Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:44 PM
Banned

Default Any Motorcycle Riders?

Hey guys!

So, I rode on the back of my brother's bike a few weeks ago, and I absolutely loved it. I'm signed up for a motorcycle class this weekend. If I don't completely suck or freak out, I'm gonna buy one and start riding. Any cool stories from riders? What was your first year like? Any accidents?

Oh, I'm looking at a light weight rice rocket to start out with. Will either be a Rebel or 'Zaki Ninja or Z125. I'm leaning towards the Z125, its a small CC engine and super cheap.

Kat/Em
Last edited by katrik; 04-09-2018 at 11:46 PM..
Old 04-10-2018, 01:34 AM
Sarnak

My old Ninja650

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

- If you're getting a street bike then get at least a 250. Those are already slow and once you get good you'll probably get bored of the lack of power.

- You WILL drop it at least once. So don't buy something shiny and new.

- Cold tires will make you fall. I fell twice from cold tires and i'm a very good rider with a few years of experience and growing up racing BMX. Cold tires are hard and non-sticky so act like you're driving on ice. And even slow falls hurt because you're falling on pavement.

- Practice doing circles in a smooth empty parking lot so you get comfortable with leaning. Don't underestimate this. It will increase your riding skill a thousand percent. You'd be surprised at how far the bike can lean. And you'll feel like a pro when you're back on the roads.

- SLOW into the corner, steady or accelerate out, this puts grip and weight on the back tire. When you go too fast into a corner (and you'll experience this terrifying feeling), you either have to lean past your instinctive comfort zone (good luck), or go wide and crash. Happened to me once on a hill country road and its the scariest feeling. And NEVER hit the breaks in a corner or the bike stands up straight or the wheel slips out.

- ALWAYS wear a helmet. This coming from someone who never wears a helmet while mountain biking. A motorcycle crash is far worse than a crash on a mountain bike. Good riders mock the idiots who don't wear them. Other gear is optional but imagine getting rug burn from a long slide across pavement at 70 MPH. Clothes won't protect you. You decide, although even i've ridden in shorts before.

- If you're smart, aware and chill then riding is relatively safe. The biggest problem is other people not seeing you or unexpected conditions like animals or stuff in the road.

Save this in a text file and remember it and you'll be fine, God willing. Riding is alot of fun.
Last edited by Saludeen; 04-10-2018 at 01:39 AM..
Old 04-10-2018, 01:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saludeen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My old Ninja650

- If you're getting a street bike then get at least a 250. Those are already slow and once you get good you'll probably get bored of the lack of power.

- You WILL drop it at least once. So don't buy something shiny and new.

- Cold tires will make you fall. I fell twice from cold tires and i'm a very good rider with a few years of experience and growing up racing BMX. Cold tires are hard and non-sticky so act like you're driving on ice. And even slow falls hurt because you're falling on pavement.

- Practice doing circles in a smooth empty parking lot so you get comfortable with leaning. Don't underestimate this. It will increase your riding skill a thousand percent. You'd be surprised at how far the bike can lean. And you'll feel like a pro when you're back on the roads.

- SLOW into the corner, steady or accelerate out, this puts grip and weight on the back tire. When you go too fast into a corner (and you'll experience this terrifying feeling), you either have to lean past your instinctive comfort zone (good luck), or go wide and crash. Happened to me once on a hill country road and its the scariest feeling. And NEVER hit the breaks in a corner or the bike stands up straight or the wheel slips out.

- ALWAYS wear a helmet. This coming from someone who never wears a helmet while mountain biking. A motorcycle crash is far worse than a crash on a mountain bike. Good riders mock the idiots who don't wear them. Other gear is optional but imagine getting rug burn from a long slide across pavement at 70 MPH. Clothes won't protect you. You decide, although even i've ridden in shorts before.

- If you're smart, aware and chill then riding is relatively safe. The biggest problem is other people not seeing you or unexpected conditions like animals or stuff in the road.

Save this in a text file and remember it and you'll be fine, God willing. Riding is alot of fun.
Thank you! I love your ninja <3
Old 04-10-2018, 02:55 AM
Planar Protector

Min 250cc? What are you, 10?

