Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 02-27-2022, 02:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
says something about the state of the game.
Or rather the community, though MMOs are as much about both.
Old 02-27-2022, 02:28 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If getting off the line ASAP is of no consequence whatsoever, than why would anyone use scripting unless there was more to the script than that alone?
Well, that's kind of my point for why I don't believe he's cheating. When I practiced with him, he certainly didn't win every jump, and I doubt he does on live either, but admittedly I don't raid lately.

For a script to work for the full race, it'd have to be from beginning to end to time up properly, and if that WERE the case, that video could've been much more convincing by showing the actual races, not the jumps. If he's consistently doing a perfect 90 sec race, the precise angles, you could bind sight and overlay them and there wouldn't be a shred of doubt.

I also don't think he's cheating because he's really good, knowledgable, and practices a lot. In my experience, these are not things cheaters do. Why spend hundreds of hours practicing a race if you're going to script it? Why host guild training sessions and be able to answer every question regarding every race and know every trick unless he's just... good?

The video also hinges on him having 108 ping. I spoke to him and he said his usual ping is much lower. Without the 108, his jumps drop from "inhuman" to "top 1%". Another big factor is level of attention - I used to keep my hand on the mouse, autorun bound to middle click, and use that to jump, then swap to W (which was bound to both Forward and Strafe Left). Obviously GINA is a factor too. The sound trigger you use matters.

Quote:
Also, there are other cases where human error revealed scripting on this project, with unintended and embarrassing outcomes. It's not as though these accusations came out of left field.
Are there any of Stunningly doing this? I mean, I don't doubt people can script autorun. But I do not believe people are scripting full races and I do not believe scripted jumps matter much. Back when you HAD to use an autoclicker to win Scout Cherisa, it made sense to change it, because you simply had no chance otherwise. Remove the /random, and scripted jumps aren't even a problem anymore.

Sure, I agree that someone who cheats will go to any length. But isn't it curious how this person who gets a lot of FTE's is a really good player who practices and studies a lot? It's just so strange, the person who works the hardest to get better, is the best.

Quote:
Players who are suspected of two-boxing are put through a series of tests on the spot. It would be interesting to see if he could demonstrate the same reaction times in different settings with different random numbers being used as the green light. If I was in Vanquish, and felt that their was nothing suspicious about those numbers, that would take priority over creating antagonistic RNF threads.
I'm not opposed to this, but I don't think you can glean much from it. Different numbers wouldn't matter though, as everyone uses GINA, which is legal. I don't support cheating, even if they're my guildmates or friends. I've been accused of cheating and RMT and other garbage a lot in this game, despite the lack of proof. I'm sympathetic to false accusations.

Is Stunningly truly getting first jump on every single Statue? (Or was, I guess) If that's the case, that does change things and the video should've mentioned it.

Quote:
That someone had to compile that much evidence together rather than play the actual game, worry-free, says something about the state of the game.
Definitely agree with you here. This whole thing is a little fascinating to me as a mostly-outsider because I used to get first jump off the line frequently due to reasons explained above and was accused of cheating a few times.

However, I don't know if the problem is that people today are more inclined to spend 2 months making a documentary instead of spending those 2 months practicing. I don't know if Riot has a practice server or how much they spend there.

p99 is a strange hobby, sure. But racing can be a lot of fun for some people. NToV races were my favorite part of the game. I did a lot of tracking too. The competition, and contributing to the guilds success are what drove me. Is it really THAT hard to believe someone is just really good?

Back in 2016, Kelzaraz got 5 of 6 Vulak FTE's. That was the first time I saw people posting about scripting. Kelz recorded most of them, and the most interesting thing I took away from them were that the first person off the line didn't even survive to Vulak a single time.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:46 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
W

Are there any of Stunningly doing this? I mean, I don't doubt people can script autorun. But I do not believe people are scripting full races and I do not believe scripted jumps matter much. Back when you HAD to use an autoclicker to win Scout Cherisa, it made sense to change it, because you simply had no chance otherwise. Remove the /random, and scripted jumps aren't even a problem anymore.

Sure, I agree that someone who cheats will go to any length. But isn't it curious how this person who gets a lot of FTE's is a really good player who practices and studies a lot? It's just so strange, the person who works the hardest to get better, is the best.

https://youtu.be/EjDVoBJFKqs

Also, I want to buy a Bio Orb. Got one for sale?
Old 02-27-2022, 04:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbel123 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Probably, I have several. You should ask your officers how their petition went. Oops.
Old 02-27-2022, 04:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbel123 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Serious question though, can you explain what I'm looking at here? I never did DN swarming, or really much swarming at all. Is this a video Stunningly uploaded? Using a metronome is obviously nothing new, but what, the video doesn't match the keypresses?
Old 02-27-2022, 04:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Oh I see it now. Precisely 4.0 seconds between songs.

