Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 03:48 AM
Skeleton

Default How do I solo as a shaman?

All i know in soloing as a shaman is root rotting, but that is only going so far. I would like to know if there are some ways of soloing with less down time.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:29 AM
Planar Protector

Depends on your level and gear. With Silver Chitin Hand Wraps and a Poison Wind Censor you can melee quite well until 40 or so. It saves a lot of mana on DoTs, which suck until your 40s. Low ratio, high mana cost, and good chance to be resisted. You end up saving more mana by healing yourself because it is unresistable. You just slow the mob and face tank it. Mobs levels 1-39 don't hit very hard.

Once you hit 45 you can use a Jaundiced Bone Bracer to mana free nuke mobs. It's harder to maintain root this way, but the free nuke will save you more mana than the self healing you may need to do while face tanking the mobs after root breaks. If I remember correctly, when I was soloing to 60 I would face tank mobs instead of rooting to save mana from rooting. Root just breaks too much with JBB. Do one mob at a time and root adds away from you when doing this method. You can also use your pet to tank for you if you let it build up agro first. That saves some mana as well, because your pet regenerates health pretty fast, so you might as well use his HP bar as an additional resource.

If you need to make money, solo guards until 55. You can start doing halfling guards in misty thicket at 25. You will easily get enough money to buy at least a JBB, a Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate, and a Fungi Staff. Those will save you a ton of time while soloing. Black Fur Boots pair well with the Fungi Staff, so get those too if you can. Black Dire is easy to do if you know a couple level 60 friends.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 04-27-2021 at 10:52 AM..
Old 04-27-2021, 11:56 AM
Planar Protector

There are seven different Shaman guides in the wiki; check them out! https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure#Shaman

But, just as a quick summary, I see the following methods of Shaman soloing:
  • shaman tank
  • pet tank
  • root/rot

There's also some very niche ways. For instance, some stuff you can nuke down (though it's almost certainly less efficient), some Shaman can get fear items (and so can kinda/sorta fear kite), and every Shaman can charm animals for charm fighting ... very briefly.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-27-2021 at 11:59 AM..
Old 04-27-2021, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

Circa pop era on live I made many of my 34+ levels by casting as many disease/poison dots on an enemy, sending in pet with taunt off then run around until the target died.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 04-27-2021, 12:57 PM
Fire Giant

One of the few times I recommend using your BIG slows, your pet can tank just about anything with your current slow/level. Root is your main CC in which you can efficiently watch your pet scrap down these mobs one after the other with indefinite mana.

So in short pet, slow, root (only for cc), canni, regen & haste (for pet) should be the only spells cast in this simplistic solo setup.
Old 04-27-2021, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Circa pop era on live I made many of my 34+ levels by casting as many disease/poison dots on an enemy, sending in pet with taunt off then run around until the target died.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 07-18-2021, 08:42 AM
Kobold

My Shaman was strictly a melee type at first taking advantage of the drowsy spell but then at 14 I would root and nuke just to soften it up before going with drowsy and melee. This was vanilla at the time so my equipment and mana pool sucked. At 24 life changed a bit and I started to feel more like a shaman. Canni and regen were fantastic but that big new dot turned me into a root/rotter. You could try charming animals at 29 but I didn't. I didn't find a good spot for it at that time. At 34 it's a new ball game. You're officially a real shaman. At 34 i was fighting some mobs that were pretty tough for my level and I would send pet in and time slow to land just after the pet started so i would have to root the mob. I would dot the mob and wait for my pet to almost get killed before stepping in to melee. I was taking advantage of when pets would regain a lot of HP even in combat and I would step back if needed once the pet got some hp's back. Eventually the slow spells gets so powerful that i was just tanking everything and i still do at 55.

If your server is in Kunark then use a Poison Wind Censer from level 20 and on. Even when the area proc starts to go off keep using it. If you root your mob, slow it, dot it, melee tank and have your pet melee but without haste on and you'll easily out damage the pet for full experience. If you fight a giant you don't even have to root the mob. You can position yourself to avoid the proc damage for the whole fight with out moving. Against giants only, otherwise root and step back.
Last edited by Ananka; 07-18-2021 at 08:45 AM..
Old 07-18-2021, 08:50 AM
Kobold

Post 45-50 you need a clickee bracer or epic to avoid downtime as a shaman but I can't complain with canni and regen spells. Just don't expect to be soloing like druids/wizards with quads or enchanters charming.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaggoth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All i know in soloing as a shaman is root rotting, but that is only going so far. I would like to know if there are some ways of soloing with less down time.
Root Rotting is shaman's gameplay. That and canni dancing.
Be very careful with deaksilky advise, he's not a good shaman.

Early 1-50 you can melee to some extent depending on gear. This is partly due to a not classic bug on p99 that allows shamans to swing directly after casting. But 45-60 you're going to be root rotting or grouping.

Grouping is really the ultimate way to level a shaman. Iksar Monks are your new best friends. When you finally get to 60, you can duo with an iksar monk to start playing the spell lottery for torpor. https://wiki.project1999.com/Balers_...uo_Cliff_Golem

JBB BloodGills in LOIO 45-51, don't forget fish scales.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 07-18-2021 at 11:37 AM..
Old 07-18-2021, 12:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Root Rotting is shaman's gameplay. That and canni dancing.
Be very careful with deaksilky advise, he's not a good shaman.

Early 1-50 you can melee to some extent depending on gear. This is partly due to a not classic bug on p99 that allows shamans to swing directly after casting. But 45-60 you're going to be root rotting or grouping.

Grouping is really the ultimate way to level a shaman. Iksar Monks are your new best friends. When you finally get to 60, you can duo with an iksar monk to start playing the spell lottery for torpor. https://wiki.project1999.com/Balers_...uo_Cliff_Golem

JBB BloodGills in LOIO 45-51, don't forget fish scales.
Unfortunately Baler is unable to listen to other people, or change his opinion, even when he is proven wrong (at least not that I have seen). I would be more wary whenever Baler asserts his way is the right way.

This thread is about Shaman soloing, not Shaman grouping. Shamans could Melee well 1-50 even without the melee hit right after spell casting. This is because a Shaman's combat skills have the same cap as a warrior from levels 1-50. This means you hit as often as a primary melee class 1-50, unlike all other primary casters. Sure, you don't get double attack or the mainhand damage bonus, but you do get spell haste and STR buffs, which will offset this shortcoming at lower levels. Most warriors (unless they are gnome or massively twinked) will not have 50% haste solo at level 29. A Shaman at 29 With SCHW and Quickness has 52% haste, basically double what most reasonably geared melee classes would have.

I am also not sure why you seem to claim root rotting is all a Shaman does even at high levels, considering quite a few mobs are unrootable at high levels.

Finally, while Cliff Golems are fun, they are not the best source of income unless you get really lucky. I have killed quite a few Cliff Golems, and haven't seen a single spell drop, regardless of worth.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 07-18-2021 at 12:03 PM..
Closed Thread