Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's no point in hiding it since we're all newbies in one way or another, plus you get to talk to more strangers that way! Strangers who could potentially become friends! Or just helpful strangers!

My point is really that you don't need to be embarrassed about asking questions in public.
Agreed. People are stoked to talk about stuff especially to a new player. And they will likely toss you some gear and plat. Anytime I see someone just grinding naked in a zone that sucks like innothule I drop anything I have on them that's less than 1k value (which is gonna be almost all non top level gear come velious you greedy ec fukers).
Honestly when I started p99 I knew the game pretty well but just acted like I had no idea what was happening so I could get some assistance.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Don't forget to con what you are fighting, you may have attacked something to high for you. Even if in the newb area it could be a level 2 and wipe you dead quick if you are a naked fighter.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:28 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Don't forget to con what you are fighting, you may have attacked something to high for you. Even if in the newb area it could be a level 2 and wipe you dead quick if you are a naked fighter.
^ This.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/eq_consider.html
This is a (fairly) accurate consider list that you should use. You don't have to know the exact level of a mob, just around what level it is, to be safe. Target the mob you want to kill and hit 'c' to consider it (you can also right click). A message will pop up that looks like one from the list I have posted. The colors and the message are the 2 parts that make up a consider message and that you should pay attention to.

If you con a mob and it is red but says "judges you amiably" you do not have to worry because it will not attack you.
If you con a mob and it is green and says "scowls at you, ready to attack" you (probably) do not have to worry as it is much lower level than you.
If you con a mob and it is red and says "scowls at you, ready to attack" RUN! Because it is at least 3 levels higher than you and wants to eat your flesh.

As a human necro you will want to con just about everything. You may think that because you are a human that you can just roll into any "good" aligned city and be ok, not so much. Some NPCs will want you dead because you are a necro, and others will want you dead because of the religion you picked.

EQ is full of death, and it is usually yours. Have fun and I hope you keep at it!
Old 07-28-2015, 04:53 PM
Banned

Stop by your local Greengrocer today for a free slice of Birthday Cake to welcome you to our little slice of internet heaven.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Sarnak

The game gets easier as you get more comfortable with the basic mechanics.
First, learn how to write macros and make hot keys. This will save you a lot of typing and mouse movement.
Don't attack anything that cons Red or Yellow, they will most likely kill you.
And unless you are farming for quest gear or money, don't waste your time on Green cons, they give no xp. But being a Necro, you may have to spend some time farming green skellies for bone chips to make your pets. Also, as you become more skilled as a Necro, you may find that you can even solo yellow con mobs. Necros are the king of the solo artists. (Some may say Wizards are, but they know nothing.)
Use the p99 wiki! It will help you figure out when and where to buy your new spells and use the training points you get with each new level. If you haven't already, find your class guild master and hand in your note(you DO still have the note, don't you?). That is where you spend your traing points. Just double click on the GM to open the training window.
Just remember, right click opens everything you may ever want to see inside of or read.

I could go on and on, but it's a lot more fun for you to discover things for yourself.
Good luck! Have fun and stay safe! And kiss your real life, wife, kids, dog, job, goodbye.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQuick [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks everyone for your answers, I'm currently playing as a Human Necromacer called Taniniver and I'm finding the game really difficult at the moment.

Tried attacking a monster after learning my two starting spells and I ended up missing every attack I did with my dagger and spells, causing me to die [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make sure you consider a mob (target and press c, target and type /con or right click on it) to see it's level relative to yours. Avoid engaging anything that cons yellow or red.

You can train your piercing skill at your npc guild master. That should help you get past the first few levels to the point where you can rely on your spells. If you have to keep fighting and dieing, as at least this will raise your offence and defence to the point where you can actually fight and win.

Yes, EQ can be that harsh!

Once you saved up your first couple of gold and collected some bone chips I suggest getting a spell to summon a pet skeleton.

The first five levels are good fun; upgrades drop like candy (lots of rusty/worn weapons, spare bags, cloth armour). Even getting just these done will probably take you at least 5 hours though!
Closed Thread