Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Sarnak

Default Monk Race/Twinkage...

So, in my never ending quest to experience pretty much every class that I want before choosing which I'm going to roll with... (I'm currently leveling my druid, who I REALLY think is going to be my money making character)...

I've decided that I do want to play a monk at some point. For craps and giggles I rolled one on Live (silver membership) to play while I have med time on p99. Went Froglok. LOVED it. I played EQ in 99 and monk is one of the classes I never really experienced.

I realize things like stone throw and elbow strike aren't in the p99 version of the game, but still, monks are pretty fun.

So, my question is a tired one that's been asked... But I think I'm asking from a somewhat different angle...

What race should I make?

Let me explain why I'm coming at this from a different angle:

Iksar is obviously the better overall choice. AC bonus and regen plus forage is pretty awesome for a monk. The strike animations don't bother me much. The problem with the iksar is accessibility... I can't really leave the region because I need to train my skills in Cabilis (though the same can be said for human needing to train in Qeynos/Freeport only). I'd be KoS virtually everywhere on the iksar as well. And, for twinking purposes, getting items to Field of Bone is a much larger hassle than Qeynos or Freeport. And of course, the xp penalty.

So, to all of you monks out there... Is all of the hassle worth rolling an iksar? Humans are definitely more boring and less optimal, but it seems that the ease of travel, lack of town restrictions and the lesser xp penalty are a major bonus to going human.

As far as the second part of my question is concerned:

For twinking purposes, I was thinking about getting a FBSS (it'll be awhile before I can afford one) and maybe a couple of Wu's staves and then just letting my character acquire the rest of the items on his own. Anyone tried anything similar?
Old 06-17-2015, 08:32 AM
Sarnak

Ya. I played a druid to twink a monk. You literally listed all the info about monk race's needed to make an informed choice. It doesn't look like you are missing anything.

For what it is worth. I wish I had made my monk an iksar. On a high enough lvl druid, (with eggress) I can make it to cabalis and qeynos in about the same amount of time. That regen is no joke. My human monk got a fungi at 55, but if he were an iksar it would be like wearing 2.5 fungi's.

Use Wu's sticks or fighting batons till 20 then WQS young grasshopper. And fbss day 1 if you can afford it.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Sarnak

Also, you may be able to train at brother z / brother q in karana and rather mountains. Not 100% sure if Iksars can do this, but I would guess they can with some combination of fd and sneak.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:56 AM
Planar Protector

If you can give your twink a fungi then the iksar regen is negligible and you'll probably level faster as a human, at least until 50. If you can't afford fungi then you'll probably miss the iksar regen.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you can give your twink a fungi then the iksar regen is negligible and you'll probably level faster as a human, at least until 50. If you can't afford fungi then you'll probably miss the iksar regen.
Even if I could give him a fungi, wouldn't the fungi + iksar = domination to the point that the xp penalty was negligible?

I don't know... The xp penalty is a MAJOR hurdle to playing an iksar monk. Even when Velious removes the class ones, race ones are still in effect, right? Glad I have some time to think about this...
Last edited by Deckk; 06-17-2015 at 09:30 AM..
Old 06-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So, in my never ending quest to experience pretty much every class that I want before choosing which I'm going to roll with... (I'm currently leveling my druid, who I REALLY think is going to be my money making character)...

I've decided that I do want to play a monk at some point. For craps and giggles I rolled one on Live (silver membership) to play while I have med time on p99. Went Froglok. LOVED it. I played EQ in 99 and monk is one of the classes I never really experienced.

I realize things like stone throw and elbow strike aren't in the p99 version of the game, but still, monks are pretty fun.

So, my question is a tired one that's been asked... But I think I'm asking from a somewhat different angle...

What race should I make?

