire Giant

this guy is edgy as fuck

Landazar [50 Magician]
Old 02-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Kobold

Most answers are in the wiki archery link.
tl;dr:
  • higher dex, higher archery skill, , better bow, better arrows, atk buffs and worn items = better damage
  • ranged atk not displayed != melee atk displayed
  • no damage bonus on range slot
  • archery sucks, even after 55
  • good for pulling, sometimes useful for soloing

It's fun to shoot an arrow or two while running back to the dragon or hairy blob after eating a fear, apart from that, meh.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeattk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
archery has always been streaky for damage......the min to max damage range is huge, even the AA extra damage, didnt solve the very wide variance in archery damage.
Post-PoP it did with AA, for a time at least, as far as for pvp rangers had a good edge, mostly speaking of the arena. Bows were ok by then, though not as a replacement for melee, by far. But yeah, before then, it was just a good pulling tool. Best you could do is root and dot then fill the target full of arrows for added damage. The game just lacks good bow's for the most part.