Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 11-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Orc

Default Instill Doubt (Intimidation)

There currently are several issues with this skill, first of all the minor ones. Instill doubt (Intimidation) should raise your skill by using it, as long as you have a target other than yourself, no matter what it is, how it cons, how far away or what position you were in (sitting or FD). The skill always rose very slowly so you would hit the button all the time whenever you traveled. On P99 it only rises when you're in melee combat with a con blue mob or higher, which is a real pain as you can't force to make it fail by using a special attack (see below).

The second and bigger issue is that Instill doubt doesn't work at all like it used to on live, it's actually quite a lot better here and probably is unbalanced in PvP situations.

How I see it currently work on P99:
Instill Doubt does a skill check instantly after hitting the key when in range of a mob. If the skill check is a success you do a regular resist check against fear and that's it. Basically ID is an instant cast fear that will nearly always work once you hit a certain skill level. A get out of jail free card you can use to just fear away a mob, bandage up and finish it, think about that in PvP.

How it used to work:
I need to do a bit of explaining to get the full scope of Instill Doubt down here. There are three conditions that need to be met for ID to work after the skill check.

Condition 1) First of all ID is a 'kick', while the skill button doesn't share the same timer as any monk special attack or backstab, if one of those skills aren't usable by the time the ID animation comes to an end (yes the ID kick is performed roughly 5 seconds after you hit the button, at the end of the animation) it will fail, as your kick timer is down you can't perform the ID kick. ID will also put your kicks / backstab into recycle mode.

Condition 2) The ID kick must hit for at least 1 point of damage, if it misses, gets dodged, parried, blocked, riposted or plain can't do damage because of non magical boots it fails.

Condition 3) This is the fear resist check. Needless to say if fear is resisted it fails.

Reference:
http://web.archive.org/web/200111090...?ArticleNum=76
Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Orc

Bump, this skill isn't working at all like it should be.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Kobold

I was going to make a topic about this, but I'm glad I decided to search first. This post has all the same information I was going to post, plus a better reference than my own. In any case, I'd like to add that Hakurou's post is 100% accurate, and I'll still add my own reference although the one in the OP is probably better.

http://www.thesafehouse.org/forums/s...ead.php?t=2851

P99:
Nubben, Level 16 Rogue
Old 08-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Sarnak

Yes, that's exactly right. It's not working properly. You nailed it though, I just never bothered to post it.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:21 PM
Banned

oOoOOOo
Old 08-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Planar Protector

Nailed it indeed.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:14 PM
Sarnak

bump, I still don't think instill doubt works like it did back in classic.. it's way too effective.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:26 PM
Fire Giant

u forgot iD effect is cancelled when u sit or fd .or should.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Project Manager

This was an old thread; unlocked due to age.

Bump.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:53 PM
Fire Giant

it was never as useful on live as it is here. that instant effect makes it much easier to strafe away, return and hit button.

also, i dont believe on live the fear had a snare effect like it does here. the mobs would run off at full speed. on here there is a noticable difference in run speed