Let me explain why I'm coming at this from a different angle:

Iksar is obviously the better overall choice. AC bonus and regen plus forage is pretty awesome for a monk. The strike animations don't bother me much. The problem with the iksar is accessibility... I can't really leave the region because I need to train my skills in Cabilis (though the same can be said for human needing to train in Qeynos/Freeport only). I'd be KoS virtually everywhere on the iksar as well. And, for twinking purposes, getting items to Field of Bone is a much larger hassle than Qeynos or Freeport. And of course, the xp penalty.

So, to all of you monks out there... Is all of the hassle worth rolling an iksar? Humans are definitely more boring and less optimal, but it seems that the ease of travel, lack of town restrictions and the lesser xp penalty are a major bonus to going human.

As far as the second part of my question is concerned:

For twinking purposes, I was thinking about getting a FBSS (it'll be awhile before I can afford one) and maybe a couple of Wu's staves and then just letting my character acquire the rest of the items on his own. Anyone tried anything similar?
Hi, iksar are better ofc.
i would do iksar for main (ac+regen+cool) and human for alter (better exp).
FD+sneak+hide > kos.

When i started to play my iksar monk i took him to cb at lvl 5. to get new skills i just ask someone for /duel then rezz =)
Old 06-17-2015, 09:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even if I could give him a fungi, wouldn't the fungi + iksar = domination to the point that the xp penalty was negligible?
Not really, as standing regen is i think +1 until 50, so human monk is 16/hp a tick and iksar 17/hp a tick standing. If you're leveling with a fungi as monk (at least until around 40) and have to sit and rest, you're doing it wrong. I got 1-45 on my monk in roughly 45 hours playtime, no pl no bonus xp.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not really, as standing regen is i think +1 until 50, so human monk is 16/hp a tick and iksar 17/hp a tick standing. If you're leveling with a fungi as monk (at least until around 40) and have to sit and rest, you're doing it wrong. I got 1-45 on my monk in roughly 45 hours playtime, no pl no bonus xp.
Interesting. The fungi won't be likely for me... Even with leveling a druid cash cow. Is the iksar regen close to the human + fungi regen? (forgive me for my ignorance).

EDIT: Looked it up... Fungi tunic is +15 hp regen/tick.

That's absurd for either race. It gets more absurd for iksar at 51...

51 Iksar monk without Fungi = 6 standing
51 Iksar monk with Fungi = 21 standing
51 Human monk without Fungi = 2 standing
51 human monk with Fungi = 17 standing
Last edited by Deckk; 06-17-2015 at 09:48 AM..
Old 06-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Interesting. The fungi won't be likely for me... Even with leveling a druid cash cow. Is the iksar regen close to the human + fungi regen? (forgive me for my ignorance).
Fungi adds +15hp/tick regen,on the following page is the chart for iksar/troll v. noniksar regen rates.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Iksar
Old 06-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

It's pretty easy to get around the faction issue for Iksar, especially as a monk (sneak).

Iksar can bank in the Qeynos sewers and sell with sneak. Once you get sneak you can sell to any vendor (assuming no guards preventing you). There are also neutral vendors in tons of zones including East Commons, West Freeport, South Ro, North Karana, South Karana, Highpass Keep, Rathe Mountains, Lake Rathetear.

Additionally, you can become non KoS in Neriak to the guards and vendors very easily via the redwine quest. Just take an inventory full of red wine and ask for an invis in Nektulos get to the npc, sneak, take off invis and then start turning them in.

One you get Neriak faction you can use a cloudy potion to train skills in Freeport. Ask for an invis in WFP, run behind the trainer on the second floor, sneak, train, and then use the cloudy potion to escape. It costs about 10p to do it this way.

That being said, IMO, the biggest not to choose an iksar (or any class) is how they will look in armor. Personally I think humans look way better in leather armor. Flying kick animation looks slightly better on Iksar, but the FK on Human isn't terrible either. I think the robe graphic looks the best on human female. That's pretty important since you will probably be spending a lot of your time wearing a robe. Attack animations look equal to me on both races.
Last edited by jolanar; 06-17-2015 at 10:03 AM..
Closed Thread