Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 04:58 PM
Fire Giant

Default Possible Community Event: A "Dungeon Romp"

This is sort of a spinoff of the "How do Wizards get into dungeons" thread I made recently.

What would you guys think of a regular "dungeon romp" community event that would be officially scheduled and organized? It would be for a specific dungeon with a narrow range of levels. The listing would say something like "Solusek's Eye (SolA) Dungeon Romp, Levels 25-30" at soandso time on soandso date. That way folks who aren't as well connected can have a chance to come together for a community event and do something fun like this, they can prepare themselves mentally and we would know when we're coming together.

There are a couple of issues with this that I would need to work out; namely, dungeons in EQ aren't really built for romping. Our mid-20s group is going to run into problems at some point with the 35+ mobs that are probably in there. We would need to be careful planning out a route and it will likely end in us setting up a camp somewhere in the dungeon. We would make it a point to help folks through the dungeon for specific things they might need such as quest items.

Then there's the issue of...I really don't know any of the dungeons personally. So without much experience I might have a hard time leading folks through, and I don't really know what any of the camps are for most places.

Finally, what does one do if, say, a scheduled event is overrun by a crowded dungeon? I've seen SolA with like 30 people on Green before as an example. Can such an event go through under those conditions?

All in all though I think this could be a good contribution to the community. I think I can bring myself to run something like this. What do you guys think?
Old 04-10-2021, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

Sounds cool, I was thinking of something similar, but looking towards Velious (murdering Icewell Keep or Skyshrine with sub 60s).

Perhaps a fun romp would be to have a multigroup force of 35ishs churn through the zone as a little raid? It might be a good way to do Kaesora and Dalnir. There are some fun drops for mid levells there!
Old 04-10-2021, 05:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What do you guys think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds cool, I was thinking of something similar
Me too! After that thread about ZEMs came out I was this close to doing a "get away from the high ZEM highway zones and come to an obscure dungeon" event.

My plan was basically to camp my epiced cleric out in somewhere like Runnyeye, Permafrost, TOFS, or Kaesora (ie. somewhere that no one goes to), then bring my level 60 Druid there to PotG + Regrowth + Thorns people continuously for an hour or two. My thinking was that everyone avoids those dungeons not just because of the weak ZEM, but also because they don't know them, are afraid of a painful death/CR, and/or think they won't have anyone to group with.

By providing a guaranteed 96% rez (and a 60 Druid who can CR out of any lowbie dungeon, no matter how deeply buried the corpse is) I could remove the fear of death, and by providing constant "power leveling" for an hour or two I could combat the lower ZEM ... and then hopefully the "event" part would actually get enough people into the zone to form groups.

But if we could all work together we could add other buffers (getting an Enchanter/Clarity 2 in the rotation would be nice), buff for longer (I'm not sure I can sit still buffing lowbies in a newbie dungeon for more than an hour or two, but if we do shifts ...) or otherwise enhance the event (maybe give out prizes?) So I'm certainly interested in working to make this a fun communal thing if others are.

EDIT: Just realized this was a Green post. My idea was actually to do something on Blue (in case that wasn't clear from mentioning PotG), so doing the idea on Green will require someone else to step up ... but I'm still interested in doing a Blue version [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-10-2021 at 06:04 PM..
Old 04-10-2021, 05:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is sort of a spinoff of the "How do Wizards get into dungeons" thread I made recently.

What would you guys think of a regular "dungeon romp" community event that would be officially scheduled and organized? It would be for a specific dungeon with a narrow range of levels. The listing would say something like "Solusek's Eye (SolA) Dungeon Romp, Levels 25-30" at soandso time on soandso date. That way folks who aren't as well connected can have a chance to come together for a community event and do something fun like this, they can prepare themselves mentally and we would know when we're coming together.

There are a couple of issues with this that I would need to work out; namely, dungeons in EQ aren't really built for romping. Our mid-20s group is going to run into problems at some point with the 35+ mobs that are probably in there. We would need to be careful planning out a route and it will likely end in us setting up a camp somewhere in the dungeon. We would make it a point to help folks through the dungeon for specific things they might need such as quest items.

Then there's the issue of...I really don't know any of the dungeons personally. So without much experience I might have a hard time leading folks through, and I don't really know what any of the camps are for most places.

