Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
  • Rogean: Spam Prevention: Players level 1-4 can only send 1 message into OOC and Auc 3 times per minute. Players over level 4 can send 10 messages per minute.
we have the spammer now annoying us with only 1 message a minute..
how about dont allow certain badwords in OOC/auction?
if the sentence contains one of the badwords, it will get rejected.

[50 Warrior] Rumzuck Umbatsch (Ogre) <Remedy>
[34 Druid] Vito Corleone (Wood Elf) <Europa>
[35 Necromancer] Torak (Dark Elf) <Europa>
[13 Shadow Knight] Rumzerg (Dark Elf) <Europa>

EQEmuLauncher
Have your files up to date, switch between servers nice and easy, and more!
http://moestaverne.com/

Old 05-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zordana [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
we have the spammer now annoying us with only 1 message a minute..
how about dont allow certain badwords in OOC/auction?
if the sentence contains one of the badwords, it will get rejected.
Unfortunately trolls and spammers will always find some way around filters, even if they have to split the "bad" words up or misspell them. The only way to completely prevent spamming is to remove chat entirely, since even restricting it to single zone allows a spammer to spam that zone. I'd say 1 message per minute is a low enough threshold to be able to ignore idiots, without resorting to constantly nerfing legitimate uses for chat as well as the spammers.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Skeleton

We could always have GLOBAL /ooc accept messages from characters above level 4 or 5.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

reported dot damage was added into the patch of june 11 2003.

dot duration ending messages have been in the game since launch. they did make sure ALL dots reported correctly in 2005 which wasnt the case previously.

the patch of sept 26th 2002 included this line

The "Your XXX Spell Has Worn Off" messages for DoT spells will now go
to the right character.

that certainly implies they were in previously however buggy

after spending most of a shift reading patch messages between actual work i can say there are no other patch messages between launch and dec 2007 that mention dot duration reporting other than the few already referenced.
Last edited by moebius8; 05-07-2010 at 07:56 PM..
Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have all my logs from combine server. I had other hits turned on too. In a raiding guild. Yea.. You can imagine how much space thats taking up (like 10 gigs?)
how many entries in that 10 gig log do you have me grabbing peoples butts?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:23 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default DoT damage:

On the one hand:

DoTs were very literally the *only* type of offensive damage that wasn't reported. It might seem absurd for Verant (and p1999) to not have DoT damage in the mix.

On the other hand:

There was a good reason for it. The DoT damage had a variable duration and total damage was based on whether the MoB was running or not, so it made sense not to list damage, as it was never going to even necessarily last the same number of ticks per casting, depending on how much (and what type of) running the enemy did, nor would it necessarily do the same damage per tick based on the same factor-- the type and amount of running the MoB was doing:

Quote:
September 13, 1999...
...DoT Changes:
- If the monster is in melee with you, there is no change to how a DoT spell works.
- If the monster is running away from you (fear, wounded, etc.), there is no change to how a DoT spell works.
- If the monster is moving when the damage from the DoT is applied (happens every few seconds), it will take 66% of the damage that it would have taken.
- DoT spells have all had their duration slightly increased. If the monster moves for 18 seconds during a fight, it will take as much damage from the DoT as it would before the patch. If the monster moves for less then 18 seconds during a fight, your DoT will do more damage
than it would have done before the patch. If the monster moves more than 18 seconds during the fight, it will take less damage than it would have before the patch.

Yes, it makes it easier and more 'manageable' to have DoT damage listed per tick, but that's the whole freaking point. Those spells and their respective damage figures were supposed to be somewhat variable and unpredictable. It forced you to learn to play your class well, if you depended on debuffs and DoTs, because you had to really keep track of what you were doing. You didn't fzck around. You paid attention.

This is one of the reasons I love this server so much, and its players-- they want to do things the old way, because stuff wasn't handed to you then. They tend *not* to prefer WoWers, because before WoW, in EQ, the would-be-WoWers were the ones you added to your shitlist for *not* knowing their class and screwing the group over. Or else they were the ones who were such horrible powergamers that all they cared about was end-game raiding, rather than the experience that led to the end-game; those ones were almost worse, because they gave not two shits about other players *coughFOHcough*, they cared about parsing and maxing dps instead.

Contrastingly, the unknown element *forces* people to play the game more carefully, and that necessarily benefits the community and the entire game. This is especially important with matters like spells and combat, because these were facets of the game that affected everyone, not just one guy playing. If, for example, they made the 'combine' buttons destroy everything in the tradeskill bags, that's just annoying one person. No one in the group is going to die because Joey Leet wasn't careful about not hitting that combine button-- the combine button has nothing to do with Joey Leet failing to learn his goddamn class, casting fear in the middle of a dungeon, and train-wiping half the zone because he wasn't keeping track of snare.

