Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Aviak

Default Is Roleplaying Frowned upon on this server?

Is Roleplaying frowned upon on this server?

Otherwise It's sooooooo boring if you're not in a lively group chat (not constant chatter of course)... pull, hit, kill, check mana, rinse repeat..

Are there people who roleplay even slightly and adventure in uncommon-hunted zones?

I mean, This server isn't going to keep getting expansion after expansion... what's the hurry with everyone.. grind grind grind?

Stop and smell the roses... and roleplay and adventure!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:10 PM
Sarnak

Time to slay the dragon!

In all seriousness, I wish people did more of it too.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Sarnak

Some people just arent into it. I've never cared about role playing because it's just wierd. I play video games because I want to be entertained. If I wanted to pretend im a wood elf i wouldn't need a video game to do it. I'd go buy a green tunic and walk around the neighborhood or something. I'm a little freaked out by people that take role playing seriously actually.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Sarnak

I've been here for about... 2 months now? Something like that. I haven't seen any RP, but considering the attitudes I see in /shout and /ooc? I'm sure it would be met with "lolrp go kill yourself <homophobic epithet>, since ull never get laid anyways". Yes, I know, public channels are not a good indicator of how the community in general acts, but then again, neither are forums yet we have admins saying to cut the drama because it is scaring people away. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It's a shame too, because I think RP makes things better. Who cares if you're still grinding away in OT or DL or KC? At least you're having fun and chatting with people rather than seeing a chat log full of "20m. Good for one", "FM", "inc sarnak" :P

I think, and this is just my personal observation, the quality and quantity of roleplaying you will find depends on how open to customization the game is and how open ended the game is. EQ1, for example, doesn't necessarily facilitate RP because its very closed; you have some semblance of goals (leveling up a single class with no way to customize yourself, for example). However, if we look at Ultima Online (before it got buggered up and caused an exodus of players), we see a very open, skill-based system that lets you make whatever kind of character you want, and with an open and very detailed rule-set in player versus player interaction, you can play any number of roles.

TL;DR, open ended games foster RP. EQ1 isn't as open ended as it would appear, and therefore doesn't facilitate a good RP community. Emulator or not. :/

Edit: Of course, then there's just people who don't understand what roleplaying is and foster a highly negative attitude towards it, which destroys any sort of environment for RP...

Quote:
Some people just arent into it. I've never cared about role playing because it's just wierd. I play video games because I want to be entertained. If I wanted to pretend im a wood elf i wouldn't need a video game to do it. I'd go buy a green tunic and walk around the neighborhood or something. I'm a little freaked out by people that take role playing seriously actually.
LARP (Live Action Role Playing), which you are describing, is not the same as RPing in a game. RPing in game is hardly any different than writing a book, because both things require a person to get into a characters head, put them in a situation, and act it out. The biggest difference is RPing requires you to be spontaneous and interact with other people, where as writing is about writing multiple characters by yourself.

The only difference is, people hate on RPers but LOVE writers (even bad ones like Stephanie Meyer, R.A. Salvatore, and George Martin).
Odinty Treeguard - Level 58 Druid (Level 9)
Vmek Shadowsong - Level 51 Bard (Level 5)
Odibin Deathbearer - Level 36 Necromancer (Level 13)
Last edited by Stormhowl; 07-09-2011 at 09:33 PM..
Old 07-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Aviak

I am... I find constantly I'm in groups that don't talk T_T its frustrating. lol
I definitely go to the uncommon zones, such as Kedge.. adventuresss! haha Lets do Kith at night =D
Old 07-09-2011, 09:39 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Ihealyou

People don't hate on roleplayers. Ninik roleplays, and everyone loves it. If you create a fun and entertaining character, people will like it and play along with you. If you're a boring, generic, medieval character who speaks old english all the time, they won't.

Uuur - Your favorite Master +1 cleric <LifeAlert>
Rockwell - Your favorite 30 virgin <Aspen and Rockwell>
Old 07-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Sarnak

We have a guy in our guild who roleplays his ogre character all the time. I find it entertaining and most of all reassuring that RP is not completely dead on this server. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Aviak

Default Stormhowl

Stormhowl,

I agree with you on the difference between LARPing and Fun roleplaying in a game.

Roleplaying in a game doesn't have to be serious but sure beats just saying what Mana I'm at.

You put all that is in my head perfectly!
Old 07-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Sarnak

Most of the groups I am in have plenty of very entertaining conversations without roleplaying. Just have to meet the right people.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Aviak

Default ah..

Ah...we definitely do NOT play old stuffy english characters.

In fact, I try to be light hearted and jovial in order to roleplay my character...but still, people were silent and non-interactive.

I just had to leave this group (although exp was great and everything functioned well) because i just got bored out of my mind after an hour of silence but Fm, Oom, Add, Root, Incs,
Closed Thread