Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 04:26 AM
Fire Giant

Default Staff of the Silent Star

https://wiki.project1999.com/Staff_of_the_Silent_Star

So, which of the four purecasters would benefit most from this? I'm thinking in both solo, group and raid settings.

In terms of soloing I'm guessing it's not really THAT good for any of the classes as it involves getting into melee combat which, let's face it, no purecaster really wants. Yes, enchanters can slow and buff +100 dex but depending on what content we are talking about you'd likely be much better off charm soloing and then, even slowed, you won't be able to tank the stuff you're soloing.

Are some of the purecasters more likely than others to not have stuff to do in groups / on raids?
Old 08-21-2018, 05:18 AM
Planar Protector

I suppose it would be fairly useful for fear kiting as a necro. Though you're missing out on a good bit of mana regen to be swinging it.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:06 AM
Planar Protector

I think it's a gimmick item like the rod of annihilation. Most of the time you could use it, with any class, you'd be better off doing something else like medding and using mana to dps or just staying out of melee and letting someone else do the work.

That said I think chanter gets the most benefit. Haste, possibly boon... in groups where you don't need to med constantly it may be better than nuking, solo when there aren't great charm options and you are using an animation (like if killing stuff in a lower dungeon just because or something), or if you want to kill one mob without finding a charm pet, etc.

Necros might use it better though. Sometimes necros are killing things where they share the tanking with their pet to keep it alive and keep themselves up with lifetaps and they could use a nice weapon during that to help dps.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 AM
Planar Protector

With 255 dexterity the proc amounts to a whopping 13.33 dps - less than chain clicking the trade-able and relatively cheap DD staff as a mage.

Most casters won't have anywhere close to 255 dex.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-21-2018, 09:28 AM
Planar Protector

2 procs per minute (only if you have 255 dex) = 800 dmg/60 seconds = 13.33 dps.

Yes it's a lure but tha absolute best you can expect from it is 13.33 dps under perfect circumstances. Have a dexterity of 130? Now it's 1 proc per minute @ 6.66 dps. Is dexterity even lower? Now it's less. Were you out of melee range? Now it's less. Were you at any time casting and not meleeing? Well gosh gee golly, now it is even less added dps as time spent casting are proc opportunities missed.

It's a cute toy ... But that's about it.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Banned

Toy, maybe, but it's still a 7.5% hp increase over the base HP one gets from a naked L60 caster, and considering most caster epics have zero or paltry HP, on top of inconsistent resists, its worth wearing full time over epics that only need to be equipped to click.

Look at it this way; if you had +75 hp in every slot you would have a caster that raidbuffs to approximately 4.5k hp; that's aound 50% more than your standard caster on P99. In raids where sitting is not an option it may be worth turning attack on, but i don't think that really needs to be considered when determining if its worth looting.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:04 PM
Kobold

It's an occasional extra 400 damage if you're in melee range and swing before and after a cast. Obviously if you think of it in terms of dps it's not great
Old 08-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

I mean ... I use it full time for the better stats and with cov you cant 4 swings every color slant and you might lucky and proc one of those swings!

It's a stat stick for me
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 08-22-2018, 04:03 PM
Banned

Yeah i forgot to mention the likelihood of actually using autos in melee range during a stunlock operation. So, to answer the original question, on the basis that HP tends to be moderately more advantageous for necros and enchanters due to the nature of their respective playstyles encountering being hit more often (chanter) or using their hp bar as an extension of their mana bar (necro) usefullness probably falls along the lines of:

1) Enchanter
2) Necro
3) Wizard/Magician
Old 08-22-2018, 04:30 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throndor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah i forgot to mention the likelihood of actually using autos in melee range during a stunlock operation. So, to answer the original question, on the basis that HP tends to be moderately more advantageous for necros and enchanters due to the nature of their respective playstyles encountering being hit more often (chanter) or using their hp bar as an extension of their mana bar (necro) usefullness probably falls along the lines of:

1) Enchanter
2) Necro
3) Wizard/Magician
The 1) here is only if you don’t need the CHA from the enchanter epic. Although if you are getting consistent drops from feshlak you will probably be able to get most of the items you need to be able to drop the Enc epic in favor of the Fesh stick.
Closed Thread