Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Aviak

Default Which class for Dungeon Crawl focus?

To all of you veterans out there:

As I love to delve dungeon but my timezone is a little bit on the low(est) pop side on p99, I am looking for a class that I could take solo into dungeons and fight nameds in it.

Reading about it has left me with the shaman or enchanter for this but which of these classes is more capable in these regards and has the broadest possibility of dungeons to survive in?

(I would like to focus the advices just on this area, any leveling speed, leveling difficulty, equipment / spell costs etc. are not that important as I am in no rush with the char development.)
Old 11-08-2018, 11:46 AM
Banned

Shaman, Enchanter, Druid, Necro. All classes that could survive in a dungeon.. Shaman will be most expensive to gear up. The rest you can get by for pretty cheap. I'd say enchanter would be much more fun and awesome but would require a bit more attention to detail with all the charming and what not goin down.. Both enchanter and shaman will have a few expensive spells down the road. But prepare for some deaths when rolling enchanter!! Squishy little guys [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-08-2018, 11:52 AM
Aviak

When you say the Ench and Shamn are equally potent in a dungeon, does that mean that both will be able to pretty much defeat the same foes or camps down there?
Old 11-08-2018, 01:10 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgaar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When you say the Ench and Shamn are equally potent in a dungeon, does that mean that both will be able to pretty much defeat the same foes or camps down there?
Enchanters are much stronger than shamans solo until shamans get torpor (level 60 + 100k pp). Then it evens out and the shaman has a slight edge on soloing single very difficult enemies.

As far as "crawling" goes, an enchanter will have a much easier time getting to the camps, as they kill much much faster and have more tools to move through without aggro.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruptcy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanters are much stronger than shamans solo until shamans get torpor (level 60 + 100k pp). Then it evens out and the shaman has a slight edge on soloing single very difficult enemies.

As far as "crawling" goes, an enchanter will have a much easier time getting to the camps, as they kill much much faster and have more tools to move through without aggro.
Agreed. The enchanter has more tools for the crawl i'd say.. All the crow control stuff, would be wonderful, and you'd be able to keep chugging along with the charm pets. That Torpor spell is a big road block in my eyes.. For casual players.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

For your goal of being able to crawl through dungeons solo I think the best choice by far is enchanter. Also note that EQ dungeons are not meant for solo play, so you will definitely die some if you really want to focus on soloing.

I have a lvl 60 shaman, and shamans can solo some things that enchanters cannot, but shaman is only stronger toe to toe with a single mob and even then that is really only true at lvl 60. If you want an alternative to an enchanter for leveling solo in dungeons my 2nd choice would actually be necro as the undead charms and lulls make them powerful in undead dungeons and FD is an extremely valuable utility in dungeons that enchanters do not have.

Enchanters are very good at dealing with situations with multiple mobs. You get lull line of spells to allow you to pull one mob out of a group. You get mez line to deal with adds. You get charm to kill mobs quickly and to kill 2 mobs at the same time.

Enchanters are not super gear dependant, but given your desired playstyle is dangerous +hp gear will be very helpful to give you a buffer when things go wrong. The most valuable utility item you could have is goblin ghazugi ring, which can be used to break charm on command without using a spell slot. wooly spider nets are also useful as they are rechargable and instant click "oh shit!" item to instantly root a mob in a bad situation. Keep in mind that you will want to use alot of the coin you earn to buy jaspers then peridots to keep runeing yourself to prevent death on charm breaks and lull critical resists.

I can tell you enchanters are fun and very powerful, but also very fragile. Sometimes you will feel unstoppable soloing camps that full groups sometimes wipe in, but one mistake or a bit of bad luck can just kill you. There is a learning curve: start practicing charm soloing early to get a feel for and maybe start in an outdoor zone with sow to get the feel for it. As important as anything else is just getting comfortable with the class so that you are calm when rng doesn't go your way and can react quickly and appropriately to the situation.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:28 PM
Planar Protector

Enc is obvious choice for dungeons & named. But if you want to be different, I'd suggest bard. With the combination of a fungi, dots, and charm, no other class can level as fast in a dungeon setting to lvl 50. I've leveled exclusively in dungeons, and I plan to take it all the way to 60. I'll have downtime 50+ with charm costing mana, but it's been a blast testing the limits.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:45 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enc is obvious choice for dungeons & named. But if you want to be different, I'd suggest bard. With the combination of a fungi, dots, and charm, no other class can level as fast in a dungeon setting to lvl 50. I've leveled exclusively in dungeons, and I plan to take it all the way to 60. I'll have downtime 50+ with charm costing mana, but it's been a blast testing the limits.
The real roadblock is summoning mobs. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeff100 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman, Enchanter, Druid, Necro.
Druids are pretty weak dungeon soloers compared to the others on that list. Only exception would be Kedge Keep where their animal charming really shines.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:06 PM
Aviak

If you are asking this question, chances are it’ll be a very long time before you get level 60 and 100k for torpor, let alone epic, fungi, jbb, which is the only way that the shaman becomes better at certain high end mobs. For the vast majority of 1-60, and especially for a broke person just starting out, enc will be the best soloer in dungeons.

My main is a necro, and it’s a lot of fun if you want more variety in your play style, in exchange for losing an edge at charming and having a harder time getting into high end groups.
Closed Thread