Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

play whatever class you want, but keep in mind the issues of timezones/playtimes. groups are quite frequent here during late afternoon/evening EST.

But if you want a class that'll shine in kunark don't make a mage... despite what people here think they really do stink in kunark compared to necros/monks/shaman. they do make a fantastic first class in classic though, and because you're an int caster that doesn't/can't quad you have no real need for int really. level about the same with no int gear as you would with int gear, so buying gear isn't a priority (other than a shovel and torch).

I went with necro and have grouped maybe once in 42 levels and don't plan on grouping till i start raiding. if played correctly solo you can level faster than you would have if you were grouping. It's not that I have an aversion or distaste of groups, but because as a necro i can go afk whenever the hell i want and come back and fear-quad kite when im FM :P my point is EQ isn't hard, and if you pick the right class and you're smart and clever enough you can get by quite easily.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
play whatever class you want, but keep in mind the issues of timezones/playtimes. groups are quite frequent here during late afternoon/evening EST.

But if you want a class that'll shine in kunark don't make a mage... despite what people here think they really do stink in kunark compared to necros/monks/shaman. they do make a fantastic first class in classic though, and because you're an int caster that doesn't/can't quad you have no real need for int really. level about the same with no int gear as you would with int gear, so buying gear isn't a priority (other than a shovel and torch).

I went with necro and have grouped maybe once in 42 levels and don't plan on grouping till i start raiding. if played correctly solo you can level faster than you would have if you were grouping. It's not that I have an aversion or distaste of groups, but because as a necro i can go afk whenever the hell i want and come back and fear-quad kite when im FM :P my point is EQ isn't hard, and if you pick the right class and you're smart and clever enough you can get by quite easily.
Good point but you didn't spell it out as to why, and that is most mobs have crazy high Fire resistance in Kunark.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:12 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But if you want a class that'll shine in kunark don't make a mage... despite what people here think they really do stink in kunark compared to necros/monks/shaman.
Would you care to explain this a little more? Why to they "stink" in kunark compared to those other classes?

Is mob fire resistance in kunark a problem? I don't use my fire pet in groups anyway. I use an air pet for the stuns. Is raiding a problem for mage pets? I read that mage sustained dps is better than wizards in raids.

Do mages still "stink" in velous?

My main is a mage right now, but I'm only lvl 17.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:31 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Finawin

Lol I played a mage through Kunark and I still laugh.

You just have to tweak your tactics 50+. You can't tank and spank with a focused fire pet like you did all through classic.

The tactic is relatively the same, but pet chaining is still > necro efficiency and speed, period. I've done both extensively and the mage is faster, and easier.

Necro is simply safer because of the escape mechanics of FD.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned

not quite sure what world you live on, Finawin, but i'd love to join you! it seems a magical place with wondrous plains and beautiful mountains!

mage pets just aren't the same in kunark as they are in classic. The DPS, iirc, was decent (pet DPS), the nukes on the other hand are weaker and don't match up with wizzies as well as they do in classic. The pets can't quite take the hits that kunark mobs dish out, even the earth pet. because the mobs hit harder and have more hp than your pets can handle, you're ultimately you're left with no other option but to chaincast your pet if you plan to solo, which despite what finawin thinks, is nowhere near as efficient as a necro. they still make excellent group DPS and will always be the best class to farm lower lvl dungeons with, thus a great moneymaker as well.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Kobold

How do mages do in velous? Chain casting pets doesn't sound like fun, but if it's only for soloing, I guess it's not too bad.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Large Bat

im with skope on the mage vs nec solo ability. but i am still at a toss up between the two for which to play. part of me see's a chance to finally... finally... get the mage epic that i always wanted [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

how are mages/necros accepted group-wise on this server? are there too many bad ones that people consider their pets liabilities in dungeons?
Old 04-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Finawin

Watch how long and how much mana it takes a necro to kite Allizewsaur and how fast and how much mana it takes a mage to do the same.

I will gladly show you how shit is done when the time comes in Kunark. (Assuming I bother playing my Mage as much as my Paladin or Cleric by then)
Old 04-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganhxh [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
how are mages/necros accepted group-wise on this server? are there too many bad ones that people consider their pets liabilities in dungeons?
group-wise they're awesome. both have fantastic DPS in classic (arguably highest DPS). Pick what you want, but as a fair warning you must realize that your mage will not be played at all come high end velious, unless you get off on mod rod duty. Necros, on the other hand, have the highest DPS in the game by that point (probably earlier). the mage is by far the easiest to level on p99 and still is the prime choice for a first character if you're deciding on leveling an alt/melee and twinking to get it as high as possible before kunark comes out.

it's a matter of what you want. if you plan on leveling fast and putting the char on the backburner while your alt takes the stage, then mage is the best first class for you. if you want a bit more fun/utility then necro is great [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] chanters are awesome as well, probably the best "pocket" class to have, surpassing druids. let somebody else port ;P
Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
group-wise they're awesome. both have fantastic DPS in classic (arguably highest DPS). Pick what you want, but as a fair warning you must realize that your mage will not be played at all come high end velious, unless you get off on mod rod duty. Necros, on the other hand, have the highest DPS in the game by that point (probably earlier). the mage is by far the easiest to level on p99 and still is the prime choice for a first character if you're deciding on leveling an alt/melee and twinking to get it as high as possible before kunark comes out.

it's a matter of what you want. if you plan on leveling fast and putting the char on the backburner while your alt takes the stage, then mage is the best first class for you. if you want a bit more fun/utility then necro is great [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] chanters are awesome as well, probably the best "pocket" class to have, surpassing druids. let somebody else port ;P
Finawin, perhaps you don't get it, so let me reiterate. I never stated mages stink in classic. in fact i know they're the closest thing to an OP class p99 has atm. They're fantastic at making money, by far the easiest to level, and you don't even have to buy them any gear other than a torch and shovel. but when kunark comes out this necro will be camping some of the best loot in the game in the depths of sebilis with maybe an AoE wizzy group and a few shaman, whereas your mage will be chain-casting pets trying to down dino. Finawin, the point is the mage bandwagon will not take you for a lengthy ride so enjoy it while it lasts.
Closed Thread