Finally, what does one do if, say, a scheduled event is overrun by a crowded dungeon? I've seen SolA with like 30 people on Green before as an example. Can such an event go through under those conditions?

All in all though I think this could be a good contribution to the community. I think I can bring myself to run something like this. What do you guys think?
Do SolA, 25 - 30 and see if you can clear into the kobold area of solb.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:54 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sounds cool, I was thinking of something similar, but looking towards Velious (murdering Icewell Keep or Skyshrine with sub 60s).

Perhaps a fun romp would be to have a multigroup force of 35ishs churn through the zone as a little raid? It might be a good way to do Kaesora and Dalnir. There are some fun drops for mid levells there!
For sure! If we had enough people, a raid storming the whole dungeon wouldu be pretty awesome. Otherwise if it's less than 6 people it could just become a fun exp-group style thing for a night. As far as Velious goes a raid storming through Tower of Frozen Shadow would be very fun and profitable. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

That would be the idea though. There are all sorts of weird out of the way places like Dalnir and Kerra Isle I'd love to see at some point but you don't really see groups there too often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Me too! After that thread about ZEMs came out I was this close to doing a "get away from the high ZEM highway zones and come to an obscure dungeon" event.

My plan was basically to camp my epiced cleric out in somewhere like Runnyeye, Permafrost, TOFS, or Kaesora (ie. somewhere that no one goes to), then bring my level 60 Druid there to PotG + Regrowth + Thorns people continuously for an hour or two. My thinking was that everyone avoids those dungeons not just because of the weak ZEM, but also because they don't know them, are afraid of a painful death/CR, and/or think they won't have anyone to group with.

By providing a guaranteed 96% rez (and a 60 Druid who can CR out of any lowbie dungeon, no matter how deeply buried the corpse is) I could remove the fear of death, and by providing constant "power leveling" for an hour or two I could combat the lower ZEM ... and then hopefully the "event" part would actually get enough people into the zone to form groups.

But if we could all work together we could add other buffers (getting an Enchanter/Clarity 2 in the rotation would be nice), buff for longer (I'm not sure I can sit still buffing lowbies in a newbie dungeon for more than an hour or two, but if we do shifts ...) or otherwise enhance the event (maybe give out prizes?) So I'm certainly interested in working to make this a fun communal thing if others are.
That would be so awesome. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] By having a set schedule for this sort of thing it would make it easy for the higher levels who want to contribute a chance to show up. This would be a fun way to make use of those zones no one really goes to.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:58 PM
Planar Protector

P.S. Just to make things a bit more fun, I was planning on reviving the P99 Plug.dj room: https://plug.dj/project-1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

(For those that never got to experience it the first time, it's basically just a way for everyone to listen to shared music, and take turns picking the song.)

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:50 AM
Large Rat

Throwing my hat in for interest. My main is currently only 17 nec, but I joined p99 to get to experience a lot of the places I missed originally being mostly PLd or soloing as a wizard back in my days in live.

Does anyone know if there are any discords other than the LFG that fit the bill? I know I've seen forum posts trying to get things going but wonder if it's easier if people w/ a more specific grouping interest have a channel?
Old 04-13-2021, 09:49 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Really like this idea and would love to be a part of it as well. I only have a 19 cleric as a main, but I'm sure we could find a range of dungeons to do for different levels.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:49 AM
Aviak

What about a GM event raid on a dungeon where they bar anyone outside a certain level from entering, and put it into raid mode where people dont have to worry about groups of 6? I don't know how this works, never done a raid, but would love to do a dungeon in a more instanced manner rather than just camping one room.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:34 PM
Fire Giant

Awesome, I see there's some interest. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I will throw up a post in the very near future. My wizard just dinged 12, but I had spent more time recently grinding cash on a dummy mage to gear him up a bit so it took a bit longer than usual. I'm a sucker for vanity and that Shiny Robe of the Underfoot was absolutely essential. xD

Thinking I'll start something around 15-16 or so, and the first dungeon will be Kerra Isle. That place doesn't get a whole lot of love for probably many reasons, but I think it'd be an interesting first stop to check out.
Last edited by tadkins; 04-13-2021 at 07:36 PM..
Closed Thread