Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 03:18 AM
Planar Protector

Default A bunch of Paladin soloing questions - levels 52+

So I have a paladin twink I am trying to solo from 52 to 60, or at least as much as possible. I feel like at this point in the leveling process a lot of the nuances become more important for leveling efficiently, so any advice / feedback is much appreciated! Here are some of the questions I have...

How much of a difference does having a shield make? Both in terms of damage reduction, and the ability to bash. I'm gonna spend some DKP on tov weaps and I'm wondering if a shield / 1h combo is significantly better than all the nice 2h options that are there.

What zones / camps would you recommend as good leveling options along the way? Not interested in grouping so the hole is out, unless there are some camps in there to solo at.

Which lull do you use? The later ones obviously are not only more mana to cast, but they have a longer cast time and re-cast time. Do they have a higher chance of landing? My understanding is they don't have a better chance to land, just that they have better reduction radius and last longer. I've been sticking with calm over pacify since it is half the mana and i can cast and re-cast it faster. Very curious though if y'all go with pacify, or maybe even one of the lower level versions like soothe

What deepwater pieces are useful for their clickies? So far I picked up the gloves since i figure its great to have a mana free MR buff that is the same as the best one in my spell book. Greaves obviously are a str buff that we are unable to cast, but it seems like a lot of plat for 18 strength. Someone told me the BP can be used to heal, not just be a mana free buff...is that true? Are there any other DW pieces you find yourselves using?

Along the same lines, are there any quest armor clickies that are very useful?

Last question I have is a quick one lol, do y'all ever use spells from the yaulp buff line or the reckless strength buff line?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer any of the questions =)
Old 06-07-2021, 05:36 AM
Planar Protector

I'm more of a SK so I can't really help with some of these questions but here's some help/suggestions with some...

Soloing? Stay old world for as long as you can, most camps will turn light blue at 54 and doing those to 55 will take you nearly forever - until then though if you don't mind losing Freeport guard faction (East/West) I'd recommend the nobles camp in Highkeep on the 2nd floor. Respawns are quick enough, you can lull etc and they aren't connected to the wandering Isabella Cellus if your faction is okay with bards.

If you've got the plat I'd highly recommend the Deepwater BP, yes there is healing attached as a cleric would heal as he/she applies it to a group member - probably your biggest downtime minimizer.

Use your best DPS weapon whether its 1h or 2h. If it is 2h, keep a shield handy if you have casters - I never found bash to be that practical solo otherwise unless I was fear kiting (SK things).

Yaulp = +STR
STR = +atk rating
+atk rating = more dps (though probably not much more for a paladin)

Not sure if its worth it for paladins but rogues cap STR for max dps, run a parse if you're inclined and see if it's helping [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Also if you are soloing wherever you are, donate for buffs if there's passing druids/clerics/shamans/enchanters... anything to give a smoother session is a helper I think.
Last edited by Swish; 06-07-2021 at 05:38 AM..
Old 06-07-2021, 06:51 AM
Planar Protector

Generally, when you are lulling the biggest considerations are how close the mobs are to each other are and what the level difference is between you and the mobs. since a 50+ paladin will generally be trying to fight very low blues, you will often find that you can get away with using the weaker lulls like lull/soothe in many camps.

Shield really shouldn't be in your considerations as a paladin since you have fast casting stuns should you need to use them, making bash not a necessity. You're basically looking at the highest damage over time weapon you can find. assuming same damage over time, slower is generally better so you can more easily mix spells(and bashes) into melee without missing swings.

if you are on green you are probably out of luck on DW greaves or bp; if you are on blue it comes down to how much plat you want to spend. For soloing you should ideally get a least one of the free heal pieces (BP or helm) so you can root and then get free healing when needed, make sure to break line of sight if dealing with casters of course.

Yaulps just seem like a giant PITA and probably have minimal impact on your actual damage over time. using a two hander(which most likely will offer you best the damage) and swapping a shield in and out for bashing between swings will probably offer you a better DPS than yaulping and you aren't going to wan to do both..
Old 06-07-2021, 08:00 AM
Fire Giant

Having recently Solo’d my Pally to 60 I feel like I have some pretty good insight on this. It will be faster than most people think and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

To answer your question on the shield, I would prioritize getting a Greatspear of Dawn or a Dawncaller with the Spear being better. It makes a huge difference once you start doing KC Basement/Turnkey. If you get Dawncaller I would still invest in a good ratio 2 hander like Rocksmasher. When I was weapon swapping between Dawncaller, Primal, and Rocksmasher I didn’t even bother using the shield. Would just try to proc Dawncaller then switch. Primal makes a huge difference with attack but not sure if that is something you were considering.

You absolutely have to have a Deepwater Bp if you want this to be efficient (DS Pots also). The 307 HP heal you can use out of combat with a mob rooted is huge. It’s also really key later when you get a Dawncall proc and can just step out and heal up while the dot is ticking.

At 52 I would do guards in Neriak 3rd gate. They are cleric mobs and Dark Blue even still at 54. The Cheal at 40% makes them pretty easy since you can just stun them and then keep hacking away. These are decent experience and you also get the benefit of maxing priests of life faction before you leave. The biggest thing though is you need to get to 54 where you get instill.

With instill you have a lot more flexibility in terms of camping our a bad pull. For me I only use either calm or pacify. Both have roughly the same Agro reduction with Paci being slightly better and calm being a lot less mana and lasting less than half the time. If I’m only lulling 1-2 mobs I’m going to save mana and use Calm. If it’s a bigger room with 5 mobs I like to use Paci. This way if I get one or two Paci and then get a crit I should be able to camp out with Paci still on the first few so I’m not starting the room over again. Also, if you are doing a lot of calming a Luminary 2 handed sword is a nice charisma buff.

