Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 09-27-2017, 09:17 PM
Aviak

Default Disconnect to logout time too long on aggro

According to this thread we had the following change on Feb 14, 2010:
  • Rogean: The infamous Error 1018 is making its return; Attempting to enter the server with an active character will no longer be possible until that character is removed from the world.
  • Rogean: Due to the above change, Linkdead characters will now be kicked after 30 seconds of no aggro, or 3 minutes on aggro.

Last night I was disconnected with a charmed pet and I was sitting at the character select screen waiting at least 4 minutes before I was able to log in. Presumably it took the server a minute or so to conclude I had gone LINKDEAD and then started the timer. Also, I am unsure if charm broke or if simply having a charmed pet will ensure that it takes 3 minutes instead of 30 seconds to log out.

At this point I don't have any evidence but from my memory this isn't a classic mechanic -- I used to kite on a druid in the karanas and in that era I'd get disconnected whenever someone picked up the phone (greeted by modem noises). It would probably take 20 or so seconds for an ensared mob to reach me and I would die sometimes but not usually, which makes me think that characters should disappear exactly 30 seconds after disconnecting regardless of aggro.

This affects me fairly often because I live in China, and get disconnected more often than those residing elsewhere. As such, a fair percentage of my deaths can be attributed directly to this timeout mechanic.

Finally, I remember this "30 seconds" number being in the FAQ sometime around the beta or original release; it was something like "Q: What happens if I get disconnected? A: Your character remains in-game for 30 seconds. This is to prevent exploits by disconnecting before you die."

I found these references, but they are from 2005:

Does anyone else remember how this worked originally? Does the current behavior seem correct?
Old 09-28-2017, 04:02 AM
Aviak

This should have said "I was sitting at the server select screen waiting at least 4 minutes", but I am unable to edit my original post.