Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Delete Off Topic forum?
Yes. Nuke it from orbit. 34 69.39%
No. Maybe I'll finally win. 15 30.61%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

Voted no + on the spectrum + amateur woodworker
Old 09-30-2020, 12:15 PM
Banned

imagine being offended by words
Old 09-30-2020, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Off Topic might as well not even exist because people aren't learning anything true or real." Off Topic is basically conspiracy theory roundup.
That's ridiculous. Tell me where to find the true and real posts. Posts made here are not required to please you. I agree there are plenty of bad posts made, and conspiratorial and trolly posts, but to just unilaterally state "nobody has ever learned anything here! just get rid of it!!" while shaking your fist at the sky is more unreasonable and tantrummy than anything I've seen posted in here.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:41 PM
Banned

There is a perfect twitter post to /thread this steaming pile but I'd probably get banned because it has the N word (the one that ends with an "a") in it.

Its mind-boggling how upended people get over controversial discussion / content when all you have to do is look away from / turn off the screen.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:42 PM
Banned

Is this forum obligated to teach? The criticism of not learning anything is an admission of learning something you wish you hadn't
Old 09-30-2020, 12:44 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Has anyone in this forum ever learned something from another poster's post?
Yes. I've lived in enough places and learned different viewpoints for so many different things I can't imagine a mind or life that doesn't value others perspective regardless if you agree with it or not. Learning what others believe and why they believe what they do is a precious thing.

Quote:
Has anyone in this forum ever changed their mind because of what someone else said?
Yes. Same as above. Perspective is a great thing. Show me evidence that there's another way and I'll consider changing my mind. Sometimes it's a tough pill to swallow but I'd rather be wishy washy and respectful of others rather than 100% absolutely correct all the time. Understanding others and even changing views is how I learn and grow. If I was still the same 20/25/30 year old me all the life lessons and experiences I've had since then would have been a waste.

Quote:
Has anyone in this forum ever admitted being wrong?
More than once.

Quote:
You all might as well not post here. It's just several immovable objects arguing with several other immovable objects. And no one believes your various tough-guy-IRL personas. Even the snark points you guys score on each other are washed away nearly instantly.

I'm disgusted when I click on New Posts and I see you guys playing in the mud. All of you should be permanently banned if you're not already. Just stay in your own delusional media bubbles and stop talking to each other. Or find another website to waste space on.
I left reddit (and various other forums) due to immovable objects/viewpoints/etc. Although this place isn't perfect I feel the posters are actually respectful and willing to engage in a debate for the most part. Even though people disagree and even give each other a good ribbing this forum is one of the more respectful sites I've ran across.

As far as the tough-guy persona, meh. Growing up in redneck land having a tough guy persona was crucial for survival. Where I currently live it's almost detrimental to have one (nerd/geek central here). It's taken 20+ years to put the tough guy out to pasture. The tough guy will make an appearance if duty requires but the tough acting guys here don't hold a candle to actual tough guys.

Sorry you feel the way you do. As others have said there's ways to not see this forum. If the off topic forum gets deleted many of us will go elsewhere. A good debate is educational and entertaining. Since February I've seen my IRL friends 3 times. This place is a good spot to sit back and listen/read.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
imagine being offended by words
Everyone has their weak spot.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spergand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is this forum obligated to teach? The criticism of not learning anything is an admission of learning something you wish you hadn't
By naming convention itself, yes. Off-discourse is still discourse just not the main discourse on the platter. If discourse takes place then learning has to, as a function of the former.

Like for R&F, there is no obligation. Someone types some shit stream-of-consciousness barely literate rant with blurry screenshots if any, and all the facts wrong and that's fine because that is expected, and if you're a bit dumber for having gone there that's just fine as well.

But Off Topic, that's for scholars. We're professionals. We provide links and our screenshots are crisp and well lit.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

OP sounds pompous and entitled. The amount of care you put into this post is sad on many levels. If you don't like off topic....don't go to off topic? Pretty simple.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 09-30-2020, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
By naming convention itself, yes. Off-discourse is still discourse just not the main discourse on the platter. If discourse takes place then learning has to, as a function of the former.

Like for R&F, there is no obligation. Someone types some shit stream-of-consciousness barely literate rant with blurry screenshots if any, and all the facts wrong and that's fine because that is expected, and if you're a bit dumber for having gone there that's just fine as well.

But Off Topic, that's for scholars. We're professionals. We provide links and our screenshots are crisp and well lit.
You can still learn things from wrong information. It surely rankles Spergand to know this.
Closed Thread