Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2017, 06:13 PM
Large Rat

Default Druids and tanking

Back in the day my main was a druid. I got him to level 58. I had 7 other characters but the druid was my favorite. Back then someone in a guide said that by level 25 a druids tanking days were over and they are pure casters. Any mob worth descent experience would clean a druids clock in a toe to toe fight and I believed it. So I mostly did kiting and root/rotting. I like to solo.

But now I'm thinking that's not necessarily true. My druid is now level 25 and I'm playing in Lake of Ill Omen. There's a particular mob, a Goblin Soothsayer, that has been giving me a hard time. Root/rotting doesn't work with them because they also have nukes and dots. And debuffs and a root. I can take them down but it takes a lot out of me and recovery time is long. It's not very time efficient so I decided to leave them alone.

I was pulling a skeleton when I bumped into a Soothsayer. Well now I had 2 on me so I figured I should run. That Soothsayer followed me around the whole damn zone. Turns out he had SoW too. He rooted me before I could find a way out so I had to fight. I was surprised to find out that a combination of magic and wailing on him with my club was pretty effective. Even though my hit points and mana were down from the start it wasn't that hard to beat him. Not only that I gained a point in defense which means my AC went up by 1 point.

I checked my level cap and found I had 13 more defense points to gain, which means 13 more AC. So now I'm going to get into more knock down drag outs to bring up my defense. I kinda like the idea of having a tough druid. I don't think this will work with all mobs. I was probably successful because as a shaman the goblin was a little on the squishy side. Should probably stick to root/rotting with the warrior types.

What I was wondering is, will there be a time, at some higher level that this won't work any more? At some point in my 30's or 40's or what ever will I'll have to stop doing this. What do you guys think?