Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 11-04-2022, 02:55 PM
Banned

running to firepots on my late 20s wiz invis seeing epic druids (lol) quad kiting raptors was one of the first epic things i remember doing and then staff of the wheel quest

i just remembered i had a babby iks nec and was blown away by the swaying trees in warslik woods, exploring the gorge with the huge iksar statues by the bridge was memorable at low levels
Last edited by Chortles Snortles; 11-04-2022 at 02:58 PM..
Old 11-04-2022, 03:07 PM
Banned

I see u had a fast computer.

Butt yeah those trees where fricken cool.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:40 PM
Banned

I remember the kunark trees being controversial when kunark first dropped, because people thought they were responsible for the lower framerates in kunark zones rather than just the increase in polygon counts overall. The devs had to repeatedly explain that the swaying branches have next to no impact on framerate, because angry nerds were demanding an option to disable the sway.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:50 PM
Planar Protector

The kunark trees friggen suck!

that was like, I was like WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA??!

i rmeember people gas lighting me saying "its a wild continent, overgrown thats why you cant see shit and your framerate is 1 per second"

not becuase these trees are like really ugly giant pieces of poop

always was and always will be an angry nerd and proud
Old 11-04-2022, 03:53 PM
Banned

I was in high school. All of us played Tribes and Starcraft together online. One day one of our friends got a game called EverQuest, and he made this big deal out of it, he literally pre-ordered it, and I didn't even know what it was. Once he got it, he wasn't in school for a week afterwards.

He finally came back to school telling me how amazing this game was, so I spent the night at his house, and I remember being dumb-founded by how stupid this game looked. He's literally wandering around a swamp killing tadpoles repeatedly for hours on end, and I'm like, how can anyone actually think this is fun? Isn't the point of online games so you can play with other people???

He ends up passing out, and I get on his computer and decide to give it a try. I get to the character selection screen, and I've never even heard of a "Dark Elf" or 90% of the races it listed. I finally decide I'm going to be a gnome, I don't even remember why, but then the classes confused me.

Like what the hell is a Cleric? What the hell is a Druid? I don't really remember what happened, but I basically got addicted. Within 2-3 months every kid who rode my school bus was playing the game. It really was the Fortnite of our day, for those of us who were fortunate enough to own PCs capable of gaming, and who had parents who were cool enough to let us use their credit cards to play (using your credit card online was still taboo back then).
Old 11-04-2022, 03:56 PM
Planar Protector

Tribes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-04-2022, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The kunark trees friggen suck!
Haha I admit sometimes they are annoying as shit, like in burning wood trying to find the god damn DL zoneline. Still though the first time I got to emerald jungle (from fob) looking out over the canopy from up on top of the cliff area was pretty god damn cool. And the enormous horrifying mosquito mobs just.. fuck man I wish I had a time machine.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:00 PM
Banned

i too spent those first FULL days (maybe weeks) getting owned by wasps in gfay wondering why the hell are all my friends playing this ish

probably clicked when i saw kelethin and crushbone
Old 11-04-2022, 05:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Haha I admit sometimes they are annoying as shit, like in burning wood trying to find the god damn DL zoneline.
I like when folks lay corpses lined up to it for when they pulling ixi and slowing it tho [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-04-2022, 06:37 PM
Sarnak

worked and hang out most of the time in an internet cafe / games store. was 13 or 14 at the time. could use the pc´s and internet from time to time. all were playing starsiege tribes and starcraft. several dudes did played eq. i was watching and got hooked. was allowed to use an account from a pal. made a dwarf war. got killed by goblins. deleted that char. got my own account and made a mage gnome . leveld up to max level and played until pop. sold my char for big money. worst thing to do . still miss him . one of the best feelings was getting my jboots in sro. i jumped out of joy . great memories. learned english as a second language by eq.