Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbinbad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fix'd
Actually, it is in fact me not I.

I want to thank .... for chatting with (remove Nilbog and) me.

[YES] For chatting with me.

[NO] For chatting with I.

The rule is that you come after those listed as the nouns or direct objects... and that to determine the appropriate use of I or me you remove others in the list and form the sentence with you as the only noun/D.O.

Edit: My god, the grammar nazi in me wanted to jump on this so quickly, that I hadn't caught Rogean's absolutely correct defense of his use of me and not I. Sorry for the late back-up!
Double-Edit: And with my lack of evidence other than my own personal experience with the rules of grammar, my back-up is unnecessary and trite at this stage of the thread. I may just remove it.
Followup-Edit: Nah.

Truth.
Last edited by Cowboy; 04-04-2010 at 01:21 AM..
Old 04-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Sarnak

I didn't pass English in college.
But I passed Spanish..
And it was because of rules like these..
I speak English.!
Old 04-04-2010, 03:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nial [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Published Grammar Manual

when was the last time you ever saw one?
Rules of MLA writing style or some such in English 1a, why?
Old 04-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to BuzWeaver Send a message via Yahoo to BuzWeaver

Thanks to the article I finally jumped on-board. Some of my old guild mates had mentioned the EQEMU back when it first came out, however I had other things going on at the time.

The guys who put this all together have done an amazing job, no question their love for the game is shinning through and thanks to them we can enjoy the glory days. I'm really excited to learn more and will be perusing the forums here to learn a little more.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Sarnak

this is great news guys, I sure hope your ready for the onslaught!
Old 04-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Kobold

and i hope hes ready for the asshatish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] ITS AWESOMES
Old 04-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Orc

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/myself.html - Common Errors in English Lang - 2nd Edition

Quote:
All this confusion can easily be avoided if you just remove the second party from the sentences where you feel tempted to use “myself” as an object or feel nervous about “me.” You wouldn’t say, “The IRS sent the refund check to I,” so you shouldn’t say “The IRS sent the refund check to my wife and I” either.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:24 AM
Planar Protector

In English, the pronoun in a prepositional phrase is ALWAYS in the accusative...
for example...
"with John and me" NEVER "with John and I"
"between you and me" NEVER "between you and I"
"I hit the ball for him to catch" NEVER "I hit the ball for he to catch"
"With John and me in charge we will succeed" NEVER "With John and I in charge we will succeed"

has nothing to do with predicate or subject in this situation...any time a pronoun is governed by a preposition (i.e. a prepositional phrase) the pronoun must be the accusative in English (object pronoun).

This is often confused by native speakers of English because we naturally say things like:
"This is HIM" when picking up the phone. We are taught by some (usually angry) adult in about 3rd grade that we are wrong for saying that and that we should say, "This is HE", which is (of course) actually correct grammar.

However, after that embarrassing lesson (which most people don't really understand) we feel unsure of ourselves whenever we say ME HIM etc....and start to substitute I and HE all over the place. This is usually wrong.

In the subject predicate of a sentence English (and a number of other languages) use the nominative form of the pronoun. The subject predicate is almost always identified with a "to be" verb in English (i.e. is, was, am, etc.)
So....
"This is he" is correct....NEVER "This is him" (((IS = TO BE VERB = SUBJECT PREDICATE)))
"He hit him" is correct....NEVER "He hit he" (((HIT = ACTION VERB = OBJECT PREDICATE= accusative pronoun)))

This concludes my free English grammar lesson...next week I will discuss the proper use of the subjunctive mood in English (a dying art which if it WERE revived would change the world)---giggle if you caught the subjunctive there.
Last edited by fastboy21; 04-05-2010 at 02:31 AM..
Old 04-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via MSN to Jify

It's Monday, can't read the article. /cry
Old 04-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Sarnak

Is anyone worried this could draw TOO much undue attention, and get Sony jumping down our throats? I hope this isn't the case. I hope that it's an unfounded fear! Just don't want to see this awesome server get shut down.