Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 03:24 PM
Sarnak

Default Hit tables and Ranger dps

I had heard the monk/rogue have a back end hit table that helps the pure melee classes have better dps. Does anyone know if this is true and how much of a difference it makes?

Will an un-twinked ranger dramatically lag behind an un-twinked monk in dps? Will either be able to solo? I'm filthy casual so I would be popping in to play for erratic periods of time so i can count on grouping.

I know casters are better solo but I have a love for melee classes. I was thinking track would help me find blue mobs quickly and efficiently but I don't want to be gimped too badly by hybrid hit tables.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Sarnak

Was I way off base? If this question has been answered before I couldn't find and I apologize.

Any help or pointing in the direction of a previous post would be much appreciated.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:24 PM
Sarnak

Both have their solo capabilities. With Velious i believe ranger now has fear animal spell and with snare, dots, arrows, melee, etc. its an effective way to solo. Starting the game from scratch as a Ranger is more frustrating than as a monk though. Monk starts off being able to dual wield and no weapons or armor really isnt an issue for a class that has strong hand to hand skill from the start and also has more ac the less junk they are carrying. Basically less can mean more for a monk alot of times early on which just isnt true for a ranger. Also mend and bind wound make the monk the ideal untwink melee. Ranger gets spells at 9 to add to his versatility and there is a fast cheap 2 handed weapon called Silver Swiftblade that i find to be a ton of fun when playing untwinked. Play the ranger for a challenging and in my opinion rewarding progression playstyle. You will have the tools with both classes to solo in the right situations, but the Ranger might take some struggling before you get to that point.

My advice.. Work every skill possible that could be used to your advantage to make the solo path easier. Bind wound especially. Keep spell skills up to par as well as melee skills with all weapon types even if you have to raise then with a subpar weapon. Track will help a ton like you think as it weeds out the bull crap. It helps a ton to find specific mobs for low end exp quests or if looking for the mobs that drop the cash items such as gems or rusty weaps.

As for back end hit table.. Im not sure about all that. A rogue is just a top dps class. Monk and ranger are behind a bit with monk edging ranger usually but worrying about dps comparisons between classes is silly sometimes because the era wont change so the tiers of dps is pretty much set. Everyone has their uses, its more about maximizing and pushing yourself with what youve got. Ranger has great utility and makes for a good ghetto tank when real tanks arent available. So do monks. I personally find all melee very rewarding playing as a true newbie with no gear because every new item feels like an accomplishment and you can always feel a difference with a weapon upgrade. Dunno if that helps but thats my take on it.

And nah youre not off base asking a question. The class forums are slow sometimes. You can try asking some questions in the starting zone forum too. Youre not going to be gimped playing ranger. Hes the offensive hybrid. Hes got great melee capabilities. You could look into warrior as well if you like seeing big numbers and crits. They actually do really good dps even though they are considered a tank class. Tons of warrior only weaps with great ratios as well. Class can feel a little dull to some though. I personally enjoy it.
Last edited by Auchae; 11-01-2016 at 09:29 PM..
Old 11-01-2016, 09:25 PM
Sarnak

I have no evidence as in parsing but leveling as a ranger is pretty tough as an untwink. Monks with less gear will do more and take less damage than you will. With that said, I love my ranger and would rather play him over any other class. You will just have to find ways around your shortcomings or be very patient with finding groups. Luckily, you have one of the easier epics to complete and once you have Swiftwind life gets easier. Not a whole lot easier, but a little.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreap [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have no evidence as in parsing but leveling as a ranger is pretty tough as an untwink. Monks with less gear will do more and take less damage than you will. With that said, I love my ranger and would rather play him over any other class. You will just have to find ways around your shortcomings or be very patient with finding groups. Luckily, you have one of the easier epics to complete and once you have Swiftwind life gets easier. Not a whole lot easier, but a little.
Ranger leveling can be very fun and not tough as an untwink if you play to your advantages and with the addition of fear animal it is almost mind numbing...

Ranger's are able to generate agro effectively so some out of the ordinary group compositions and 'funstyles' are available.

Ranger's also have an uncanny ability to chain-pull very very effectively if played in a hyper-world-domination mode.

Ranger's can usually take an unexpectant group of lfg'ers and outpace xp expectations through sheer force of Karana's will...

Ranger's will shine late-game because of the friends they have made throughout their journey and hit-tables become less of an issue...

to OP - There are a lot of post's mixed in this area about late/mid? velious patches that fix a lot of issues with melee hit tables/skills... iirc rangers have a buff still on the way(whether buff or not relative to other classes updates i can't comment on)...someone else i'm sure will elaborate more... or can search this sub-forum more or general beta discussion subforum about patches...

daldaen usually has great input on such matter's...
Last edited by entruil; 11-01-2016 at 10:40 PM..
Old 11-03-2016, 04:12 PM
Large Bat

Ranger dps is good, not as good as monk/rogue but being 3rd best in the game (competing with warrior depending on situation/gear) is nothing to sneeze at.

Rangers lack in defense, especially untwinked so it's gonna be rough at the early levels soloing. Once you get panic animal (lvl 22) you can solo really well fearkiting animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by entruil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
iirc rangers have a buff still on the way(whether buff or not relative to other classes updates i can't comment on)
Last velious patch is the big melee patch. Rangers get a much needed buff to both defensive and offensive skills.

As for comparing to other classes. Warriors/monks will still tank better, rogues/monks still do more dps. That said Rangers are still a solid class for every aspect of the game (solo/grouping/raiding) imo.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:19 PM
Planar Protector

Yes, the untwinked monk will do noticeably more dps then the untwinked ranger. The untwinked ranger however has a better arsenal of tools to solo into the 50s with though.