Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 06-04-2022, 12:46 AM
Large Rat

Default Brand new to the game!

Im brand new to EQ games never played them in my life until this one. i made a rouge and someone told me that people could give me a hand with some starting gear, i play on the green server and my name is Orimmuid [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-04-2022, 02:12 AM
Planar Protector

Welcome to Project 1999!

while i would always advise that people play the race/class combo that they will enjoy the most, I will also mention that starting fresh as a non-tank melee will have some hurdles to overcome.

Rogues, even when geared decently, still don't avoid taking damage very well, so you are stuck grouping for experience until forever. Rogues by design are meant to be played with others who can maintain the mob's attention while the rogue backstabs for sweet dps.

You may find the starting experience to be alot smoother if you were to make your first character a pet class like a magician or necro. Magician is very easy to learn, Necromancer a little bit tougher.

These classes are great for solo play, and grouping. On top of that flexibility, you will be able to use your pet class to farm items and generate plat to buy items for your pure melee characters.

Of course, I don't mean to sway you from starting with a rogue, im just offering this EQ veteran's opinion on starting fresh on a new server.

Please feel free to open up to the community with any questions you may have, we are here to help. Well some will troll, but most of us are here to help! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-04-2022, 02:39 AM
Large Rat

so this is like the darksouls version of this game? lol
Old 06-04-2022, 07:22 AM
Kobold

Welcome!
I'd echo Trexller and say that rolling a Rogue first is essentially choosing Very Hard in an objectively already Hard game. A decent weapon will roll you right to level 10's doorstep where you'll be hard pressed to down a single target by yourself every 10-15 minutes. By all means explore and learn the game however makes sense to you. We all have lowbies we've started and just moved on to something else that felt more fun.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:28 PM
Kobold

Hi there!

I think the other two have good points about playing Rogue as your first EQ class. I started as a Warrior way back at launch in ‘99 and it was a bit of a challenge, but I don’t think it is quite the same today and you could still have a great experience.

Issues with melee classes like Warrior, Rogue, Monk, etc. is a severe lack of mobility. EverQuest works off a “bind” system for reapawns. As melee, you have no ability to “bind” yourself to a location. That means you’ll be heavily reliant on casters to cast the spell “Bind Affinity” on you in city areas, as most outdoor experience zones will not allow you to do so. This can be frustrating while learning the game, as you may find yourself running back to your corpse more than you play.

Personally, I don’t think it is such a big deal. There are a massive number of guides, videos, and great people in the game that will leap to help new players. This goes doubly for truly new players like yourself.

Feel free to reach out to me at any time! I am Buckshort on Green.
Last edited by Loiterius; 06-04-2022 at 12:31 PM..
Old 06-04-2022, 04:04 PM
Banned

dont beg lol
Old 06-04-2022, 11:26 PM
Large Rat

Lost all my gear and died in a place idk where i even was
Old 06-05-2022, 01:52 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to kingsBlend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcbillyboy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so this is like the darksouls version of this game? lol
Yes, YOU DIED