Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 10-30-2022, 09:34 PM
Kobold

Dont (Solist) and Bayleigh were inspirations on Green when I was leveling my Cleric in classic.

They did a lot of crazy shit.

My Human Inny Cleric was not max CHA, and I never ended up needing it with my play style, but for those who prefer the duo/solo style of cleric, it makes a big difference.

Later on (Kunark+), I would say it's more irrelevant because it's trivial to carry a strong CHA set for when you need it. Those who already rolled max CHA for Classic weren't screwed, but it wasn't as relevant.

In regards to the chanter versus the cleric breaking camps... you're both right. I'd much rather send a cleric in with 2 DAs to break a room full of HT mobs and have the chanter peel them off with AE CC, etc. than risk a crit pull on the chanter and a lengthy rez/reset.

However for breaking non-HT rooms, the chanter is the no-brainer choice for most clerics. I would say that since Solist already had the CHA it just made more sense for them to jump into that role since they were comfortable with it, but it's definitely not "objectively the better way to do it" -- depends on your play style.
Old 10-31-2022, 06:21 AM
Fire Giant

The original intent of this thread was regarding CHA and halfling clerics, namely pairing sneak with lulls.

I remember a while back a halfling cleric helped my wizard get through Lower Guk to pull out the rod for the Staff of the Wheel from deep inside. He lulled a lot of things and helped me get through most of the mobs. The reason I considered going with a halfling cleric is that they seemed like they'd be able to travel seamlessly through a lot of places, which could be useful if, say, a group is deep inside a dungeon, needing a cleric, but unable to get to me to bring me over.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:33 AM
Planar Protector

With a decent CHA set you can lull walk blues with high success. Worst case unless you pull like 5 on a crit fail you have options. Root, atone, gate, PE/Pacify/camp or DA bomb to the zone.

I think it’s a bit worse on a pally without a blur or a long duration root which is why I’ve always had a serious lull kit in the bag.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:29 PM
Skeleton

Not that my opinion really matters much, but I resonate a lot with Dont/Solist on the majority of what some consider to be "hot" takes.

I do realize that it was also brought up that CC, breaking rooms, etc., should moreso fall on an Enchanter. During the Kunark leveling race I ended up playing with a friend of mine at the time that rolled a Gnome Enchanter, and in that situation, I had more CHA on my Cleric as a Human when we had to do corpse recoveries as I started with as many starting points into CHA as I could have. This decision actually saved us a lot of headache down the line as I had a much greater success when it came to successfully not critical resisting my lulls as compared to my partner.

Obviously everyone's playstyle is different and utilizing your entire toolkit isn't always necessary, but to neglect that it's there is honestly just pretty bad.

All that being said, this thread was about Halflings. It might hurt not having a bunch of CHA, but sneak in it's own right is a very valuable tool in some situations, especially so at end game. You trade being exceptional at one thing for having something that no one else has, which is honestly very fair. Overall, you'll be able to get plenty of CHA from gear in the long run, and for what you can't get, there are always buffs and potions.

-- Bayleigh
Old 11-14-2022, 01:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With a decent CHA set you can lull walk blues with high success. Worst case unless you pull like 5 on a crit fail you have options. Root, atone, gate, PE/Pacify/camp or DA bomb to the zone.

I think it’s a bit worse on a pally without a blur or a long duration root which is why I’ve always had a serious lull kit in the bag.
Rocking 210 buffed CHA on my paladood. Been splitting rats in hole with ease at level 54 for my trio.

Clerics and paladins really can't get enough CHA.
Old 11-14-2022, 02:46 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine how fun it is being group puller and healer simultaneously as 200CHA cleric with a mana-free Pacify. And then mama-free mark of Karn:
Last edited by zelld52; 11-14-2022 at 02:54 PM..
Old 11-15-2022, 10:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rocking 210 buffed CHA on my paladood. Been splitting rats in hole with ease at level 54 for my trio.

Yea a CHA set just expands your mobility and pulling ability. Usually if the stakes are low I just swap in a Jester crown, Crude Stein, and a couple overseer rings. Proc the Glamor sword and you are fairly functional stat wise. It’s nice to have more though, for trying to crawl to a group etc.