I, at least, would request that you please remove damage over time messages until such time when they were implemented in Live. I still use the clock to keep track of DoTs and debuffs, especially when stacking them, because damage-per-tick spam gets completely lost in the 49 other things I'm trying to do in the middle of combat. I don't have time to sit there and count the number of damage ticks that get displayed, and if you do, then you're obviously not paying enough attention to everything else you should. Whereas, because I learned to play the game before the DoT info was added, all I have to do at any given point during a battle, is glance at the time to see if I need to recast anything, because I was keeping up with shit rather than letting the game do it for me. Because, when the game was new, if you didn't do that, you substantially decreased your odds of survival.

But, that's just my opinion. Parsing has other purposes than maxing dps on this server.

/rantsauce
Old 05-11-2010, 04:43 AM
Planar Protector

I sort of agree with that.

I enchant things...
Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Kobold

Send a message via AIM to BuzWeaver Send a message via Yahoo to BuzWeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmoderntease0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On the one hand:

DoTs were very literally the *only* type of offensive damage that wasn't reported. It might seem absurd for Verant (and p1999) to not have DoT damage in the mix.

On the other hand:

There was a good reason for it. The DoT damage had a variable duration and total damage was based on whether the MoB was running or not, so it made sense not to list damage, as it was never going to even necessarily last the same number of ticks per casting, depending on how much (and what type of) running the enemy did, nor would it necessarily do the same damage per tick based on the same factor-- the type and amount of running the MoB was doing:

Yes, it makes it easier and more 'manageable' to have DoT damage listed per tick, but that's the whole freaking point. Those spells and their respective damage figures were supposed to be somewhat variable and unpredictable. It forced you to learn to play your class well, if you depended on debuffs and DoTs, because you had to really keep track of what you were doing. You didn't fzck around. You paid attention.

This is one of the reasons I love this server so much, and its players-- they want to do things the old way, because stuff wasn't handed to you then. They tend *not* to prefer WoWers, because before WoW, in EQ, the would-be-WoWers were the ones you added to your shitlist for *not* knowing their class and screwing the group over. Or else they were the ones who were such horrible powergamers that all they cared about was end-game raiding, rather than the experience that led to the end-game; those ones were almost worse, because they gave not two shits about other players *coughFOHcough*, they cared about parsing and maxing dps instead.

Contrastingly, the unknown element *forces* people to play the game more carefully, and that necessarily benefits the community and the entire game. This is especially important with matters like spells and combat, because these were facets of the game that affected everyone, not just one guy playing. If, for example, they made the 'combine' buttons destroy everything in the tradeskill bags, that's just annoying one person. No one in the group is going to die because Joey Leet wasn't careful about not hitting that combine button-- the combine button has nothing to do with Joey Leet failing to learn his goddamn class, casting fear in the middle of a dungeon, and train-wiping half the zone because he wasn't keeping track of snare.

I, at least, would request that you please remove damage over time messages until such time when they were implemented in Live. I still use the clock to keep track of DoTs and debuffs, especially when stacking them, because damage-per-tick spam gets completely lost in the 49 other things I'm trying to do in the middle of combat. I don't have time to sit there and count the number of damage ticks that get displayed, and if you do, then you're obviously not paying enough attention to everything else you should. Whereas, because I learned to play the game before the DoT info was added, all I have to do at any given point during a battle, is glance at the time to see if I need to recast anything, because I was keeping up with shit rather than letting the game do it for me. Because, when the game was new, if you didn't do that, you substantially decreased your odds of survival.

But, that's just my opinion. Parsing has other purposes than maxing dps on this server.

/rantsauce
I respect and understand your point, although I don't necessarily agree with the analogy. How someone plays wouldn't necessarily be determined on whether or not they can see DoT damage or Spell duration. I'd go out on a limb here and say that a majority of the people playing on the Project are experienced players.

The common mantra is "this is the old school way" and in turn people are trying to subscribe to the idea that anything out-side of that framework diminishes the game. Whether I can or can't see DoT Damage, Spell duration or even have miss-combines just doesn't detract from my experience. The bottom line is, is the game fun.
Old 05-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Fire Giant

Are we going to get a worn off msg for "detrimal" spells this next patch? I know they existed at least in kunark because I use to Tigirs Insect(AOE slow) packs of mobs then 1 by 1 slow them watching when tigirs wore off to know they were all slowed at a higher %
Closed Thread