Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 08:19 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just make to hold still when you get summoned and wait for the magician to log out. They'll probably have it timed to summon you after the pather goes by, with enough time for them to cast, camp out, and for you to get to the castle before it comes back.
Better yet, ask the summoning magician what they need you to do.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:04 PM
Sarnak

I coth 52+ and I /Q out and tell them not to move until I am out of the game. Never seen a death, never cared where pather was.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:34 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I took my necro in at like 52. I had harmshield and quivering veil ready, just in case, but I didn't need to use them.

Just make to hold still when you get summoned and wait for the magician to log out. They'll probably have it timed to summon you after the pather goes by, with enough time for them to cast, camp out, and for you to get to the castle before it comes back.
Quivering Veil of Xarn is like 57 or 58...
Old 07-02-2018, 07:19 AM
Planar Protector

I'm not sure if P99 has this implemented, but Torven has done some excellent research into Aggro / Hate mechanics on Live, see here:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39819

Check out this section:
Quote:
Level disparity with the NPC does NOT affect the distance/radius it will proximity aggro on the player.

This is a commonly held myth. Level 1s will aggro at the same distance level 100s will.
Before calling BS on this I suggest reading his entire post, it is some legit in depth analysis.

So basically... on the coth to PoM, if P99 has Torven's observations implemented, a level 46 should be able to get a coth and avoid aggro just as well as a level 60. Can test this out here on some undead mob that would aggro both a level 1 or a level 60 and see if the distance is the same.

Some other great gems in that thread too, particularly the leash distances tested on Al'Kabor. Sirens Grotto is 200, Chardok is 280. So basically if you had the right bow / arrow combo you could just kill an NPC that is out of range without being aggroed. It may make pulling some mobs easier, others harder (Fellspine?). Of course Chardok being 280 brings into question how classic those 100+ PBAoE pulls were (I'm sure it still could be done, but needing much more care, as would train pulling royals to zone).

Would assume Haynar / Nilbog is aware of all this info, but not sure which parts they felt were adjusted differently in classic.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure if P99 has this implemented
Don't think it has... on a level 1 a decaying skeleton will aggro you from a ways away but at level 60 you have to walk right over it.

I have cothed chars of all sizes at 54 with no trouble, but we always camp the mage before the coth-ee touches their keyboard.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:24 AM
Kobold

I coth into the corner so tucked that you are kind of stuck. I ask for people to be shrunk or FD. No moving, no sitting. Level 52 Min. I camp out first then advise them to /rewind every 10-15 seconds to shake free and run across to click asap.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I believe Haynar found that leash range isn’t check until after the first 15 or 30 seconds? IE in regular pulling situations, the mob would close the distance to you before the short leash range mattered.

Also of notable Al’Kabor annecdotes, in very few cases the leash range varied by mob within a single zone. VP dragons had infinite leash while the trash had 200 or something very small.
From Torven's research:
Quote:
You'll notice that a few zones/NPCs have a forget distance of 200. What happens when you wear a extended range focus and nuke from beyond 200? Good question. What happens is the mob doesn't chase you, even as you're killing it. It just stands there and dies.
Doesn't mention any kind of 15-30 second delay? Unsure if above is from Live or AK.

I saw his mention on VP dragons, but didn't say infinite, but indeed larger range.

All in all, very interesting stuff. Crazy to think how much specifics were implemented to the hate mechanics, I think most assume it's pretty basic.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:13 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a commonly held myth. Level 1s will aggro at the same distance level 100s will.
I think anyone who has ever used an Eye of Zomm would dispute that being the case on P99.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triiz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think anyone who has ever used an Eye of Zomm would dispute that being the case on P99.
I seem to recall a dev interview where it said mobs have a dice roll when deciding whether to proximity aggro or not (or even assist). Those interviews are always taken with a grain of salt, so I'd be curious to know the details of how Torven tested this.

If the dice roll was true, it could theoretically be possible to aggro the same distance, but it would just take longer for the NPC to decide to attack a higher level player, which could give the illusion that the range is different, but if a level 1 (eye of zomm) was nearby they would almost always decide to attack instantly at max distance.

I really don't know, just spit balling.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Planar Protector

There was a retroactive AI overhaul on live, somewhere about the time shrouds/monster missions were added to the game iirc, so variable by level aggro ranges could be something that was in game and was later cut.
Closed Thread