Yeah, this video is interesting. Got a link to the accompanying RNF thread?
Old 02-27-2022, 04:40 AM
Sarnak

We are gonna summarize the kill list once cycle is over, but it's not looning good for <All we do is cry and UN memes>
Old 02-27-2022, 10:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisley [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For a script to work for the full race, it'd have to be from beginning to end to time up properly, and if that WERE the case, that video could've been much more convincing by showing the actual races, not the jumps. If he's consistently doing a perfect 90 sec race, the precise angles, you could bind sight and overlay them and there wouldn't be a shred of doubt.

Quote:
I also don't think he's cheating because he's really good, knowledgable, and practices a lot. In my experience, these are not things cheaters do. Why spend hundreds of hours practicing a race if you're going to script it? Why host guild training sessions and be able to answer every question regarding every race and know every trick unless he's just... good?
"As the stats showed, Barry Bonds was a very prolific home run hitter before the steroid era."

"If his career had ended in 1998, Bonds would be a . 290 hitter with 411 home runs, 1,917 hits, 1,216 RBI, 1,357 walks (289 intentional) and a . 966 OPS (164 OPS+). There are four other players eligible for the Hall of Fame with at least 400 home runs and 1,900 hits..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hall-of-famer/
https://www.quora.com/What-kind-of-c...ot-do-steroids

''You have to have a basic gift and then it's how you work with that gift, how you shape it, the work that you do, the intensity you do it in and then the motivation for the race. I'm very motivated for this race. It's everything.''

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/29/sports/cycling-training-not-racing-gives-armstrong-his-edge

Quote:
Are there any of Stunningly doing this? I mean, I don't doubt people can script autorun. But I do not believe people are scripting full races and I do not believe scripted jumps matter much.
Those specific cases involved others who demonstrated similar reaction times in the video.

Quote:
But the argument isn't that the players in question aren't capable of securing FTEs regularly, it's that they chose to give themselves an advantage. If they didn't think that the advantage was needed or beneficial, they wouldn't have resorted to using it. And apparently at least one of them is S tier at raiding/racing in EQ, so if any player knew whether or not that advantage translated into FTEs, wouldn't they know? And if they knew it didn't make a significant difference, why would they use it anyway?

"We're talking about fractions of a second here. And uh, over time, they add up to a lot."

Quote:
I'm not opposed to this, but I don't think you can glean much from it.
It would show that the player either could or could not match previous reaction times. If the player was not able to achieve the same or similar reaction times, it would indicate either that they had relied on scripting in the past or recently suffered a hand injury, likely from punching someone's teeth out.

Quote:
However, I don't know if the problem is that people today are more inclined to spend 2 months making a documentary instead of spending those 2 months practicing. I don't know if Riot has a practice server or how much they spend there.

p99 is a strange hobby, sure. But racing can be a lot of fun for some people. NToV races were my favorite part of the game. I did a lot of tracking too. The competition, and contributing to the guilds success are what drove me. Is it really THAT hard to believe someone is just really good?
Pulling unrooted dragons was a lot of fun for quite a few players as well. Some of the things they were able to do were surprising and they did put a lot of time into knowing zone layouts, spawns, and pathing like the back of their hand. Ssouky is a name that always comes to mind because he alone brought a CSG raid to a successful conclusion, showing up after many hours were lost to what felt like a mobius strip of respawns. All it took was a pair of fresh eyes and calm directions, and within half an hour Lady N died without incident. These were referred to as the "playmakers", a term that eventually became a point of contention within the alliance due to loot distribution. It always comes down to pixels. Playmakers were good, Ssouky was great, but no one is as good as what was shown in the recording.

Again, it would be helpful if more of the race was analyzed, but that would require a lot more effort than either accepting the change or subjecting the player(s) in question to a simple test.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:57 AM
Planar Protector

Remember when vanquish had videos up on YouTube about how to script and then immediately took them down when they got caught cheating? Lol
Old 02-28-2022, 02:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viscere [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We are gonna summarize the kill list once cycle is over, but it's not looning good for <All we do is cry and UN memes>
You keep saying "we" like you're an important part of it.