Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:59 PM
Aviak

The team here is doing a great job.

Personally, I think Nilbog and the P99 team are more in-tune with what folks want out of a retro classic experience (slowly expanding, heavy focus per expanion) than Sony with their Progression servers.

edit: the point is: why move?
Old 05-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adramelk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The team here is doing a great job.

Personally, I think Nilbog and the P99 team are more in-tune with what folks want out of a retro classic experience (slowly expanding, heavy focus per expanion) than Sony with their Progression servers.

edit: the point is: why move?
Only value I see in live is live. Live is best at being live. Live can't make a better classic server than project1999 anyway because there's too much red tape preventing them from doing so. They could never get away with it. Players on live demand all of the latest stuff. If they're going to use the old zones in a meaningful way that can grab some old players, it'll be entirely new and hopefully exciting with little resemblance to 1999.

You know, I wish they'd reorganize the whole world. Live is so mixed up right now like a messy room, and things don't make sense most of the time. Defiant items obsoleted old content so there's no reason to use it. Old zones are low polygon versus new zones. Some quests use the task window and some don't. Quests in new zones are so much better than the ones in old zones. So many inconsistent traits that have accumulated over 10 years. It would need big changes. Maybe even throw out some of hte expansions. Throw out big additions like defiant armor. Make the homecities purposeful. Make pok an outpost as opposed to the main city. Reinvent the game. Make it fresh and new by comparison to what it is now. Allow people to move around freely on their own. Put travel in their hands (ex: bind in multiple places). Don't need corpse runs or hell levels. So much I could say but not enough room in this post. Take the best of what eq was in 1999 and the best of what eq is in 2010 and mix them together. Keep the eq of 2010-11, as we know it, on a special classic server. The new one would encompass several servers. If they could do it right, now that would be fun!

But honestly, they're better off just making EQ3. And, EQ2 runs circles around EQ1, so why waste time. There's a lot in EQ2 I'd love to see in EQ1. I really don't know why someone would pick WoW over EQ2.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 05-23-2010 at 12:30 AM..
Old 05-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Kobold

If they do it right with time locked progression so 1 guild cant progress the server past pop in less than 6 months, then I will check it out.

I have more confidence in the P99 devs and I love this server but one think that I will never get to experiance here is raiding Luclin and PoP, as well as having AA and those 3 things are some of my favorite times in EQ.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:27 AM
Orc

ah screw live. Let them scrub all the sub 10's in the merge. Its just not worth playing and its not like my 10mil pp on my banker could even really buy shit with the inflation rate.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Large Rat

Just don't think Live will do it right.

I LOVE this server right now and the community it is building. They will never have that on Live. If most of the players that would go to the new server heard about p99, they would jump here in a heartbeat.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony210 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If they do it right with time locked progression so 1 guild cant progress the server past pop in less than 6 months, then I will check it out.

I have more confidence in the P99 devs and I love this server but one think that I will never get to experiance here is raiding Luclin and PoP, as well as having AA and those 3 things are some of my favorite times in EQ.
The ultimate answer would be guild-locked progression or something. The problem with time-locked progression is that people who come late never get a chance to experience it. If there was a way to allow anyone, whether they come early or not, to experience old content the way it was meant to be experienced, then they'd have an answer. Just reproducing the way progression was in 2006 but making it time-locked is too easy. It's so easy it's cheap. The 50/51 server is also the same pattern. Too easy. They just can't come up with original, inspiring servers because they don't want to invest in them. They don't got guts, and they don't got the talent. Something tells me 9 out of 10 of them would rather work on Free Realms or EQ3. They're bored sick of EQ1.

Can you blame them? I don't. It's all about making waves. Working on EQ1 is not helping their resume. Look, to the industry it's all about beating WoW, not milking whatever is left of EQ1. To survive these days, you have to be on a leading edge success. You have to show you can beat WoW. That's what they're looking for. Sure, you can nail a lower job, but most of them want to get better and shine before they get too old. They don't want to waste time on dead projects like EQ1. It would take a miracle to change this. The order of the universe is that things get old. Software gets old. It's the way things go. If you don't move fast enough, you get swept away.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 05-23-2010 at 12:42 AM..
Old 05-23-2010, 03:30 AM
Kobold

Only if it had an interesting ruleset. My ultimate would be a PvP-enabled progression server. I would have to resub for that just to see the chaos that would ensue. You'd have your few hard core guilds trying to unlock shit as fast as possible and a ton of people doing everything they can to keep it from happening.

But since this is SoE i know there's zero chance of anything like that.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As much as I would love to play live... SoE has lost every bit of my confidence over the years. I believe the team here is truly 10 times more capable as volunteers. P1999 is better at programing, research, and catching hackers... hell even better at customer support from what I have seen so far.

Even if they do allow global chats ;p
this, times 10

I would not go back to SOE for EQ anything.

I am getting my EQ rocks off and more right here.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Aviak

I'll see, who knows maybe they'll get a clue this time?

/shrug

My ride
Old 05-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Planar Protector

soe miserabely failed on progression servers and on 50/51 servers too

P99 alone is better in any pov compared to combine/the sleeper

they wont lure me back those suckers
Closed Thread