I didn’t use the Reckless Strength or Yaulp line leveling. I felt like best use of mana was for Root which allowed me to heal up and keep fighting.

I have the greaves and the strength buff is nice since I’m a high elf. Probably wouldn’t matter for certain races depending on gear. Helm is nice to have for mana and regrant free heal. Bracer nice too for the stun on the clerics in 3rd gate. Overall though BP is king.

Leveling as best as I remember
52-54 Neriak 3rd Gate
54+ Lower Guk Magi plus Lord Hall
54-58? Mermaids in Kedge (solid plat drops and huge zem and never camped)
58-60 KC Basement/Turnkey
55+ Random Velks spiders when you get burnt out elsewhere

Think this answered all of it. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2021, 08:05 AM
Sarnak

Burning woods near Chardok entrance is a safe place not far, can pull singles root when get low heal back up.
Do this until 56
Then seafurys after that , yeah I know they suck , but hey your soloing it sucks as a melee anyhow.
Can do those till actually 58-59 depending on your patients.

59 can be hard or easy , if you want easy wreck factions on city mobs qeynos barb guards , neriak troll-ogre arena

Hard isn’t really hard it’s just inside dungeons, stones, karnors , Seb and if you screw up usually zone lines aren’t near.

Hope this helps some !
Old 06-07-2021, 12:00 PM
Fire Giant

+1 for breastplate, hands down your most important clicky. Just recast the buff on yourself to heal, and keep a backpack full of jasper on you

Deepwater vambraces can save you a ton of mana (clicky soothe) since you'll mostly be fighting low cons. Unless I need extra radius reduction or the cast would be too long, that's what I use. Also pick up the bracer, having a spammable stun is useful in a lot of situations.
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Old 06-07-2021, 05:27 PM
Planar Protector

Solo at undead tower basement in the hole, once fallen erudites are blue cons. The trouble is, getting down there can be a pain and there's a limited number of spawns, plus ghosts of glohnor can spawn in their place which are slightly tougher. All of the undead down there can and will flee at low health. Have root ready, especially after the first clear. Other old world zones are good as well but, just like the hole, the dungeons can take considerable effort when wanting to reach a desired camp.; sometimes it's better to settle for a zoneline and pull to there.

Use soothe from vambraces or calm normally, pacify when retrieving corpses / moving through narrow passageways in Sol B and the like, because the mobs can just about path over you and not aggro.

DW gauntlets are great when raiding in ToV to strip Thunderblast, just make sure to keep that first buff slot empty so the rebuff isn't buried and target yourself (group members can get dispelled if targeted). DW helm is standard for solo. DW BP is an upgrade to the helm, healing in larger bursts at the cost of one jasper each click. Greaves are decent all around, plus the str click can add a little color to an otherwise bland spellbook but, considering the price, they're more of a luxury item imo; better off low bidding for them at VS kills. Similar to BE gauntlets, the DW bracer is reliable aggro if you're having mana issues in group, but it can get tedious repeatedly clicking with your back against a wall.

Yaulp IV is perfect after getting rezzed because it costs virtually no mana and allows you to move after looting your corpse. Yaulp is also decent when farming green cons, just to put out a little extra melee damage.

Since you're soloing, you will be better off jousting most of the time with root, so use 2h weapons for more damage output overall. Reserve 1h and shield when engaging casters if they're particularly resistant to stuns. Bash isn't exactly reliable, but it's instantaneous and can't be resisted. Also, whenever there's enough room, pivot around to the back of the mob while it's casting and then bash.
Last edited by Ennewi; 06-07-2021 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Autocorrect...
Old 06-07-2021, 09:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DW gauntlets are great when raiding in ToV to strip Thunderblast, just make sure to keep that first buff slot empty so the debuff isn't buried and target yourself (group members can get dispelled if targeted).
Autocorrect fail. Also, having a midnight mallet bagged helps in case there's an add and root keeps breaking. The benefits are more noticeable for SKs, but it's still useful to keep on paladins when going solo.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Skeleton

As a solo Paladin who just hit 50 I am also looking for advice on continuing to 60. I am not against grouping it is just nearly impossible to find them so I just plan to keep on soloing. My gear is not good at all and there is no way I will ever be able to get either of the weapons that proc Dawncall so I was hoping there would be more replies suggesting other good spots to solo for someone with average at best gear. It hasnt been easy and has been a slow grind (years and years) to get to 50 but I do have DW helm now so that helps..I just hit 50 soloing the Geos in CC but want to move on to a new spot. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 06-08-2021, 04:55 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvoe1 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a solo Paladin who just hit 50 I am also looking for advice on continuing to 60. I am not against grouping it is just nearly impossible to find them so I just plan to keep on soloing. My gear is not good at all and there is no way I will ever be able to get either of the weapons that proc Dawncall so I was hoping there would be more replies suggesting other good spots to solo for someone with average at best gear. It hasnt been easy and has been a slow grind (years and years) to get to 50 but I do have DW helm now so that helps..I just hit 50 soloing the Geos in CC but want to move on to a new spot. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
The spots I suggested above are all doable without high end gear they are just slower. I did the Neriak Guards with a Reaver and you should be able to do them with any decent 2 hander. There will be a bit more downtime with the helm healing versus a BP but it should still be doable. If they are too hard at 50 you can come back at 52 and they should be no problem. Good luck!
Closed Thread