Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 04:32 AM
Sarnak

Default Twink Battle Cleric

Ive got the gear to do it i think and have been tempted to try it when i have time to play again. Fungi, FBSS, Hp rings, PWC, etc. My question is, to anyone who has gone the solo melee cleric route, is it entertaining? I feel like i can find enough undead to get to 50+ solo and if i get the urge to group theres that option (although this would be a red character).

Another question.. Is there a better weapon with a proc that would be worth using over the PWC or is this going to be better than anything with a proc? I know dawnfire is out there but its unlikely to be affordable for me and doesnt proc until 40sish..

Thoughts? Suggestions? Other than "play a pally if you want to melee" because i had one and its not my favorite melee class in this era unfortunately. On live its far and away my favorite, but not here. I think cleric with the wider spell range might be more fun for some semi challenging soloing. If its not what its cracked up to be in my mind i can always move my gear back around and roll something else.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:57 AM
Sarnak

Also interested in a druid on blue or to get back into my mid 20s one on red. At the very least, what item would benefit most for charming on a druid outside of gobby ring? i have been able to work around without on a blue enchanter with taper enchantment up to 30 so far but i know its going to be needed soon if not now. I havent played druid in awhile, but i had little issue charming in EK without it by simply using hide or quick invis iirc. Im guessing nothing until clickies become available like ES vambs ? Maybe just a cheap spyglass for the global refresh? Probably the most useful thing i ever purchased for next to nothing on enchanter.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:02 AM
Fire Giant

The cleric wont get *any* damage enhancing skills. No dual wield, double attack and so on. So your melee skill will get weaker and weaker relative to mobs while you progress. Fights will be longer and longer. For me that alone would make me shelf my cleric after maybe 30 levels, for you it might be different.

For druid items i think you have the right ideas already. I think though items are overrated and you can do perfectly without.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Sarnak

Makes sense. Im still looking into a new character when i have the time to play again and probably just roll a druid on blue to play when enchanter gets frustrating. Charm soloing is alot of fun but sometimes i find myself wishing that i had certain skills that the enchanter lacks but the druid has for charming. Theyre limited to animals but thats something i can work around. Cleric solo twink sounds fun in theory but it may end up like you say and ill find myself needing a group to exp efficiently. Had no issue with the shaman meleeing well into the 40s on red but thats a whole different thing. Theyre really built hybrid like where the cleric isnt so much.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auchae [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Charm soloing is alot of fun but sometimes i find myself wishing that i had certain skills that the enchanter lacks but the druid has for charming. Theyre limited to animals but thats something i can work around.
My friend had an enchanter main on live. He loved charming. I convinced him to try a druid on p99. He loves it. Soloed mostly to 60. Having sow, ports and heals make charming that much better and he liked being able to change it up and quad or root/rot.

Druid might be what you're looking for. I agree the cleric will need a group after 20-30. He'll be able to tank/hold aggro but the dps would diminish or you'd need long med breaks.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:11 AM
Sarnak

Try a melee shaman instead. I went with mostly STR/HP/AC armor and had a blast smacking things around with a huge 2h weapon and did fairly well without fungi. You'll probably have a lot more fun than with a cleric too. I never did get a fungi tunic and relied only on regen spells but am doing well so far, so I'm sure you'll breeze through with one.

If you pick ogre make sure you AGI is always over 75 with fungi on. With a good slow and regen going, you'll have little to no downtime and won't be limited to undead mobs. With decent strength you will hit pretty hard and you can upgrade from PWC to a Granite Face Grinder too and there's nothing more satisfying than a bone crunching hit in the 100s with a caster class.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:49 AM
Fire Giant

If you like to charm but want some other skills there are several other options:
Bard (charm only lasts 18 seconds, but takes little to no mana... + you are wearing plate)
Necro (just undead, but oh boy, that FD spell really makes a difference)
Druid (you covered that already)

I personally am enjoying a bard at the moment. It's nice that on charm break (which happens every 18 seconds) you don't really need to fear for your life... a bard is much sturdier than a chanter, plenty of time for counter measures. And you always have speed and can cast charm while running...
Old 11-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Sarnak

Thanks guys. About the shaman.. I have a 44 troll shaman on red that i did this with but didnt have the fungi leveling up. Rolled around with the same PWC and FBSS, sold poison/disease cure pots and sow pots. Unfortunately the class lost a lot of its appeal for me because in the middle of the experience the buff timers were removed and, i dunno, that for some reason made shaman less entertaining to me. Meleeing treants and guards was alot of fun but its not the class for me. Growing up playing live EQ i hated druids because i felt like the game was built for them early on. Now i really see them for the versatile class they are. Still dig the enchanter alot but like i said the abilities i find myself wishing i had are with the druid. Necro might have some of that too.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Fire Giant

Honestly DO THIS - i just did this with my cleric on red and solo'd 1 - 51 on undead mobs exclusively.

I went dark elf, got high AC armor, and a springwood club. no haste, no fungi, no dawnfire (although its awesome and only 5k on red). Quested all my items (snare neck, Aegis of Life, etc) and really got immersed. It was right when i was needing a break from my main and it kept the game super fun for me. Some levels were slow (30 and 35 most memorably) but it was quite an experience.

You feel rogue like when you are lulling your way passed live mobs and casting IVU right in time before the pather comes back. You feel wizard like when dropping 500 dmg nukes with no recast time on spectres and frogs. And i cannot tell you how much fun I had face tanking hags in unrest's basement.

Now, when I swing my water sprinkler at a wizard thats trying to Lure me i hit for 56 almost every time and interrupted once, and I can root tank a mob incredibly efficiently in case of emergencies (thanks offense and defense skills!).
Old 11-10-2016, 01:48 AM
Planar Protector

What mobs did you fight 40+ DCC? Did you wait for 44 to do spectres?
Closed Thread