Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Banned

(yes i will be masturbating to this when it is release)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:47 PM
Kobold

I hope there is plenty of violence, sex, and explosions. My tiny brain cant handle complexity or using my think muscles. Scary stuff. It's why I eat up GOT and stsy away from the books.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisonzabi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hope there is plenty of violence, sex, and explosions. My tiny brain cant handle complexity or using my think muscles. Scary stuff. It's why I eat up GOT and stsy away from the books.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night."
Old 06-08-2018, 03:39 AM
Fire Giant

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cringe @ Hobbit criticism.

The source material ain't no LOTR. The Hobbit largely sucks for a screen adaptation. Jackson did an amazing job with the series.

Can't believe some losers in a basement have something to say about it. I guess they haven't read the book.
I personally believe the only worthy retelling of The Hobbit for the Big Screen is this one:

http://www.maple-films.com/downloads.html

This is , from all the fanedits, the one more close to the source material, removing some , to my geekish soul, atrocious extras brought by the original film trilogy.

I have read the original Hobbit book (have it on more than language to be honest) and been a Tolkien fan since childhood, the movie trilogy by itself was poorly done in some parts, added unnecessary clutter and weird backstories simply made out of thin air to please some random hollywood execs to try to focus the movie into a new venue of exploitation for the IP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Add to that the strange pace set in the films (the fanedits usually diverge mostly on the pacing, which is one of the most glaring flaws of the trilogy) and to top it off, some poorly done CGI on the Battle of the Five Armies that actually makes you cringe , specially when you compare it to the much more robust LotR Trilogy.

Yes, we can all agree to disagree, but not everyone pointing the flaws on the Hobbit Trilogy is a basement dweller with armchair general delusions.

It is a well known movie, and highly criticized due to its plethora of conflicts, mistakes and drama, nd to top it off, some of the worst fanservice.
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 06-08-2018, 03:45 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3r14k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That sentence was really less about criticism and more about cynicism and managing expectations, but I guess you can jump right to the basement insult if you want. I actually enjoyed the Hobbit trilogy but I don't think it needed to be 3x movies.

Another thing I found out was the budget on this beast. Amazon Prime(?) is trying to set this show up to be the next big fantasy series, at least in terms of financial backing.

It seems like there is a ton of potential for them to focus on shorter stories like this and really encourage worldbuilding with a TV series. I think The Silmarillion in general was really intended as more of a tool from Tolkien to expand his universe than as a vessel for individual stories, but there is some great stuff to pull from in there for sure.
Though I usually reserve judgment for more finished products (hype being the first sign of a huge letdown) I would love if they make it into something true to the story and not GoT in Middle Earth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If they begin focusing on weird drama , multicolored characters with lame innuendo and strange betrayals loosely tied to the story, then you will see they will try to emulate GoT, which is what I believe (sadly) they will try to aim for.

Time will tell though and I would love to be proven wrong.

The Silmarillion is indeed a reference book to give background to the Tolkien Legendarium, and if they manage to just tap into it it would be just amazing!

But again, I kinda feel like a Debbie Downer, like you I believe The Hobbit could have been shorted (have you seen the fan edits?) and perhaps they will try to make it more "commercial" for a broader audience.

Time will tell indeed[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
----------------------------------
[center]
Closed Thread