Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

View Poll Results: Shadwoknight vs Necromancer?
Shadowknight 14 28.57%
Necromancer 24 48.98%
Shadowtowernecromancerdruidbushes. 11 22.45%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 12:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenyo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
why would anyone play an sk
Probably for HT and FD and a melee class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can clerics melee and leverage str to fight their foes as well?
Sort of, up until about lvl 35+ ish but then it starts to get really slow/hard/boring depending on gear. Definately not past 40.. And the mobs a cleric can leverage STR and melee vs at 35 aren't anywhere as tough as what a Paladin could get away with by 40+ If that makes any sense...

So for example, clerics can beat on mobs at around lvl 27 at 35, but a paladin can probably most definitely beat on a lvl 30 mobs. (if geared well).

If your character has no good gear your just outa luck IMO. In the end it kinda comes out in a wash because it's hard and slow for a lvl 60 paladin to kill lvl 50 mobs anyway.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:17 PM
Banned

Clerics quickly fall behind because their melee skills cap at like 180 and they lack parry and riposte, and even bash is more than useful. Which they don't get on P99 blue.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:17 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Probably for HT and FD and a melee class.

Sort of, up until about lvl 35+ ish but then it starts to get really slow/hard/boring depending on gear. Definately not past 40.. And the mobs a cleric can leverage STR and melee vs at 35 aren't anywhere as tough as what a Paladin could get away with by 40+ If that makes any sense...

So for example, clerics can beat on mobs at around lvl 27 at 35, but a paladin can probably most definitely beat on a lvl 30 mobs. (if geared well).

If your character has no good gear your just outa luck IMO. In the end it kinda comes out in a wash because it's hard and slow for a lvl 60 paladin to kill lvl 50 mobs anyway.
This sounds too complicated, I hear HT can kill mobs really fast, I'm going to play a SK. Also yay for troll
Old 08-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Banned

Troll SK is good.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:43 PM
Planar Protector

My 1hb is capped at 175. It's really annoying when you're trying to finish off a running level 30 mob and keep missing or hitting for minimal damage. I sometimes end up rooting them and using my Donal's boots because their 12dps is sadly better, or just saying screw it I need to med anyway and drop another 1.5 minutes worth of mana nuking them.

-Mcoy
Old 08-17-2018, 04:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My 1hb is capped at 175. It's really annoying when you're trying to finish off a running level 30 mob and keep missing or hitting for minimal damage. I sometimes end up rooting them and using my Donal's boots because their 12dps is sadly better, or just saying screw it I need to med anyway and drop another 1.5 minutes worth of mana nuking them.

-Mcoy
I second that. Pretty much was my experience also.

-----------------------------

on a side note, I think lay on hands = paladin alive for longer to do more dps than an eventual 750? 800? HT?

Cheal obviously is a game changer if you have another person playing a melee. That requires two people though.

I think SK sorta wins out though in the mid-range because taps + dots and it's not about staying alive forever, if you can't kill the mob anyway, what does an extra 1000 damage matter?
Old 08-17-2018, 10:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
on a side note, I think lay on hands = paladin alive for longer to do more dps than an eventual 750? 800? HT?
That's if the HT isnt resisted, which it seems to be a good 50% of the time even on blue mobs. My SK is only 40 though. Maybe it gets better?
Old 08-17-2018, 11:43 PM
Planar Protector

Rogue is the right choice. Let everyone else do the leveling for you.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogue is the right choice. Let everyone else do the leveling for you.
True. Get a serrated bone dirk and a bloodpoint. You're basically a SK. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-18-2018, 01:07 AM
Fire Giant

SKs are underrated. If you look at classic, yeah, it was a sad existence. Kunark brought a mana pool balance, and some solid gear options (unless you played Iksar, of course). Velious obviously was quite a boon for the class, at the high end.

Solo it is OK if you have good gear. But the casting side is really bad until later levels. Best aggro-yanking in the game, tank-wise. With Death Peace, Darkness and a CoS, the best puller in the game during the Kunark->PoP era.

Oh! And fear-kiting the 4-neck dragons in WW was also possible in Velious era. I don't think I ever tried, but I knew a few BiS folks who did regularly.

TL;DR: Necro
Closed Thread