Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 05:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It is strange how equipping a shield does little in terms of increasing damage mitigation. I remember Kelendil doing all the with/without shield calculations.

Surely it was not like this on live or just an oversight?
What level are you talking about? By my own investigations it seems it is trivial to max out mitigation in Karnor's Castle with velious out (even a ranger can do it!). That said, in HoT and against Dain adding worn AC beyond the hardcap still improves mitigation (unclassic), shields work especially well here.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:09 AM
Kobold

Moving clarity to wizards doesn't really fix them. I think it'd be fair to give them exclusive access to spell crits, given their narrow focus, but all they really need is an adjustment to their DPM. This could be done by either addressing the cost of their spells or adding mana-free damage sources.
@EndorraFeyborne Discord
Old 11-22-2017, 08:11 AM
Skeleton

Wizards were always like cheetahs in my mind... amazingly powerful but only for short amounts of time. The biggest problem with playing a wizard is that you have to meditate for so long, and your spells drain mana very quickly.

My simple solution to make them more bearable to play is to give them 1.5 times more mana regeneration, and if I was developing this game back in the day, I'd have put "magic locks" on certain doors that can only be blasted off by a wizard to give them some dungeoun utility.

Warrior I would give them the ability to push mobs back with a big shove, kind of like gravity flux, but not quite as powerful. Not sure if it would fix anything, but I always thought that since you can bash, you should be able to shove as well.

If I was developing the game back in the day I'd have made one other simple change to throwing... Warriors can throw big weapons like spears/swords/axes and do significant damage if they hit, but it would have a fairly short range. Rogues should be able to throw knives moderately accurately and for moderate damage and at medium distances, but have the ability to make some really nasty poisons to apply to their blades, and the poisons always work instead of proccing randomly. Monks, being the simple yet masterful creatures that they are don't do much damage with their throws, but their throws almost always land and they can throw farther than the other classes, except for a ranger with a good bow, who can "throw" his arrows the farthest of all.

Speaking of Rangers, the only thing I'd do is make him a master of fletching right off the bat so he can make all his own archery supplies without sinking hundreds or thousands of plat into learning it from scratch.

Paladins should get a pet of some kind. Maybe something unique that doesn't do any damage to the mobs, but instead focuses on the group and issues out small heals and buffs, and if the group needs to run away it stays behind to sacrifice itself using a one-shot area-aggro spell that will take all the mobs in the vicinity and make them focus on the pet so the group can sprint for the zoneline or gate out.

Shadowknights I'd basically keep them the same as they are now, but I'd shift all their spells up one notch, so instead of getting lvl 1 necro spells at lvl 9, you start out getting lvl 4 necro spells. Also I'd start their pets out with the ability to dual wield/bash/kick.

Rogue, this is a tough one... Maybe give them the ability to lay traps down for mobs... mob runs over trap and is either hurt or captured in place for a while as if it was rooted. One is a trap that deals direct damage, and the other is a trap that locks you in place.
I'm picturing an arrow trap or potion that sets them on fire (think molotov cocktail) for the direct damage, and a bear trap for a root and/or snare effect.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:40 AM
Sarnak

wizards are easy to fix, just remove all the weapons that sell in EC right now for more than 80platinum from the game.

Wizards were actually decent DPS in 1999 when people used minotaur axes and polished granite totems, and bone bladed claymores... and on top of that they ran out of stamina from melee attacks too.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:16 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What level are you talking about? By my own investigations it seems it is trivial to max out mitigation in Karnor's Castle with velious out (even a ranger can do it!). That said, in HoT and against Dain adding worn AC beyond the hardcap still improves mitigation (unclassic), shields work especially well here.
i think you are right about root tanking. Generally speaking, it does t make sense why a warrior would be able to taunt any intelligent foe to attack her over a priest or squishy class.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Sarnak

I forgot which later expansion offered this spell, but for wizards, perhaps a moderate quest to grant as a spell reward the little flying demon that offers various bonuses, including the chance to critical with spells. Have the spell available perhaps in the early to middle twenties so players serious enough to get to that level as a wizard can expand upon that class.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Orc

Default upgrades

being as p99 will prob never do classic reimained as it should have been whats everyones best hope for a new mmo that is good? Pantheon?
Honanmer - 5 or 6 cleric
Old 11-22-2017, 01:23 PM
Skeleton

First off, I think all the tank archetypes should be able to tank equally well in a group or raid setting. Each of these classes would be differentiated based on utilities other than tanking.

Paladin
This is a support tank. One thing I always thought would be cool was to give them auras. These would work mechanically similar to bard songs. So to cast any of your normal spells or use clickies you would need to cancel the aura first.

Shadow Knight
This is the debuffing tank. Give them a good slow. I think it works well with the theme of their class. This would open up a lot of grouping opportunities as you wouldn't necessarily need an exclusive slowing class.

Warriors
This is the DPS tank. Similar to how they are now. Could also give them more unique combat abilities (i.e. a charge ability or an attack that slows the movement speed of the target).
Old 11-22-2017, 01:44 PM
Kobold

I'd give Paladins the ability to "Heal Tank" like Paladin in Final Fantasy 11 could do.

Basically, you held aggro in FF11 by healing yourself. This worked perfectly for tanking as you'd expect, needing a group healer was less needed cause the Paladin could keep himself alive pretty easily, hate was easily managed since healing caused a good amount of hate in general in that game.

This would give them a vastly more "Paladin" feel than just casting Flash of Light over and over again.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Release Luclin and PoP. Fixes most class issues.

Also "ruins the fun for everyone else in the zone"... lol. Bards swarmed in the worst zones like Overthere and South Karana. They're terrible zones for standard play. Go to a dungeon instead and let Bards enjoy outdoor zones.
PoP breaks shaman. It's the first expansion where everyone eventually maxed their stats with gear. Shaman just became back up healer and main slower. This wasn't fixed until OOW when they got buffs that broke stat cap.
Closed Thread