Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-20-2021, 04:23 AM
Aviak

Default AMD / Radeon low fps issue

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone with AMD cpu / Radeon GPU has been able to figure this one out;

I'm running p99 on an AMD 3600 with Radeon 5700xt. Game is running at a steady 30ish fps, which is greatly triggering.

With the same rig, same installation, same config, about a year ago, I was able to run this at 100fps extremely smoothly.

What I've tried without any effect
- cpuaffinity set to -1 and all other settings
- running game with only one cpu
- used process lasso with all possible settings for cpu affinity, priority, boost etc
- radeon anti lag enabled/disabled
- radeon chill mode fps limiter to 60
- wineq fps limiter 60
- native full screen / windowed mode
- all possible compatibility modes for eqgame.exe
- run as admin
- disable dynamic lightning in config (this made wineq not run, and i guess its not possible to use this setting anymore anyway thanks to green server)
- shut down every running AMD/Radeon application and service
- reinstalled game from scratch, untouched config, new UIs etc
- sacrificed a goat
- danced naked around a fire

Game is not enjoyable like this, particularly as a monk.

What I did learn so far is that p99 will not run on a core which is running at a frequency above 4.2 ghz. So forget overclocking to improve this issue.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:02 AM
Planar Protector

I also sometimes run on an Radeon gpu (intel cpu laptop). Do you have occasional lock ups of 0fps for no apparent reason? This has started for me fairly recently, even though the machine was otherwise running well for years.

Have you tried running without wineq?
Old 04-20-2021, 05:20 AM
Aviak

Default Solved

I found the answer

Download latest version of Adrenalin 2019

Uninstall current Radeon driver (listed as AMD Software under applications)

Install Adrenalin 2019.

Add eqgame.exe as a game entry in Adrenalin 2019. Set application specific values for eqgame.exe;

Frame Rate Target Control 60 FPS.

GL HF
Old 04-20-2021, 06:02 AM
Aviak

By the way, I noticed that FRTC is back in the latest version of the Radeon drivers as well, but it doesn't seem to work with P99. If anyone want to give this a go please let me know if you're able to make it work.

The very negative aspect of running Adrenalin 2019 is that all newer games will suffer, and I guess no support for 6xxx series.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:11 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I found the answer

Download latest version of Adrenalin 2019

Uninstall current Radeon driver (listed as AMD Software under applications)

Install Adrenalin 2019.

Add eqgame.exe as a game entry in Adrenalin 2019. Set application specific values for eqgame.exe;

Frame Rate Target Control 60 FPS.

GL HF
I have been having a lower FPS issue for maybe only a week now, but I have been "triggered" by this, going from about 60 FPS to 35-41 is driving me crazy! I can't wait to try this. I also plan to try undoing a recent Microsoft hotfix I read about in PC Gamer article. Will report back on my results soon.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:32 AM
Aviak

Please do.

I can also say I tried the new beta driver that was released today by AMD, same issue as previous. The 2021 version of Adrenalin doesn't seem to have a working FRTC, or at least it doesn't work when I try to use it with p99.

Reinstalled 2019 and works like a charm. Just this version breaks all other games [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-20-2021, 05:34 PM
Sarnak

Default My AMD FPS Issues: RESOLVED

Ok, I tried to remove the latest Microsoft HOTFIX that was mentioned in the PC Gamer article, and this had no effect. I tried removing all AMD display drivers and AMD Radeon Software and installing the version that you mentioned, this also did not work. I also noticed some severe instability with my PC after reboot, blue screen crash restart etc. So I again ran AMD's Display Driver removal that runs through Safe Mode.

I tried a couple other older versions of AMD Radeon Software and Display Drivers, I forget which one but at some point I was playing with Radeon Chill and IT WORKED, sort of. When I got in game i was FPS locked at 50 FPS which was my CHILL setting for MIN , with MAX set to 60.That is the first time I noticed what i did had an effect on my FPS in game.

In my case what it came down to is I needed to find a way to LIMIT my FPS for eqgame.exe that actually WORKED. I tried setting FPS limiter in WINEQ using EQPLAYNICE, that didn't work, I tried setting it using AMD Radeon software's CHILL, But even that I couldnt get it to work consistently.

So I updated and installed to the NEWEST AMD Radeon Software and Display Driver dated TODAY, and proceeded to find a way to fix this again.

Finally I realized that limiting the FPS is what I needed to do for whatever reason, and I had this program called RivaTuner Statistics Server that comes with MSI Afterburner for live FPS monitoring, which in the setup for this program there is an additional function called Framerate limiter, I simply clicked on ADD selected the eqgame.exe program, and set the settings in the attached picture, including and most importantly, Framerate limiter: 60

Consistent and constant 60 FPS in game now!

Good luck to anyone else who may have similar issues and not have the NVIDIA solution that's been proposed.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Kaezyr D`Shiv; 04-20-2021 at 05:43 PM..
Old 04-21-2021, 09:55 AM
Aviak

Very interesting. My fix from yesterday worked yesterday, but today when I logged on it wasn't working again. I tried installing the MSI afterburner and riva stuff, hadn't tried it before because someone on reddit said it hadn't worked for them. It didn't work at first, but then I also shut down all AMD / Radeon services and applications that were running, and it seems to work. Immediately when I restart Adrenalin it goes to crap... seems it's overriding some setting.

Either way, I'm not totally confident why / how to make this stable yet, but thanks for the update! Will keep experimenting and update this thread if I learn anything more.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:41 AM
Sarnak

My AMD Chill setting wouldn't stay on, and wasn't working anyhow. I made sure to give the RivaTuner executable admin privileges in properties.

I ran into an issue with blue screen crashing but I found out through the process of elimination that was being caused by Malwarebytes for some reason. It was still in its intrusive 14 day trial of the premium edition after a recent install of the new version.

Anyway I now have RivaTuner set as shown above, with properties set for "Run as Administrator" and to start with Windows.
Old 09-25-2021, 05:52 PM
Aviak

I just managed to get 60fps again by simply turning off compatibility mode on eqgame.exe