Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 08-20-2023, 02:16 PM
Fire Giant

Default P99 is a custom easy mode server

Never forget everything that has happened on P99 occurred with EQEmu channeling code. Level 1 you have 70% success rate compared to 30% in classic. You're basically a level 40 caster starting at level 1. Finding this out and putting in the work for this bug report is what ruined P99 for me.

https://project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395675

I don't know what the staff thinks about this because they haven't said a word since I originally told Nilbog I was looking into this and he said he would check it out. I believe he said something like "next week." So did they change anything? Are they using stock EQEmu channeling? I don't know but I do know I confirmed on P99 at level 1 you've got ~50-70% success rate when I started this research.

So even if they want to provide the usual snarky response after months/years of ignoring the community, I'd contend it's a dick move to tell someone you're going to look into hours of work they put into your project then ghosting them when it seems to reveal the server is wildly unclassic and basically easy mode.

Just remember every single time you channel a spell you're experiencing custom easy mode EverQuest. Especially if more than one mob is hitting you because EQEmu just applies an adjustment for multiple attack hits up to a cap around 15 but in classic every hit required a separate channeling roll and if any of them failed you wouldn't cast.

This is before we even get into things like experience rates, raiding, and all the other easy mode aspects of P99.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:08 PM
Planar Protector

I hear Quarm is going to at least have "close to classic" resist rate: maybe not Velious era, but at least Luclin era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Regarding resists: TAKP's resist system is modeled off of the resist revamp that occurred late into Luclin, which is mostly what is still used on Live. A Sony dev posted pseudocode of it a decade ago and I parsed a ton of logs so it's quite accurate. It is however more forgiving than classic to Velious era resists in most cases, not harsher. I've no clue on the specifics of p99's implementation so I can't say how it compares to p99. Classic era resist logic is high on my wishlist of things I'd like to know.
As for P99 ... Nilbog has been working to recreate classic here for over a decade here. That's a really long time!

I 100% agree with you about P99 being "easy mode", and I've been been the old man yelling at a cloud about it in these forums for years. But at the same time, I've had a ton of fun on this "easy mode" server, and I'm extremely appreciative of Rogean's, Nilbog's, and any many others' efforts to let everyone play here.

If, after more than ten years, Nilbog has given up on keeping it classic, and he's ok with keeping it "easy mode" ... well, I think he's earned that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

I'm sure calling him out here will motivate him to reply to other people in the future. Good job OP.

Also beware the "seemingling easy" fix that may really be a rat's nest of client hacks that may be very technically challenging to incorporate into a server that has been patched for 15 years with bandaid code.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Never forget everything that has happened on P99 occurred with EQEmu channeling code. Level 1 you have 70% success rate compared to 30% in classic. You're basically a level 40 caster starting at level 1. Finding this out and putting in the work for this bug report is what ruined P99 for me.

https://project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395675

I don't know what the staff thinks about this because they haven't said a word since I originally told Nilbog I was looking into this and he said he would check it out. I believe he said something like "next week." So did they change anything? Are they using stock EQEmu channeling? I don't know but I do know I confirmed on P99 at level 1 you've got ~50-70% success rate when I started this research.

So even if they want to provide the usual snarky response after months/years of ignoring the community, I'd contend it's a dick move to tell someone you're going to look into hours of work they put into your project then ghosting them when it seems to reveal the server is wildly unclassic and basically easy mode.

Just remember every single time you channel a spell you're experiencing custom easy mode EverQuest. Especially if more than one mob is hitting you because EQEmu just applies an adjustment for multiple attack hits up to a cap around 15 but in classic every hit required a separate channeling roll and if any of them failed you wouldn't cast.

This is before we even get into things like experience rates, raiding, and all the other easy mode aspects of P99.
Bozo got curved by Nilbog and now thinks he speaks for the community.... LOL. Channeling is perfect here. Go critique else where you clown.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:38 PM
Banned

don't forget to put agi in ur stats
Old 08-20-2023, 03:41 PM
Banned

#meetoo also

like i can't play on p99 even tho i love what they did for the community they are retired tho

i actually had one of these once in a data center like a real fuckin data center with multiple floors and access to big backbone pipes and halon and fuckin security with uzis ok

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

and we where running some mail service on this lil bitch

i imagine this is what p99 is now

and that is OK

no need to hurry it along ppl will def fall ill and into despair along with this projects demise

OP is 100% right tho and I called that shit 60 years ago today
Old 08-20-2023, 06:12 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm sure calling him out here will motivate him to reply to other people in the future. Good job OP.

Also beware the "seemingling easy" fix that may really be a rat's nest of client hacks that may be very technically challenging to incorporate into a server that has been patched for 15 years with bandaid code.
Holding people accountable is important. I've donated money to this project. I've contributed code changes. I'm going to continue pointing out that the staff have seemingly abandoned this project or are embracing a custom server path.

They have bait and switched the community that supported P99 and seem to be fine appealing to people who have no notions of what classic EQ was like in order to maintain a population here and reduce any effort on their part to actually provide a classic experience.

All the excuses about volunteers, time constraints, it's their project, and so on are just that. They're excuses for the people running this project who aren't keeping their word. A lot of people here played and contributed because we believed the staff would continue to promote classic EQ in the way they had years ago when all of this started.

That has all changed though and although the now expected lack of communication offers a lot of room for speculation, none of us know why they act the way they do. Many of us are sick of dealing with it though and this includes former staff who also quit because of inaction and apathy. I'll continue to express my displeasure with the direction P99 has taken as a long standing community member who was given financially and technically to the project.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:29 PM
Fire Giant

Probably step back and evaluate if it is worth your time and energy. Otherwise this is going to turn into another cry for help. If you go too far with it your subconscious will eventually find a way for you to quit (ban). You aren't unique here. Many have traveled this path.
Old 08-20-2023, 06:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Probably step back and evaluate if it is worth your time and energy. Otherwise this is going to turn into another cry for help. If you go too far with it your subconscious will eventually find a way for you to quit (ban). You aren't unique here. Many have traveled this path.
The thing is it is worth my time and effort because if P99 staff would stop putting the entire thing on their own shoulders by virtue of refusing to leverage community input then I wouldn't have to remake everything.

I'll gladly keep poking them in the hopes they remember the good old days and consider my suggestion they leverage community contributions by overhauling the bug report process instead of ignoring everyone. It would be a lot less effort on my part if they did that and I could get obvious classic mechanics implemented in P99 than it is to rebuild everything.

There is a tremendous amount of community contribution that has gone into P99 but many of these people are left feeling unappreciated. It's obvious to me that back porting TAKP source changes into EQEmu with content flagging and releasing an open source community server where people can collaborate without waiting on Nilbog/Rogean is the way to go for classic EQ. We don't need them as gate keepers anymore so they can either wake up and return to the goal P99 had and admit the community has built P99 so it deserves consideration and communication or we can go around them.
Old 08-20-2023, 07:34 PM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.