Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 02-08-2023, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

Smile Non-Kindle e-readers

Literature was my first love, and now I'm in a cool book (wine) club along with reading stuff on my own. I love my Kindles and I use them every day, but I'm also kind of disgusted with them. It's so gross that Amazon puts ads on them that you either pay or beg tech support to remove, and it's unhealthy that Amazon has such a chokehold on the market of digital publishing.

So I bought a new Onyx Boox Leaf 2, my first ever non-Kindle reader. I missed the delivery driver yesterday and now UPS wants me to pick it up from them which sucks, but I'm kinda excited.

What's awful of Amazon is that they have purposefully made the Kindle app for other devices slow and graphically unpleasant. They look alright on phones, but these e-paper Android devices make the page turn animation into something painful. So I'm sideloading a bunch of books on this new device when I get it.

anyway. what do you use, and are you happy with it?
Old 02-08-2023, 01:02 PM
Banned

I use physical books. I am usually happy with them. I try to avoid Amazon as much as I reasonably can.

Physical books can be dirty. I get them second-hand, usually through Thriftbooks since I try to avoid Amazon however I reasonably can. Sometimes they are nasty. I've found dead bugs in books and my wife claims she once got pinkeye from a library book.

I have used a regular Kindle. Back when I flew a lot for work I read the hell out of a lot of books on it. I also had the ads version.

My brother self-published through Amazon's service, and he made some decent money doing it, but he has complaints as well. So did this guy I used to work with, but he's only ever lost money doing it.

The fact that you can get a lot of older books for free for e-readers is nice, though. I remember being impressed with the fact that the simpler Kindles only needed to be charged once every three days or something, even if you read for hours each day. Until the battery aged, I still have that one and the battery doesn't hold much of a charge anymore.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

I'm a real page turner myself. Still have a library card in my wallet.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:41 PM
Planar Protector

I still use my REB1100. Getting books on it is a huge pain, and it can't handle more than 199 titles. Battery still lasts me about 2 weeks on a charge. The rubberized coating is turning back into oil, but a wipedown with wd40 every month or so keeps it from being sticky.

-Mcoy
Old 02-08-2023, 01:50 PM
Banned

I read Rich Dad Poor Dad and then I stopped reading books and started grindin
Old 02-08-2023, 02:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, the dude who wrote that book was in est. I didn't realize that. More damage done to society by another predatory self-help grifter.
Old 02-08-2023, 02:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basanos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, the dude who wrote that book was in est. I didn't realize that. More damage done to society by another predatory self-help grifter.
spoiler the strategies work no matter what country you live in in any economic model.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobaber [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
spoiler the strategies work no matter what country you live in in any economic model.
I am familiar with how cults work and how some of their organizing principles apply to things other than cults
Old 02-08-2023, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love the self-help genre!

That book seems very sketchy tho. I highly recommend How to Change by Katy Milkman, and Do Hard Things by Steve Magness (this one is written more for athletic types).
Old 02-08-2023, 05:24 PM
Planar Protector

haha lol