Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2021, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

SK can fear kite yellows pretty well at CoM temple.

I remember being there on my SK, pre 40. Some adventurers came over, I asked them if they wanted to team up. They said I was too low. I said "too bad" (or words to that effect), pulled another mob and fear kited in front of them and advised them temple was camped.
Old 04-04-2021, 05:25 PM
Planar Protector

Go Troll for solo
Old 04-06-2021, 11:48 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You don’t get invis nor fd til like 30, but yeah sk has some nice tricks.
Get yourself a CoS and you can invis at 20.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

The amount of plat and how far you plan to take the character affects the answer to this question. FD and Fear kiting are great tools and SKs definitely have high survivability but Paladins have high utility as well. Roots, Lulls, Stuns, and Heals will get you out of or prevent you from falling into a lot of bad situations. If you can buy DW helm (which is relatively cheap) and/or a DW BP mana free heals go a long way in your soloing ability.

I think if you get to know either class you are going to be fine and really just should make sure you are playing whatever you enjoy. One thing I will say for your consideration though is that at the end game a SK still has great survivability in soloing and pulling ability but not much in the way of benefiting other characters, where as a Paladin can buff, heal, and rez in a pinch when a 90% is fine (which it is a ton of times).

I can solo some easy camps in chardok, and Seb like NG and Crypt on my Paladin. I know well geared SKs can do similar.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 04-06-2021, 05:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you go Ogre dump into INT. You will start with plenty of STR and STA, and most tank gear is focused on giving more STR and STA. Its harder to find tank gear that also has INT/Mana.

Ogres specifically also start with under 75 AGI, so you want to get to 75 AGI to avoid the AC penalty. So that means 5 points into AGI and 15 into INT.

Shadowknights can solo quite well, especially once you get Feign Death at 30. Fear kiting is a great way to avoid taking damage.
Yea but what is the point in soloing with a class that’s by far the best aggro manager from lvl 9 onwards. Roll SK for the tanking, even makes wizards viable!
Old 04-06-2021, 10:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycohunden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea but what is the point in soloing with a class that’s by far the best aggro manager from lvl 9 onwards. Roll SK for the tanking, even makes wizards viable!
Is DC better than flash of light for aggro? Because it's definitely worse than flame lick.

I love my SK, and it's got some good aggro tools, but not sure it's 'by far the best aggro manager' in comparison to the other hybrids.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is DC better than flash of light for aggro? Because it's definitely worse than flame lick.

I love my SK, and it's got some good aggro tools, but not sure it's 'by far the best aggro manager' in comparison to the other hybrids.
It's definitely not. Both Paladins and SKs can snap agro.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 04-08-2021, 03:09 AM
Fire Giant

I think he said he wants to be DE. If you have bad gear I would go 10 str 10 sta. If you have good gear I would go all in sta.

I am not an expert on Sk. People may tell you anything against putting points into str but if all you have is some bronze sitting around, if you don't put points into str you may pull your hair out.

I think Int is only important on pvp and/or if your character has little to none.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:52 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

DC isn't that great outside of being low mana and fast cast time, but with the armor stealing spells shroud of pain or something like that you get really good aggro. Flash of light is still better but has that blind issue where you can lose mobs running off, well I've been told that they can, but I've never tried it... Guess it was my opinion. I've always thought of SK's as the kings of aggro, but I might be wrong.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:16 AM
Planar Protector

it’s much of a muchness really.

They all have cheap aggro with drawbacks (flash of light blinds, flamelick and disease cloud break mez). They also have less cheap options to mitigate this (stun, snare, ac/atk taps).
Closed Thread