Worst case a crit resist puts like 4 spawns on the tank. Not a horrible outcome if your CC’s are there to help.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yea a CHA set just expands your mobility and pulling ability. Usually if the stakes are low I just swap in a Jester crown, Crude Stein, and a couple overseer rings. Proc the Glamor sword and you are fairly functional stat wise. It’s nice to have more though, for trying to crawl to a group etc.

Worst case a crit resist puts like 4 spawns on the tank. Not a horrible outcome if your CC’s are there to help.
The way I see it, you're just further mitigating the damage when that "oh fuck RNG" comes calling.

We've all been there. Crit resist happens at the exact same time charm breaks, your enc / cleric are caught snoozing an extra couple seconds, meanwhile you're getting romped on by 3-4 hard-hitting rats, oh and hey that roamer max level golem just popped and it ate your enc.

You get the idea. If everyone played perfectly all the time...ok sure crit resists aren't a big deal. Its just when bad RNG snowballs with player error into a serious problem that you'll thank yourself for having that CHA.
Last edited by Toxigen; 11-15-2022 at 11:59 AM..
Old 01-28-2023, 11:20 AM
Sarnak

You're going to want CHA.

I had a dwarf cleric on blue, and doing corpse runs with that sweet 50 cha sucked. Even when a bag of full Cha gear, it was brutal.

If you have it in your kit and utilizing it means you can do great things with it - do not neglect it.

Being a skilled player is mastery over all aspects of your class.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:34 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutelittlecow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not that my opinion really matters much, but I resonate a lot with Dont/Solist on the majority of what some consider to be "hot" takes.

I do realize that it was also brought up that CC, breaking rooms, etc., should moreso fall on an Enchanter. During the Kunark leveling race I ended up playing with a friend of mine at the time that rolled a Gnome Enchanter, and in that situation, I had more CHA on my Cleric as a Human when we had to do corpse recoveries as I started with as many starting points into CHA as I could have. This decision actually saved us a lot of headache down the line as I had a much greater success when it came to successfully not critical resisting my lulls as compared to my partner.

Obviously everyone's playstyle is different and utilizing your entire toolkit isn't always necessary, but to neglect that it's there is honestly just pretty bad.

All that being said, this thread was about Halflings. It might hurt not having a bunch of CHA, but sneak in it's own right is a very valuable tool in some situations, especially so at end game. You trade being exceptional at one thing for having something that no one else has, which is honestly very fair. Overall, you'll be able to get plenty of CHA from gear in the long run, and for what you can't get, there are always buffs and potions.

-- Bayleigh
The change in attitude towards cleric charisma is almost exclusively attributed to yourself, Falamin, Liia and myself on both servers. Was a massive amount of fun trying to chase you guys down on the way to 50 there and arguably the best p99 has ever been for me.

I think the most prudent point I agree with you is about using your toolkit. Any player using all their available tools creatively will run circles around someone in the best 'meta' not using their abilities. Suppose that's broader advice though and is true for many classes.

But circling back after re-reading some of this thread I'll double down. Max cha cleric is the best group cleric, and duo/trio cleric, and by far the best solo cleric possible. It is the worst raid cleric. Aside from duo with a warrior doing Xenovorash I can't see a reason to have max mana really. Having a class that can DA do room breaks, and leave an enchanter or other group members able to freecast while mobs do zero damage is very efficient. Healing is by far the least efficient thing a cleric can ever do of the common group roles.

Reducing mob DPS is not some crazy concept. Thats why you single pull with a monk/dru/ranger/bard, thats why you mez stuff with a bard/enc/nec, thats why you root/snare/whatever. It's all to reduce DPS. Doing so on a cleric is no different and frees up the actual dps classes to do their job in some situations while you manage singles. When you eliminate any instance of two mobs doing dps at once your healing load goes down significantly which sounds astonishingly simple but is somehow abstract in game for people playing clerics?

Then you become a raid cleric and outside of a ch neck/neck recharge/reaper doing your own chain for a full coth cycle you are the most boring class to play.