Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs > Velious Beta > General Beta Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Planar Protector

Default The beta server needs more user support.

So I watched Sirken's stream recently and the discussion between him and Durubael pretty much echoed what Swish says in 90% of his posts - that the P99 playerbase is lazy and everyone wants Velious to be finished without putting any effort into testing it.

I feel that this is a gross misinterpretation of what's actually happening. The real problem is that there is absolutely no support for players to beta test. When software/games are in testing phases, they don't just shove an entire product on someone and say "go test everything." The result would be ineffectual testing and a bad product.

So, I'm asking the P99 developers to help us.

A) We need direction. On Sirken's stream it was stated that no one has done anything and everyone should be doing everything. Like I mentioned, this is the worst way to frame a beta test. For example, let's say I want to test the Circlet of Falinkan quest. That's quite a lot of time/effort that would be wasted since I know that quest has been completed.

So we need some sort of official post that says hey, this is Siren's Grotto week. Make people go group/test in Siren's Grotto for that week, and create a centralized thread for people to discuss their thoughts on the zone. I'd definitely schedule some time to go group with some people in that zone, but that stuff needs to be coordinated. Then after Siren's Grotto week we could have Coldain Ring week where everyone works on that quest, or a Skyshrine week where people hunt in that zone (with knowledge that faction would be reset afterwards). Very little developer overhead would produce great testing results.

B) Faction is a huge pain in the ass in Velious. And it's 10x worse on the beta server because there are no raid mobs up. In "real Velious" if you needed Tormax faction you'd go tag a Yelinak kill, etc. Our only option at the moment is endless grinding.

Recently I logged on to the server to try out the Coldain ring and realized I was still only Apprehensive in Thurgadin so I couldn't even start. I pretty much logged out right after that. I've done Kael arena with my guild a few different nights which didn't seem to move my faction, now there's even less people on the server so I'd be forced to solo for my faction, which could take weeks. This isn't really going to work for people.

So, two big requests. Targeted testing with discussion, and some sort of solution to get around the grind. Some additional support/commands like maybe #buff to get full raid buffs would be nice also.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:57 PM
Planar Protector

/beta doesnt work. alot of us cant test anything atm.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Sarnak

I stated in a previous thread that I would love to help but I am only level 20. Would love to see a level buff implemented so that I could help out. It's not like I will be able to keep the character anyways, I just want to be able to help out in my spare time.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:13 PM
Fire Giant

how about they spawn some raid content; you can only test the same trash so many times!
Old 04-10-2014, 06:17 PM
The Protector of Sunder

Putting a focus on things would help. It would just take a weekly post stickied here saying "Please focus on these zones and these quests" or whatever.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:52 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrjun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I watched Sirken's stream recently and the discussion between him and Durubael pretty much echoed what Swish says in 90% of his posts - that the P99 playerbase is lazy and everyone wants Velious to be finished without putting any effort into testing it.

I feel that this is a gross misinterpretation of what's actually happening. The real problem is that there is absolutely no support for players to beta test. When software/games are in testing phases, they don't just shove an entire product on someone and say "go test everything." The result would be ineffectual testing and a bad product.

So, I'm asking the P99 developers to help us.

A) We need direction. On Sirken's stream it was stated that no one has done anything and everyone should be doing everything. Like I mentioned, this is the worst way to frame a beta test. For example, let's say I want to test the Circlet of Falinkan quest. That's quite a lot of time/effort that would be wasted since I know that quest has been completed.

So we need some sort of official post that says hey, this is Siren's Grotto week. Make people go group/test in Siren's Grotto for that week, and create a centralized thread for people to discuss their thoughts on the zone. I'd definitely schedule some time to go group with some people in that zone, but that stuff needs to be coordinated. Then after Siren's Grotto week we could have Coldain Ring week where everyone works on that quest, or a Skyshrine week where people hunt in that zone (with knowledge that faction would be reset afterwards). Very little developer overhead would produce great testing results.

