Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 03:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Whoever said warrior for untwinked tank - umwhat LOL why u trolling this guy?

Paladin would be 100x less of a headache. Instant aggro spells. Lay on hands. Lull. Some healing. EZ choice.
He said it with the disclaimer that it is fun if you are willing to work hard on gear. I did it on jimjam, without economy or buffs and it was incredible fun.

As the other poster said, not for the faint hearted.

5agi max str dwarf is a great paladin starter build OP.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaiyan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just wanted post a quick update on where my character is at gear-wise now that I'm home and can check out his items.

Crustacean Shell Helm, bracers, and gauntlets
https://wiki.project1999.com/Crustacean_Shell_Helm
https://wiki.project1999.com/Crustacean_Shell_Gauntlets
https://wiki.project1999.com/Crustacean_Shell_Bracers

Small patchwork everything else (the leather items given from turning in the crushbone belts)

https://wiki.project1999.com/Squad_Ring
Looted off a decaying guard corpse

Weapon 1: Dwarven Two-Handed Axe
https://wiki.project1999.com/Dwarven_Two-Handed_Axe
Actually purchased this for about 6 plat by a vendor in a hut right outside Kaladim

Weapon 2: Scimitar

Shield: Marr's Promise
https://wiki.project1999.com/Marr%27s_Promise

Longbow (purchased from vendor)

So from what I've gathered... I should be looking to upgrade to:

https://wiki.project1999.com/Baton_of_faith
When should I get this? I think I read the dmg cap goes away at 20?

Also the DM helm, but I won't need that until later. Anything else for quality of life? Or is the baton the single most important thing to grab at 20 for leveling purposes?

Probbaly doing a little but of Crushbone tonight, maybe I can get a few more levels [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes 20+ is best time for 2handers. Iirc level 30 is a huge jump in dps and really what sets you off on the solo path.

I know people will hate this comment but I never fancied the Ghoulbane beyond level 30 after the 30 2hander dmg is uncapped.

P.s if you PM me your name I'll try organize that you get a Baton of Faith if you choose to accept gifts =)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:18 AM
Kobold

No groups in CB last night (working those weird off-peak EST hours feelsbadman), but I was able to solo grind myself from 9-10 without too much pain. I'll be off work Friday & Saturday so I imagine I'll find some more people in there during that time.

I was actually kind of surprised at something. When I swapped from the 1h sword + shield and used my Dwarven Axe, I was hitting the mobs for a whooping 28 dmg! Don't ask me why, but for some reason I thought the cap was 20. I was very pleased. I guess, from everything I've read, I better relish this "big number" while I can because paladin damage will fall off haha.

Still, having a blast. Thanks for the posts

IGN = Insaiyan
Old 08-23-2018, 05:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaiyan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was hitting the mobs for a whooping 28 dmg! Don't ask me why, but for some reason I thought the cap was 20.
You leveled to 10 and the damage cap increased. Now you'll hit for 28 for quite awhile.

From levels 1-9 the damage cap is the equivalent of a 10-damage weapon. In practice this means you'll hit for 20, plus whatever bonus you gain from damage scaling (not much at those levels). From levels 10-19 the cap is the equivalent of a 14-damage weapon, meaning you'll hit for 28 plus whatever you gain from strength or scaling. The benefit of raw stats scales with level, as does the basic damage table, so by the upper teens most players will hit for in the 30's. From levels 20-29 the damage cap is supposedly a 30-damage weapon, although I haven't personally tested a weapon with higher damage than that to confirm it and it's unlikely you'll have one, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know people will hate this comment but I never fancied the Ghoulbane beyond level 30 after the 30 2hander dmg is uncapped.
I agree, at least by current standards. The Ghoulbane is a pre-expansion weapon, and was very nice for its era. My own namesake Paladin used one from 27 all the way to level 50 when P99 was pre-expansion. However, it's very quickly rendered obsolete with Kunark weaponry and with Velious it's almost a joke to use beyond the 20's.

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 08-23-2018 at 05:53 PM..
Old 08-24-2018, 09:28 AM
Planar Protector

Excellent choice picking Paladin. It's honestly my most favorite class to play alongside an Enc. The amount of utility we get in group settings is insane, I'd feel so limited in a group playing a monk/war/sk, etc. (and I have). A properly gear Paladin is the best tank in 99% of scenarios you will encounter in p99.

With that being said, if you really want to have an edge, try to pick yourself up a Sword of Blessings from Velks. I got mine at lvl 17 with my Paladin. Many times it will be rotting with people hunting lower dogs, and I had a lot of fun trying to get mine in position to get one. If you're not up to the challenge, as others have said a Ghoulbane or Baton of Faith can get you by just fine.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Kobold

Wow that sword looks awesome. I can actually go try and get that at level 17? Sword and shield seems way more paladin to me but I do love my trusty 2h axe. Really looking forward to being a tank while leveling. I like feeling useful! Especially since I'm a noob.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:35 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladin is the answer. As others have said you should know the pain you’re in for.
I do! I'm giving up SoW, ports, and solo ability that I had with my Druid. It does hurt, but the class just doesn't feel like my style and kiting kills my hands. I'm having fun so far, have already met a few people and made my first clutch life-saving Lay Hands. Felt good!
Old 08-25-2018, 08:30 AM
Planar Protector

You honestly give up very little in choosing paladin. The total power of the tool kit paladins possess is substantial. Fantastic tank. You don’t have defensive, but only one class in the game has that. Really the only draw backs are low damage output and lack of defensive. In return you get direct heals, root, lull, stun, hp buff lines that stack, heal over time, aggro on command and eventually even Rez in your spell book. Clickies and procs can cover the other quality of life stuff like sow (potions or jboots), zone mobility (OT hammer, WC cap, gate potions), invis, lev, etc.

The dps is low and you’ll be disappointed if you expected to tank endgame raid bosses. In all other areas paladins reign as a relative superclass with a lot of potential.

Paladin will be my next alt to play around with.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-25-2018, 06:47 PM
Banned

I have a Baton of Faith for you, message me my toons in my sig when you're on next.
Closed Thread