Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #131  
Old 03-10-2023, 04:12 PM
Toxigen Toxigen is online now
Planar Protector

Toxigen's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 4,108
Default

oh lawd here we go again
__________________
ENC | MNK | WAR | ROG | CLR | DRU | SHM | NEC | PAL | BRD
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 03-10-2023, 06:35 PM
Trelaboon Trelaboon is offline
Fire Giant

Trelaboon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
JBB is still great at 60. One common use is for clearing out trash that isn't too difficult, since you don't need to spend mana doing it.

I also use it when fighting WW dragons. If the dragon gets my health down faster than anticipated, I throw on a torpor and do 1-2 JBB casts while waiting to get back to safe levels of HP.

I also use it for low agro damage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umuVBewCNgY . With the new changes to poison/disease spells it may not be as necessary anymore, I need to test it.
You might be right. I have just found that the duration of pox/bane ends up lasting about the amount of time it takes me to canni back the mana I used to cast them, then torpor and by then bane has usually worn off. Bane does more dps than a JBB if chain casted with no interrupts, so it never made sense to me to use JBB over Bane when the time it takes to build the mana back up after casting it, is similar to the duration of bane.

I admittedly donít enjoy my shaman that much and therefore donít play him that often. Iíd rather use my enchanter to farm, if Iím gonna do it, so Iím not the best authority on the class. I would never use a JBB over Bane though. The only time I could see clicking a JBB is on a mob that wouldnít live long enough for Bane to run its course (which is almost never) or if you have 8 seconds left before bane wears off and you canni/torpor back to full, then Iíd click it. But thatís not worth 16-18k to me.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 03-11-2023, 05:26 PM
DeathsSilkyMist DeathsSilkyMist is offline
Planar Protector

DeathsSilkyMist's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5,175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelaboon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You might be right. I have just found that the duration of pox/bane ends up lasting about the amount of time it takes me to canni back the mana I used to cast them, then torpor and by then bane has usually worn off. Bane does more dps than a JBB if chain casted with no interrupts, so it never made sense to me to use JBB over Bane when the time it takes to build the mana back up after casting it, is similar to the duration of bane.

I admittedly donít enjoy my shaman that much and therefore donít play him that often. Iíd rather use my enchanter to farm, if Iím gonna do it, so Iím not the best authority on the class. I would never use a JBB over Bane though. The only time I could see clicking a JBB is on a mob that wouldnít live long enough for Bane to run its course (which is almost never) or if you have 8 seconds left before bane wears off and you canni/torpor back to full, then Iíd click it. But thatís not worth 16-18k to me.
Yeah it's mostly a mana saving tool. The problem with high level Shaman spells is they all cost a lot of mana. There are plenty of times where I resort to JBB because it can save a bit of time on cannibalizing. If a mob is at like 5% HP when all your DoTs run off, it sucks to have to recast Bane on it to finish it off.

Since you have a 60 Enchanter that is generally the better class to farm on. I don't have a 60 Enchanter, so most of my farming is done on my Shaman. For someone who has both a 60 Enchanter and a 60 Shaman I agree JBB is less necessary since you aren't farming on your Shaman anyway. It's best when you main your Shaman. Saving a spell slot is really nice on a Shaman since typically 5/8 slots are filled already .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 03-11-2023, 06:35 PM
Ripqozko Ripqozko is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
oh lawd here we go again
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 03-11-2023, 07:50 PM
Bockscar Bockscar is offline
Sarnak


Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 428
Default

Has to be kept in mind, too, that clicky items circumvent the global cooldown. While any instant-click item can reset the GCD, it can't reset the inherent cooldowns that some spells have. There will be times when you just have dead space between casts no matter what. In a lot of cases, you need to weigh a clicky item's cast time against the fact that you never have to wait for it, you can just start the cast immediately and then cast another spell immediately afterwards as well. By and large, you can probably treat an item with an 8.0 clicky as being functionally the same as a spell with a 6.0 cast time, just because you don't have to deal with any in-between waits.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 03-14-2023, 12:45 PM
Ardok Ardok is offline
Kobold

Ardok's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 136
Default

It's my life's mission to min/max a 20+ year old game to the point where I get no enjoyment out of it but I want a false sense of accomplishment of my life.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 03-14-2023, 03:24 PM
sajbert sajbert is offline
Sarnak


Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's my life's mission to min/max a 20+ year old game to the point where I get no enjoyment out of it but I want a false sense of accomplishment of my life.
You get it
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 03-15-2023, 05:08 PM
Bockscar Bockscar is offline
Sarnak


Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 428
Default

I mean, is it any less nerdy to make major, character-defining decisions based purely on appearance in a game that looks this primitive? It's not as if you're choosing something that looks great, it's one step above preferring triangles over squares.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 04-26-2023, 12:04 AM
eisley eisley is offline
Planar Protector


Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: seattle
Posts: 1,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelaboon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You might be right. I have just found that the duration of pox/bane ends up lasting about the amount of time it takes me to canni back the mana I used to cast them, then torpor and by then bane has usually worn off. Bane does more dps than a JBB if chain casted with no interrupts, so it never made sense to me to use JBB over Bane when the time it takes to build the mana back up after casting it, is similar to the duration of bane..
This is the correct answer. Either epic or Bane fully replace JBB.
__________________
alksley <rampage> / <awakened> / <TSS>
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 04-26-2023, 08:03 AM
Toxigen Toxigen is online now
Planar Protector

Toxigen's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 4,108
Default

There's usually a lot better things you can be doing than clicking JBB (at 60 w/ torpor).

Its amazing til you get bane/pox/epic/torpor tho.
__________________
ENC | MNK | WAR | ROG | CLR | DRU | SHM | NEC | PAL | BRD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Everquest is a registered trademark of Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Project 1999 is not associated or affiliated in any way with Daybreak Game Company LLC.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.