Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 01:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Who actually owns/uses an Amazon voice controlled product?
I use one for an alarm clock. I guess it also records my sex life in audio. SOmetimes it beeps or does the flashing lights to indicate it heard a keyword when we are talking about something with gravitas. I think it's honestly trying to intimidate me. Anyway, I figure it's better to give them a window into my life so they can have proof I'm a defanged consumer, cuz of my history and relations.

But honestly, your android phone is recording every single word you say that can be transcribed to text, and sending the text home. I'm sure some of y'all have android phones. Who cares about alexa.
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 12-18-2020 at 01:51 AM..
Old 12-18-2020, 02:00 AM
Planar Protector

Amazon voice recognition is the best IMO.

Not saying much, but of the top 3 its the best.

Why yall worry about this type of like, hack scenario, 1 thread over same people talking about second coming of jesus lol I dont think someone getting onto my wifi matters anymore just saying.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:03 AM
Banned

The only real reason the penetration of our private lives matters is that it allows us to be studied collectively, monitor which memes and info campaigns are most successful, analyse the spread of experimental keyphrases etc. They don't care about u individually. There's now a whole entire data set of couples private bedtime talks about politics, for instance.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:04 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

i think theres two negative schools of thought, maybe three.

Supporting the beast can feel bad.

They are making more money off your data being freely given in the home then you paid for the product, I'm sure they don't mind giving them away. Why aren't we getting a cut of our personal info? They are reselling our personal data.

Privacy, it's abstract, but people are sucking in your audio/video from these devices 24/7. Is there some weird dude observing/listening the whole time? No, but I am sure they can if they want.

Security, I don't like more stuff connected to the internet beyond Phones and PCs in the event someone does tap into like security cameras or that sort of thing, just not feeling it.

I think I mostly fall in the bottom count, I prefer my cave to be semi secure.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:20 AM
Planar Protector

If I had indoor security cameras, id be a bit concerned thats fair.

But I keep all my indoor security cameras off networks anyway because cant have anyone finding those in the hotel rooms I manage at my road side motel.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:53 PM
Sarnak

I see people comparing this to Comcast but it's not the same thing.

Comcast claims that when other people leach your data it doesn't count against your cap. They can at least claim that since they're your ISP.

Any Amazon device that shares out your data is sharing something that they don't own. Something tells me that Amazon isn't paying you back for the data they're stealing from you and giving to other people.

Zipps - 51 HLF Druid <Castle>
Lykosor - 49 DE Necro <Castle>
Aspom - 12 HEF Ranger <Castle>
Slyng - 31 HEF Bard <Castle>
Flecrad - 21 DE Enchanter <Castle>
Lykos - 43 HIE Mage <Castle>
Ribkage - 17 GNM Boneknight <Castle>
Old 12-18-2020, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Id say its fair to say its not the same thing because anything comcast does doesnt work and everything amazon does is about a billion times over the head of anyone that works at comcast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-18-2020, 03:19 PM
Planar Protector

Who the hell has data caps? what is this? Canada?
Old 12-18-2020, 03:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiouskitten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only real reason the penetration of our private lives matters is that it allows us to be studied collectively, monitor which memes and info campaigns are most successful, analyse the spread of experimental keyphrases etc. They don't care about u individually. There's now a whole entire data set of couples private bedtime talks about politics, for instance.
Basically this, and it's cheaper and less legally liable to do this out of moscow and the ukraine then california, so god speed. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread