Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 05-08-2022, 08:32 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New to EQ and P99!

Hello! I've recently caught a few streams by RenFail and was looking for a 'classic' game to play, so I decided I'd try P99. I'm a little lost though, since I have no experience in this game what so ever. My basic MMO instincts only getting me so far right now [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So for my first character I rolled a Troll Shaman named Sourbreath on the Green Server. If anyone is around that way and wants to give a newbie a lesson or two, let me know! Enjoy your day!
Old 05-13-2022, 02:50 PM
Aviak

Welcome to a steep learning curve. Ask around in game for grouping spots. The wiki guides are your friends.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:10 AM
Kobold

Welcome! Troll Shaman is a great first character even if you eventually switch. Grobb is about as easy of a 'city' as there is to navigate and hunting along the wall in Innothule means you'll rarely get lost. I recommend using the wiki for maps and general informaton. Skeletons and Frogloks are great killing as they drop coin and gear. I have a character on Green that can hit you up with some lowbie armor I think. When do you play?
Old 05-14-2022, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

Thats awesome! Welcome to the real world!

In this game tis quite different than modern mmo's its not so much about following the info the game gives you, and more just about grinding & leveling.. Named creatures tend to drop rare items and what you want to do is find a dungeon that is in your level range and then go there and beg for groups, or send mass tells to people to be like, want to do a group?

The only way to really make money is to find items that drop, and then sell them to other players yourself in the east commonlands tunnel, you wont make any money or gold leveling alone.

Like if you want to find people type /who all 10 20 and it will list all the people who are level 10-20 (correct me if Im wrong folks I forget the exact way maybe)

but that way you can find people to send them tells and ask if they want to join you!

In modern mmos its more like solo and then find help when you need it, this game is like, all about help all the time, help others, help yourself, help help help!

Soloing is an advanced mechanic that has taken this server like 10+ years to really master. For a good 5-7 nobody was doing what they do here now IMO.

edit: im not fixing that 'tis' because tis the way we should speak in Norrath.

edit: a good way to get used to this stuff is to try to level in teh area outside guk (near your home city) and then try to leve inside guk, and ask people to join you constantly, and ask for buffs since there are a lot of high levels going in and out of that place!

if you can manage to get some trolls and other players together to get EXP in guk, and you manage to like, out level the intro area in there, you're going to be solid for the rest of the game, that's what the whole thing is like!

Also the low level guk area is a hard dungeon IMO with lots of big pulls, so it really is a good example of what this game is like [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

look for spiders just inside to the right!! A named drops a good item for shaman trolls and easier to solo and learn.
Last edited by Jibartik; 05-14-2022 at 12:26 PM..