Anything less than 600cc for a roadster shouldn't even be considered imo.

Ive rode many bikes over many years in many countries. I have one advice: do not do it. It takes one spill of diesel or engine oil in a turn, or even just a ill-placed rock and you can end up paralysed for life in a chair. I quit bikes years ago now and hopefully not going back (just realized how dangerous it was and quit the next day).

You will inevitably fall and every time it will be a roll of a dice between "few bruises", "broken something", "disfigured for life", "wheelchair", "tombstone".
Depends on how lucky you think you're going to be.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned

me and my brother ride.

ride safe pals.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:21 PM
Banned

Love the Honda’s. That’s what I’m going to be learning on.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:39 PM
Fire Giant

I ride an 06 Ninja 650 myself. You will be doing yourself a disservice if you get anything below a 250. Honestly, a Ninja 650 is a GREAT beginner bike. It's relatively light and it won't murder you if you over do the throttle accidentally.

However, if you think a Ninja 650 is too big, look at the 300 models. Yamaha R3 or Ninja 300 are great beginner bikes. I believe this year, Kawasaki is also releasing a Ninja 400 (although as a first time rider, I would not recommend buying a new bike. Buy a beater you can learn on, because it will take a few scuffs, I'm sure)

Your best bet is to go get your permit and take the MSF courses. they will teach you the theories of riding as well as give you ample practice time on little Suzuki gz250's.

And after you're done your MSF class, you get your license.

I was in PA when I got my M license and the MSF courses are free in PA. Not sure if they cost anything where you live. Definitely look into it though.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadrian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I ride an 06 Ninja 650 myself. You will be doing yourself a disservice if you get anything below a 250. Honestly, a Ninja 650 is a GREAT beginner bike. It's relatively light and it won't murder you if you over do the throttle accidentally.

However, if you think a Ninja 650 is too big, look at the 300 models. Yamaha R3 or Ninja 300 are great beginner bikes. I believe this year, Kawasaki is also releasing a Ninja 400 (although as a first time rider, I would not recommend buying a new bike. Buy a beater you can learn on, because it will take a few scuffs, I'm sure)

Your best bet is to go get your permit and take the MSF courses. they will teach you the theories of riding as well as give you ample practice time on little Suzuki gz250's.

And after you're done your MSF class, you get your license.

I was in PA when I got my M license and the MSF courses are free in PA. Not sure if they cost anything where you live. Definitely look into it though.
Yes! The class I’m signed up for is a 16 hour MSF course; I believe I get my permit after I finish & test. Since I’m pretty lightweight and 5.3”... I think a lightweight bike is best.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:56 PM
Sarnak

I spent some years involved in club level sport bike racing and rode street for even longer. I would recommend at least a Ninja 250. You'll most likely get bored with anything less really quick. You still might outgrow it fast, but there is generally a healthy market for them so you have a chance of recouping some money if you don't wad it. Other than that I'd recommend something like an SV650. Parts and accessories are abundant for these bike in the event you want to customize/repair yours, and the power band is mild but still has some go. Wear a helmet and keep your head on a swivel. Cagers don't and won't see you, so it's up to you to be aware.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Orc

I've been riding since 2004. I rode a friends bike one day, got hooked. Signed up for the motorcycle safety course later that same day. Upon completion of the course, I was able to get my motorcycle endorsement on my license, and I bought my first bike that afternoon.

Enjoy the rush, sounds like you're hyped [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

There's nothing wrong with a 250cc as your first bike, let Regular car reviews tell you why better than I could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsX2rIZory0

I bought a Triumph Speed Triple 955cc as my first bike cause SPEEEED. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone for way less power. 130+ MPH was effortless and stupid.

Now riding a V-Star 1100 custom. In a nutshell, its a cheaper and more reliable Harley.

All of the advice in this thread is good, I'll add a couple statements that I'm sure most riders have heard before:

1) Where you look is where you go. Always remember to look forward, past the turn, in the direction of travel. Don't look at that tree in the middle of the turn or the guard rail!

2) There are two types of riders, those that have fallen, and those that haven't fallen yet. Always wear your protective gear, even if you live in a state that doesn't require riders to wear a helmet.
Durber: 52 Rogue
Closed Thread