Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 06-01-2022, 10:32 AM
Large Rat

Default New player looking for info about leveling

Hello, i recently joined green server to try everquest for the first time. I had played MUDs back in the 90s before graphics were the norm, i actually played on sojourn / toril, which apparently was played by some of the creators of everquest, and is very similar to the design of everquest.

Anyway. I have gotten to level 5 as a halfling druid, as apparently it's a good first character. I'm looking for some suggestions on where to find mobs to fight. I looked at the p99 resource for "per level hunting guide" and most of the level 4-5 mobs are just wandering around the 2nd noobie areas, and almost all guides just say fight everything in the noobie areas. So I've pretty much gotten to level 5 fighting beetles and orc pawns around misty thicket and east commonlands, but now at level 5 those level 2 mobs aren't giving me much xp. I don't have much equipment, white con mobs are very hard for me, should i buy a set of cloth gear or can i wear a heavier option? Should i travel to crushbone (I think that's the name) and try to find a group? I did try to group in East commonlands but the groups at the orc spawns said I wouldnt get xp bc I was too low a level compared to the other members.

Thanks for any input,
Hiddenx, halfling druid
Old 06-01-2022, 11:03 AM
Sarnak

If you can get a group the entrance of befallen or guk would be great xp. The orc groups are good if you can get one without such a high lvl. I've always found the side of Neriak near commons zone line is good solo spot for 5+. Careful of the Dark Elf guards tho
Old 06-01-2022, 11:14 AM
Large Rat

Thanks for replying. Im such a noob, are those places I should get a port to? Or do i take a boat or something? I read on the wiki the boat is unpopular bc of the time it takes? Thanks again.

*edit* looking at the wiki I guess neriak is the dark elf city, which is north of the commonlands, so go to their noobie area?
Last edited by watashi86; 06-01-2022 at 11:19 AM..
Old 06-01-2022, 11:29 AM
Sarnak

My bad it's been a while. I meant Nektulos forest not Neriak city. The side of Nektulos from the bridge with Darkelf guards to Eastcommonlands zone line is a nice area for 5+. The bone chips that drop from skeletons will sell for 5-10pp in ecommns tunnel. This is great way to make money early. Any type of skeleton humanoid, goblin etc... will drop cloth armor. Not sure if it will be wearable by your race but that's how I always get that first set of cloth.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:38 AM
Sarnak

Those High Quality pelts should sell too in ec tunnel
Old 06-01-2022, 11:58 AM
Large Rat

Ok, thanks again. Someone evil killing guards in rivervale gave me a bunch of the spears and shields to sell so i have some plat to get spells and some cheap gear with.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:58 AM
Kobold

I'd advise to stay out of Nektulos, a fair amount of wandering guards and easy to get lost. The sweet spot for 5-6 is black bears, shadow wolves and skeletons I think. A quick look at the Misty Thicket wiki says large wood spiders and diseased rats are perfect level too. You COULD travel to Crushbone but its a long dangerous journey for someone new and puts you on the opposite continent of your spell vendors I think. The entrance to Befallen is an excellent idea but be careful of the ghoul who spawns there. I'd prob solo Misty/Befallen/NRO until 12ish and head to Oasis. Opportunity to group for crocs or orcs and I think 14 brings your first animal charm spell so the crocs become wonderful solo targets. If you spend the next level killing all black bears and get a couple HQ skins, auction them in EC with the note that you're brand new and you'll likely get some very generous buyers. Any leather pieces you can find for ac will help. Any plat you earn, save for spells and ac/hp rings.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:59 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi86 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok, thanks again. Someone evil killing guards in rivervale gave me a bunch of the spears and shields to sell so i have some plat to get spells and some cheap gear with.
Even better!
Old 06-01-2022, 01:28 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambiant [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd prob solo Misty/Befallen/NRO until 12ish and head to Oasis.
Thanks for replying, I'm such a noob, what does NRO stand for? I'm guessing northern desert of ro?
Old 06-01-2022, 03:18 PM
Kobold

Correct! Don't be shy about being a noob. This game is/was genuinely challenging even to veterans. Please feel free to PM me or post more questions.