Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 06:20 AM
Kobold

Default bard needs worn haste items?

Do Bards need FBSS? Does that worn haste help our songs to be more effective?
Old 02-03-2020, 06:31 AM
Fire Giant

so i found haste to be useful when grouping in my 20s and 30s bc you'll end up tanking half the time. i was convinced by a smarter bard to sell my fbss after that. you don't melee as often once you get higher up in level in both solo/group

the Salt King <Ironborn>
Old 02-03-2020, 06:33 AM
Kobold

so worn haste items has ZERO effects on songs? in blue, i see some high lvl bards wear Cloak of flames lol
Old 02-03-2020, 06:47 AM
Fire Giant

just makes you swing faster. worn haste + song/spell haste stack.

the Salt King <Ironborn>
Old 02-03-2020, 08:47 AM
Large Rat

Haste items indeed have no effect on songs themselves, if you've heard/read about stacking in that context, it was likely referreing to the haste itself stacking (1 item+1song/spell+bard overhaste come Velious).

As Supermonk found, once you reach the 30s, haste items lose their appeal as a bard, since lack of double attack means your melee damage is very subpar. Couple that was the fact that you by then have the ability to use 3 dots, regen and slow/snare with instruments to double the damage of the dots, and it's no contest.

Bards are the one melee class that never needs to worry about having a haste item, not even for tanking (some songs generate more aggro than any other spell you can mention), meaning you can skip the no AC FBSS for a more tanky belt. Part of the appeal for me not needing a heavily contested class of item.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:20 PM
Planar Protector

Until you get epic.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgic99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so worn haste items has ZERO effects on songs?
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgic99 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
in blue, i see some high lvl bards wear Cloak of flames lol
Haste is not useless. CoF has good dex, good HP, decent resist, and 36% haste. If the bard has an epic, they will melee to proc the song. Also, higher end haste items are relatively cheap on Blue.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:55 PM
Planar Protector

I wouldn't make worn haste a priority, bard dps gets worse into the 40s/50s versus what a rogue/monk/ranger is putting out.

Definitely a good point on the epic though, if it helps proc it - at that point it becomes worth it <3
Old 02-05-2020, 03:53 AM
Planar Protector

The Dex on a CoF will help you proc, but increased swing rate doesn't affect proc rate. Proc rates are a constant per unit time. All you have to do is be swinging at all.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:47 PM
Planar Protector

Definitely doesn't help with songs.

Of all the melee classes (if you include bard in that category) bard benefits from haste the least. bard melee dps is poopy...multiplying poopy by haste is still poopy...but it is better poopy.

The stats on CoF are really good regardless of haste...so it is still one of best items in slot for bard. for its cost and rarity, especially in classic vanilla, it would be hard justifying giving it to bard...but not totally useless.

Bard can honestly be played naked as long as you have your instruments and know what you are doing...so most gear is of less utility to them compared to totally gear dependent melee classes.

It sounds suspiciously like you are asking if the bard in your group that rolled need on a FBSS is full of shit...and he isn't. That camp offers little to bard for all the work and crap he has to put up with (assuming he is pulling and CC'ing) if he can't roll on the FBSS...so wholeheartedly he can roll need on it.

Also keep in mind that you will get your sky belt basically just for showing up when you get there.
Last edited by fastboy21; 02-17-2020 at 11:51 PM..
Closed Thread