Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 04-27-2022, 07:09 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Will there be a new server anytime soon?

I am getting bored with World of Warcraft TBC and I had the urge to play Everquest again. I still remember Everquest on release day in 1999, a truly magical time as a kid for me. Is it worth it to start a new character on one of the servers at this point? Will there be a new server within the next year or year and a half? What exactly is the timeline and plans for the future? Any information would be much appreciated.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:08 PM
Aviak

I also am playing WoW TBC. I have a 65 Warrior on there. I'm probably not nearly as far as you are. WoW is great for jumping in and just running off and playing. EQ is not like that for me.

There are solo classes in the game, but soloing in this game takes a lot of research and gameplay honing to be fun. Avoiding downtime is an art in this game, and I have not learned how to do it.

The reason I love EQ is the grouping element. There is nothing quite like landing a spot in an optimal leveling group, everyone playing their role well. WoW TBC does not encourage leveling grouping like EQ does. WoW can be and I think is mostly, soloed to level 70, and then grouping finally begins. That leveling experience pales in comparison to the leveling experience in EQ. I'm sure WoW endgame content is more fun than EQ though. EQ end game content is lacking.

There will be a new server probably by sometime early next year, if the rumors are true. That is still a ways away.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtanius21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I also am playing WoW TBC. I have a 65 Warrior on there. I'm probably not nearly as far as you are. WoW is great for jumping in and just running off and playing. EQ is not like that for me.

There are solo classes in the game, but soloing in this game takes a lot of research and gameplay honing to be fun. Avoiding downtime is an art in this game, and I have not learned how to do it.

The reason I love EQ is the grouping element. There is nothing quite like landing a spot in an optimal leveling group, everyone playing their role well. WoW TBC does not encourage leveling grouping like EQ does. WoW can be and I think is mostly, soloed to level 70, and then grouping finally begins. That leveling experience pales in comparison to the leveling experience in EQ. I'm sure WoW endgame content is more fun than EQ though. EQ end game content is lacking.

There will be a new server probably by sometime early next year, if the rumors are true. That is still a ways away.
I 100% agree with this post. Coincidentally I also have a level 65 I'm playing every once in a while but he's a rogue. EQ has the best leveling journey imo, while wow has a lot of really great end-game content.

*edit* also, the PvP is superior on WoW by a landslide.
“The fundamental question is, will I be as effective as a boss like my dad was? And I will be, even more so. But until I am, it's going to be hard to verify that I think I'll be more effective.“- Little Carmine
Old 04-27-2022, 02:46 PM
Planar Protector

I wouldnt wait on a new server.

Flip a coin for blue vs green

Red if you dont mind a quiet server but like the idea of open camps, and the possibility of PVP and resists actually mattering.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:27 PM
Kobold

Only rumors about another server and no update on when/if Green gets merged into Blue. I play both currently. Green has more people leveling and would be optimal for groups, Blue has fewer people leveling so it would be a better opportunity to snag some good solo spots. Groups are still available on Blue, you just have to look a bit unless you're in HHK, Crushbone, CoM, the usual suspects. Gear is a little pricier on Green.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:38 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland0420 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am getting bored with World of Warcraft TBC and I had the urge to play Everquest again. I still remember Everquest on release day in 1999, a truly magical time as a kid for me. Is it worth it to start a new character on one of the servers at this point? Will there be a new server within the next year or year and a half? What exactly is the timeline and plans for the future? Any information would be much appreciated.
Hello Roland0420!

I too am new to P99 Green and am having a TON of fun. I would tell you that I've run into a LOT of new players on Green. While there **may** be a new server in the future (if green rolls into Blue) I wouldn't wait as it is most likely 2023+. You won't be alone on Green if you play as I find the all the people to SUPER nice.

BadBeans
Last edited by BadBeans; 04-28-2022 at 11:46 AM..
Old 04-28-2022, 11:51 AM
Planar Protector

A lot of people are asking for a Classic only server and even a Kunark only server.

Whether we'll see them...who knows. I doubt it, but you never know.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadsamoney [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of people are asking for a Classic only server and even a Kunark only server.

Whether we'll see them...who knows. I doubt it, but you never know.
Fun for a while but would get old and stale, much like on Blue.

I'm starting to think a Luclin server would be best. Would add gnome and troll cultural armor, AAs to balance the "underpowered" classes, make waking the Sleeper not so big a deal etc.

Just no "upgraded" character models because they're awful.

It's funny, I remember back in the day my computer struggled with Luclin lol. As a result I know virtually nothing about the zones or anything from it.

Oh, no recommended levels either. I forgot that was part of Luclin. So maybe a Luclin-eque server.
Last edited by MrSparkle001; 04-28-2022 at 12:10 PM..
Old 04-28-2022, 12:18 PM
Sarnak

Cool

There are literally 100s of extremely good video games that are NOT MMOs in the world.

Sometimes I am pretty curious why the overwhelming majority of other video games that get talked about hete are MMOs? Not to be demeaning, but alot of MMOs or the vast majority of the MMO catalogue to me seem like...an addiction or urge to many as opposed to an objectively fine bottle of wine or limited experience.

Am I just Being obtuse or presumtuous or are some of us possibly suffering from some MMO jonesing or addiction if we arent playing 1? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Diablo games and Borderlands are very fun PvE multiplayer games. I suggest a break from MMOs if one is getting super lackluster or feels like a chore. EQ is always more fun to me after a significant break for example.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Avoiding downtime is an art in this game
Great truth. I dont think about it as an artform, but it sure as hell is.

Quote:
*edit* also, the PvP is superior on WoW by a landslide.
Though i would agree with you in a "game balance" sense you are correct, a rogue, can beat a wizard in 1v1 face off fuels in WOW

But EQ creates a more, social, and realistic Gang like mentality... where you have the heavy hitting psychopaths you need to bring with you, the smart healers, and then the cannon fodder...

Its like, you have to work together, just like IRL, in pvp especially in this game to ever get ahead with it.

PvE has been min maxed to basically be a solo game to 60.. but pvp is still more of a group content feature in this game, and it is IRL too, and that I like.
Last edited by Jibartik; 04-28-2022 at 12:22 PM..