Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-19-2015, 05:03 PM
Fire Giant

RIP first page of guild threads - really good place to place information
Mackaroni <Seal Team> - Human Monk
Old 04-19-2015, 07:12 PM
Former Moderator

Ya'll will need to bring it up with Rogean, theres nothing I can do here. I'm pretty sure he knows how to manage a forum but thanks for everyone insinuating the staff doesnt know what they're doing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

P.S. Enjoy the forum vacation for staff bashing, Coffee.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Tetley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
just make new threads!
That's all fine, til someone searches an item you were selling an item 6 months ago and starts sending PMs. I'm not a regular item trader by any means but I can imagine that if you list new stuff 3-4 times a week that's going to be a lot of PMs for you and frustration for buyers.

Edit button for the EC forum at least would allow "business as usual". And Rogean if you're in the giving mood, how about the forum tags making a comeback in time for Velious? We loved those <3
Old 04-19-2015, 10:11 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikorsky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm pretty sure he knows how to manage a forum.
That would appear to be incorrect
Old 04-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikorsky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya'll will need to bring it up with Rogean, theres nothing I can do here. I'm pretty sure he knows how to manage a forum but thanks for everyone insinuating the staff doesnt know what they're doing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

P.S. Enjoy the forum vacation for staff bashing, Coffee.
Oh snap
Old 04-19-2015, 11:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's all fine, til someone searches an item you were selling an item 6 months ago and starts sending PMs. I'm not a regular item trader by any means but I can imagine that if you list new stuff 3-4 times a week that's going to be a lot of PMs for you and frustration for buyers.
Yep, it's already started.

Is there a way to look up all GM, Guide, Forum Moderator usernames? I'd like to foward them all the PMs I get like this.

Originally posted by Harrison: I repeat, what kind of pathetic pussy is too afraid to post on the forums under their character's name?
Old 04-19-2015, 11:35 PM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portsche [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep, it's already started.

Is there a way to look up all GM, Guide, Forum Moderator usernames? I'd like to foward them all the PMs I get like this.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This!

♦♦ Nikkanu (60 Dark Elf Cleric) ♦♦
♦♦ Psychoactive (60 Ogre Shaman) ♦♦
♦♦ Recycling (60 Iksar Necromancer) ♦♦
♦♦ Silentblade (60 Dwarf Rogue) ♦♦
♦♦ Yourack (60 Human Monk) ♦♦
♦♦ Bargains (EC Mule) ♦♦
Last edited by Nikkanu; 04-19-2015 at 11:39 PM..
Old 04-20-2015, 06:33 AM
Planar Protector

I'd just like to put forth the suggestion that maybe having editing enabled in the EC Tunnel forum would be more beneficial for everyone - the staff, the server, and the players - than having it removed for whatever reason. I'm assuming there was a valid reason - perhaps someone was exploiting something we're unaware of, perhaps it caused other issues - but at the same time the use of the EC Tunnel forum on Project 1999 is integral to the community and even with editing enabled it was already underused.

This is just one more thing that makes it much more difficult to use, and I think the way it worked with editing enabled was much more in line with what I remember from using a live EverQuest server's trading forum back in '99 - '01. The way the P99 forums worked with editing enabled was flawless - editing didn't bump threads, it allowed for consolidation, and it allowed for real-time updating as players sold and obtained wares. No one was wasting their time sending other players PMs and waiting anxiously for a reply about things that had already been sold. No one was wasting their time replying to these PMs, because they could just simply edit sold items out of their threads when they sold them.

It just seems unlikely that by removing the ability to edit there is some other pressing issue that's being addressed, which happens to be more important than all of the other useful things that were being provided to the playerbase.
Last edited by paulgiamatti; 04-20-2015 at 06:36 AM..
Old 04-21-2015, 06:31 PM
Former Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgiamatti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd just like to put forth the suggestion that maybe having editing enabled in the EC Tunnel forum would be more beneficial for everyone - the staff, the server, and the players - than having it removed for whatever reason. I'm assuming there was a valid reason - perhaps someone was exploiting something we're unaware of, perhaps it caused other issues - but at the same time the use of the EC Tunnel forum on Project 1999 is integral to the community and even with editing enabled it was already underused.

This is just one more thing that makes it much more difficult to use, and I think the way it worked with editing enabled was much more in line with what I remember from using a live EverQuest server's trading forum back in '99 - '01. The way the P99 forums worked with editing enabled was flawless - editing didn't bump threads, it allowed for consolidation, and it allowed for real-time updating as players sold and obtained wares. No one was wasting their time sending other players PMs and waiting anxiously for a reply about things that had already been sold. No one was wasting their time replying to these PMs, because they could just simply edit sold items out of their threads when they sold them.

It just seems unlikely that by removing the ability to edit there is some other pressing issue that's being addressed, which happens to be more important than all of the other useful things that were being provided to the playerbase.
It does seem unlikely, but when are complicated issues ever predictable?

All I know is that there is work being done on the forums, but that's about all I've got. Right now it's on a need to know basis, and it seems that nobody needs to know.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:53 AM
Planar Protector

Fair enough [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But for the sake of argument, the complexity of an issue doesn't really have anything to do with its predictability. But I think I know what you mean. I'm not saying that the issue itself seems unlikely, but rather that it seems unlikely the issue is so very pressing and urgent that it takes precedence over a fundamental forum feature.