B) Faction is a huge pain in the ass in Velious. And it's 10x worse on the beta server because there are no raid mobs up. In "real Velious" if you needed Tormax faction you'd go tag a Yelinak kill, etc. Our only option at the moment is endless grinding.

Recently I logged on to the server to try out the Coldain ring and realized I was still only Apprehensive in Thurgadin so I couldn't even start. I pretty much logged out right after that. I've done Kael arena with my guild a few different nights which didn't seem to move my faction, now there's even less people on the server so I'd be forced to solo for my faction, which could take weeks. This isn't really going to work for people.

So, two big requests. Targeted testing with discussion, and some sort of solution to get around the grind. Some additional support/commands like maybe #buff to get full raid buffs would be nice also.
Honestly this. No direction. No idea on what is working correctly so you don't waste time. The faction bottleneck with no raid bosses to help curb that (or a faction bump toggle). Honestly I was in Beta for a bit when it opened, but without any kind of direction and no real tools to properly test anything, I simply moved back to FFXIV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfight
"President, its time to shut the fuck up."
Old 04-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Fire Giant

This is a really great post that I agree with fully. I've done the same as Byr and fought in the arena to try to raise faction, helped build bug reports, done PoG raids, etc. Even if I didn't submit them, my hands are on plenty of reports because I was in the groups where they were found and discussed but I can't do jack as a solo rogue.

I'm not going to grind to ally via trash mobs to test quests, and until raid mobs / TOV are open, there's a ton that's untestable.

You couldn't test the ring war if you tried because there's a component not dropping for 8th ring right now.

Again, because everyone seems to have forgotten, the raid content on Kunark release was insanely broken. Just off the top of my head:

- Trakanon went to 3-4 patches alone of tuning. He was using the wrong abilities, missing abilities, had goofy AC and hit values, etc.
- VS needed significant tuning
- VP wasn't released for 6? 7? months after release and with a ton of errors. Hoshkar wasn't AEing, the zone was flagged indoors, doors weren't locked that should have been, pathing was hilarious, etc.

Extrapolate this number of bugged encounters to the 5-10x as many raid encounters in Velious. Why does this approach make sense? Because you don't want us learning how to beat the 14 year old content? Come on

Most of this could have been corrected with an organized testing effort, and some of it was even bug reported via the few ways we did attempt to test Trakanon, with Nirron's GM buffs and logs, but the attitude of "well just level to 60, gear up, and tell us if anything is wrong, and if you don't, you're lazy" was crazy insulting then, just like "you aren't testing velious despite massive artificial roadblocks, no testing plan or direction, and no assistance - YOU'RE LAZY" is insulting today.
Last edited by Shiftin; 04-14-2014 at 10:36 AM..
Old 04-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Project Manager

Not sure what all the hostility is about, but I made this post yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilbog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pending update:

Added Box of the Void, mana batteries, and jade inlaid coffins to one of the giant gnome vendors.

Speaking to the gnomes will allow some faction utilities. Following their prompts, you can check your kromzek, coldain, or clawsofveeshan faction standings. Additional prompts allow you to increase or decrease these factions in small increments. This should help people trying to quest under certain requirements, and people testing faction in general. You can max a faction or bottom it out, then be able to test gains or losses more easily.
Regarding other tools to assist with testing, I'm open to suggestions.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Planar Protector

How tedious is "small increments" to max any faction?

It's this something we have to sit there and spam for a few hours? Could you implement a way to instantly max each of the main factions in addition to incremental faction hits?

Also a list of things needing testing is the primary thing people are interested in. I think just a week-long "Velketor's Test" would be good. List all quest drops / named involved in the zone and have people test away. At the end of the week check off that drop rates were checked, named spawns were checked, mob difficulty/resists were checked and spawn Velketor / Lord Bob for testing. Then end week o' Velketor. Start Week o' Great Divide. Repeat.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How tedious is "small increments" to max any faction?

It's this something we have to sit there and spam for a few hours? Could you implement a way to instantly max each of the main factions in addition to incremental faction hits?
50 at a time. So, 40 times either way. 40 seconds I guess, depending on your fingers.
Closed Thread