Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 06:52 PM
Planar Protector

Default mage missing spells on green

Can someone inform me of that non existent spells that some green mages were having problems with early on?

I want to prepare for the next server launch. What spells were not there? I think there was a whole set of missing pets or research items or something?

Thanks!
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:11 PM
Sarnak

It's outlined in the spell research page FAQ section at the top, but here is the relevant excerpt:

"Why are some Magician Pet recipes missing?

Magician research was actually broken on release of EQ. Magicians were supposed to research all of their pets after level 16 or 20 (I'm unsure if the vendor in OoT had these spells on release), but several of the recipes didn't work. Since Magicians required research chains for all of their pets (researching a pet required you to re-research all prior pets to use the spells in the current research), the broken recipes meant they couldn't get any of their pets after those levels. Several months after release, when this was discovered (and likely in conjunction with the realization that chain research created very large disparities between magicians and the other researching classes), the solution was to put some of the pet spells from each level - including those with the broken recipes - on merchants instead of correcting the broken research. Thus there are pets that can only be obtained through purchasing them from a vendor and cannot be researched. These include the level 34 Earth & Water, level 39 Air & Fire Pets."

I wrote most of that as an expansion of what was already there and a discussion about it here somewhere. IIRC the only pets at level 34 you could get were the Air and Fire pets, and you couldn't get ANY level 39+ pets.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:34 AM
Sarnak

If you have any kind of ambition to start strong, avoid mage.

Better off with a necro or enchanter, if you are one of the higher level mages on the server you'll simply hit a brick wall due to lack of research components and pets being research only.

On live it wasn't an issue since people leveled very slowly and pets were on vendors before it became an issue.

My mage was in his 30s on teal while still using a 24 pet, not a fun experience.

Also the 51 pet has required level 52 on green, same with the 52-54 pets which all require one level higher.

Has been "fixed pending update" for over a month afaik.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

Based on Sabins comments you can get the level 34 air and fire pet and the level 39 earth and water is that correct? At launch?

And then you hit the wall?

Pretty good since the mage is hands down the best / easiest class to churn through the game with.

I agree that a necro is probably better pick except wishing you were an iksar in a year or so.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:46 PM
Banned

This was never an issue on Blue at launch

There were no plans to have mage pets this way at Green Launch until about a week before Green opened

Then Dolalin whined and complained and offered some obscure text from some forgotten website 20 years ago to get the changes quickly implemented before launch

The claim was to keep it "Classic" but the real reason was to kneecap mages at launch so they couldn't jump out the gate ahead of everyone else with their pets
Old 12-19-2020, 01:20 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Based on Sabins comments you can get the level 34 air and fire pet and the level 39 earth and water is that correct? At launch?
Even if the recipes worked, chain research makes it pretty damn difficult to keep up with current pets.

While I appreciate much of the vision of P99, I will simply never understand the rationale of "You had research that was unfinished and broken on the launch of the game, so we will do the same here. Nevermind that the original devs fixed it in a later patch."

I'd love to see what a P99 server with all of the actual bugs fixed at launch looks like.
Old 12-19-2020, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin76 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even if the recipes worked, chain research makes it pretty damn difficult to keep up with current pets.

While I appreciate much of the vision of P99, I will simply never understand the rationale of "You had research that was unfinished and broken on the launch of the game, so we will do the same here. Nevermind that the original devs fixed it in a later patch."

I'd love to see what a P99 server with all of the actual bugs fixed at launch looks like.
Not to mention that a lot of (broken/unfinished) content at the release of games like this were never intentional at the time

When actually releasing/publishing a game that is sold to the general public there are different factors that come into play in regards to when a game is released and in what state it is released in

Corporate overlords, marketing and timing are all more important than the actual game

Getting the game out before Summer was more important than mage research at original release

The people who made an investment wanted maximum return on that investment

Everquest Vanilla was purposely released in an unfinished state because of money. That is not a concern here so it seems pointless to release an emulated server in a purposeful broken state because of reasons that had nothing to do with the game itself

That's why all of the wayback patch note hunting is stupid and a waste of time. There is no context to any of it. It's a few forum junkies engaging in Cosplay
Old 12-21-2020, 03:49 PM
Planar Protector

Depends on what you want out of the server I guess.

Nilbog/Rogean seem to want Project1999 to be recreation of the game in 1999, with all the unintended bugs that were later fixed. Most of the "fixed" things from that time are either Customer Service issues (/list) to lighten volunteer GM commitment or things they can't fix easily due to the Titanium client or modern technology (More classic UI, widescreen monitors, more classic lighting engine, etc).

If you want a fixed Classic progression server, well there are resources out there to start up your own emulator project I guess.

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Closed Thread